U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 10:08 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,675,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Does anyone really believe that?
The "real" unemployment rate is frightening.
The workforce participation rate is the lowest in decades.
It doesn't look good when you accept one set of government numbers but not another. Some will accuse you of cherrypicking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
How many jobs were created since Obama took office?
The country lost millions of jobs in 2009 due to the Great Recession. Since then, the economy has created jobs for 64 straight months, for a total of 12.8 million jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
More seasonal and low paying jobs with more workers making section 8 housing and food stamps, I do give them credit for working at least. How about we lower taxes on the middle class and upper middle class, the super rich and super poor are destroying America.
Wages are up and the employment numbers are seasonally adjusted. Try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Obama Economy is now officially worse than the Jimmy Carter economy of 1977. And Carter had to deal with oil shortages.

I'm not sure why anyone would Thank Obama for that.
The labor force participation rate was lower under Eisenhower. Using you logic, he presided over the worst economy of the postwar era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 10:16 PM

14,659 posts, read 9,709,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I

The country lost millions of jobs in 2009 due to the Great Recession. Since then, the economy has created jobs for 64 straight months, for a total of 12.8 million jobs.
How many lost? Looks like your calculator works only one way.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:21 PM

14,154 posts, read 11,630,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Does anyone really believe that?
The "real" unemployment rate is frightening.
The workforce participation rate is the lowest in decades.
Yep. Tbags the caveat here. SL many people have just quit looking for work, or are considered unemployable, this 5.3% is 5.3% of..what? Exactly? If O is taking credit for anything, its still the highest unemployment rate , and worst economy, in history.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:26 PM

17,628 posts, read 11,170,411 times
Ya know, Obama could be standing in the street handing out $100 bills and a lot of you would still find something to bi**h about ! You can slice it any way you want, but the economy is a hell of a lot better than when he took his oath. I work in the marine industry, and it was DEAD 8 years ago. Now people are spending money on boats again, and that is a true indicator of how things are. When times are bad the last thing they spend money on are toys.

But some of you are just too pig headed to ever lower yourselves to saying something nice about the man.

Don

Old 07-02-2015, 11:31 PM

3,171 posts, read 4,637,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Ya know, Obama could be standing in the street handing out $100 bills and a lot of you would still find something to bi**h about ! You can slice it any way you want, but the economy is a hell of a lot better than when he took his oath. I work in the marine industry, and it was DEAD 8 years ago. Now people are spending money on boats again, and that is a true indicator of how things are. When times are bad the last thing they spend money on are toys.

But some of you are just too pig headed to ever lower yourselves to saying something nice about the man.

Don
I can say something nice about him. It will be really nice when him and all his "czars" are gone, provided he can be limited in doing too much irreparable harm by that time.

The biggest problem with his favorite unemployment number is it counts all the people who once had full employment and now are going broke having only part time jobs at low pay. Add that to the multitudes that have given up working at all and forced to live on the government dole (let's not forget that national debt that will hit $ 20 trillion by the time he's done) and THAT'S the real situation our country is in.

No need to get into his record on all foreign affairs where he's proven to be way over his head.

Yep, thanks Barry.

Last edited by jmgg; 07-03-2015 at 12:01 AM..

Old 07-02-2015, 11:45 PM

1,384 posts, read 816,249 times
From what I've seen, the people that don't work are ones that simply choose not to. The jobs are there. Americans are just lazy.

Personally, I'm a conservative, but I don't think Obama was that bad. He seems to have treated military vets (which I am) pretty well. Though, he totally screwed up health care (even worse than it was before).

Old 07-03-2015, 12:20 AM

9,426 posts, read 7,080,103 times
This is a good measuring stick..

Obama’s Numbers (January 2015 Update)

You can look at that and see.. There's good, there's bad..

That is since his inauguration in Jan '09.. Jobs are up, but only about half of the 12 million claim.

Consumer Prices are far outpacing wage growth.

Food Stamp recipients are way up, and home ownership is down..

For someone who fights against the 1%, Corporate Profits are sure doing good.

The S&P.. Looks like a bubble generating, but remember, it was way down when he took office, and dropped even more before rebounding to historic highs.

Debt held by the public is just scary.

But.. There is good.. Crude imports are way down, US production is way up.. But.. I'd say the production numbers will take a hit with gas prices such as they are.

I don't think you can classify it as a total failure as many want to do.. But neither can you consider it a success as the other half want to.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:32 AM

8,976 posts, read 8,102,339 times
d4g4m-----Right on all counts.

Of course that 5.3% is the U3 unemployment rate.

But the U6 known as the real unemployment rate is twice the U3 and much more representative of the real unemployment rate. Presently 10.5%.

U3 keeps going down, and the real unemployment rate U6 stays high.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
How many lost? Looks like your calculator works only one way.
The economy lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5 million jobs in 2009, the height of the Great Recession. I'm not one to pass the buck, and Lord knows Obama hasn't been perfect, but it's extremely difficult to blame him for those job losses.

One could argue that the recovery was slower than average. But you can easily counter that by pointing out that the recession was far worse than average too. This isn't a dotcom bust we're talking about here.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
d4g4m-----Right on all counts.

Of course that 5.3% is the U3 unemployment rate.

But the U6 known as the real unemployment rate is twice the U3 and much more representative of the real unemployment rate. Presently 10.5%.

U3 keeps going down, and the real unemployment rate U6 stays high.
Why would a metric that factors employed persons be more representative than an actual unemployment rate? Because it's higher?

Conservatives never had a problem with the U3 rate before January 2009. Now they want to look at every number but that one. Sorry, it's down to 5.3%. Get over it. Besides, the U6 rate is always higher than U3 by a sizeable margin. 10.5% is the lowest its been in 7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events