Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 07:26 PM

20,170 posts, read 24,225,373 times

Advertisements

This is proactive, positive, and cool.

Daytona will not ban Confedereat flag but will offer flag exchange | NASCAR Talk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 10:49 PM

Wow. Tough crowd.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:46 PM

5,661 posts, read 3,496,896 times
Hang in there, NASCAR.
And don't conform.

Good for them.

Gentlemen, start your engines !

Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,555,998 times
In the Miami area they have been having protests with Nascar attendees parading the Confederate flags down the streets of US Highway 1 since 2004.

The Homestead-Miami Speedway also has seen racial discrimination protests in the past. In 2004, an organization called the National Association for Minority Race Fans led a small group of protesters near the raceway's entrance for about two hours before a race, according to The Miami Herald.

NASCAR sponsors may face boycott over Confederate flag | South Florida Times

Old 07-02-2015, 12:29 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,358,326 times
My guess.

Anyone selling Confederate Flags at the event is going to make a huge amount of money.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:05 PM

3,624 posts, read 2,461,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
cool.. flag exchange
My opinion, not cool.

NASCAR is a sport that has been primarily built and supported by Southerners (almost exclusively in it's early years.) Now they are ungraciously trying to demonize a Southern symbol. People like going to sporting events to escape politics.. now NASCAR will be confronting their Southern patrons w/hostile politics. What part of this is cool (?)

This is no different in spirit to a ban, because by encouraging people to turn in Confederate flags, they are still implying there is something wrong w/the flag, & it should be erased. Many people don't agree with that bigoted position. NASCAR is showing contempt for their Southeastern roots.. /peace

Old 07-02-2015, 01:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,716,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
In the Miami area they have been having protests with Nascar attendees parading the Confederate flags down the streets of US Highway 1 since 2004.

The Homestead-Miami Speedway also has seen racial discrimination protests in the past. In 2004, an organization called the National Association for Minority Race Fans led a small group of protesters near the raceway's entrance for about two hours before a race, according to The Miami Herald.

NASCAR sponsors may face boycott over Confederate flag | South Florida Times
Yeah, I saw this happening because of NASCAR's clientel. Don't get me wrong, it is great that NASCAR has done this BUT I knew it wouldn't work.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:14 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,157,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
My guess.

Anyone selling Confederate Flags at the event is going to make a huge amount of money.
Well yeah, talk about catering to your niche.

Old 07-02-2015, 04:23 PM

7,572 posts, read 5,279,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Flags for guns might work.

Old 07-02-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
My opinion, not cool.

NASCAR is a sport that has been primarily built and supported by Southerners (almost exclusively in it's early years.) Now they are ungraciously trying to demonize a Southern symbol. People like going to sporting events to escape politics.. now NASCAR will be confronting their Southern patrons w/hostile politics. What part of this is cool (?)

This is no different in spirit to a ban, because by encouraging people to turn in Confederate flags, they are still implying there is something wrong w/the flag, & it should be erased. Many people don't agree with that bigoted position. NASCAR is showing contempt for their Southeastern roots.. /peace
I respectfully disagree. There is nothing anti-Southern or hostile about requesting that Confederate flags be exchanged for Old Glory on Independence weekend. If the Confederacy still existed, you would have a point, but it does not.

And neither I nor anyone I know disrespects Southerners. After all, countless Southern boys have laid down their lives for the USA in all of our wars. Only an ignorant person would insult the South intentionally. And NASCAR is not run by ignorant people.

I stand by my original post. This is a small step forward to help heal our cultural divide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events