U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2015, 03:30 PM
 
45,062 posts, read 17,902,619 times
Reputation: 18887

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
You do realize I was providing an example?
Without any context to what was actually said by me in this topic. If you wish to have a discussion then stick to what was posted and address it without generalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxtheRoadWarrior View Post
And you wonder why people either give up on discussions with the right or go for the ad hominem attacks What part of context do you not understand?.
I never said I wondered. In fact I said exactly why they do so. They don't want to address the actual point made. Case in point, you have yet to address any point I've made about the topic. Instead, you are trying to make it about me.

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 07-03-2015 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2015, 03:36 PM
 
45,062 posts, read 17,902,619 times
Reputation: 18887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Barbara View Post
The part where you claim this is proof that Obama has somehow failed. The dependent-to-worker ratio will go up again soon, but it has been DECLINING in recent years. Deal with it.
If you don't consider 95,000,000 out of work a failure of a President to deliver an economic plan that puts people to work in real jobs, then of course you are entitled to that opinion. I disagree with it. Obama has wasted Trillions in debt on failed "job stimulus" and ended up with a net job loss. A huge one.

As to what will happen in the future, one can say anything about that. But it's the results that matter. And since we don't know those yet, it's irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 03:39 PM
 
45,062 posts, read 17,902,619 times
Reputation: 18887
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoarrow View Post
Ever heard of population growth?

Only 11,000,000 were unemployed during The Great Depression so it must have been far better times
You are correct. The Obama Economy is not quite as bad as the Great Depression but good to see you are thinking in those terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 03:40 PM
 
12,842 posts, read 4,642,177 times
Reputation: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
What part of 95,000,000 not working do you not believe?
But the main reason labor force participation is declining is because of the aging of society and retirement, in addition to more young people going to school. This measure started declining 15 years ago and is likely to continue to decline in the coming decades as Americans get older and more people get educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 03:43 PM
 
45,062 posts, read 17,902,619 times
Reputation: 18887
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
But the main reason labor force participation is declining is because of the aging of society and retirement, in addition to more young people going to school. This measure started declining 15 years ago and is likely to continue to decline in the coming decades as Americans get older and more people get educated.
Nope. This is 95,000,000 Americans under 65 years old. This eliminates the first part of that argument. Second, someone going to school full time is not considered unemployed. So that eliminates the second part of your argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 03:45 PM
 
1,820 posts, read 1,315,766 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If you don't consider 95,000,000 out of work a failure of a President to deliver an economic plan that puts people to work in real jobs, then of course you are entitled to that opinion. I disagree with it. Obama has wasted Trillions in debt on failed "job stimulus" and ended up with a net job loss. A huge one.

As to what will happen in the future, one can say anything about that. But it's the results that matter. And since we don't know those yet, it's irrelevant.
Propaganda is irrelevant. Do you have anything else on the menu? It doesn't seem so to this point. By the way the LFPR in 1950 was 59.2%. In 1960, it was 59.4%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 03:49 PM
 
922 posts, read 825,494 times
Reputation: 1193
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You are correct. The Obama Economy is not quite as bad as the Great Depression but good to see you are thinking in those terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 03:53 PM
 
1,820 posts, read 1,315,766 times
Reputation: 1091
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
You are correct. The Obama Economy is not quite as bad as the Great Depression but good to see you are thinking in those terms.
As those not having been consumed by the raging fires of right-wing propaganda would know quite well, the economy that Obama has had to work with was the colossal strinking crash-and-burn mess that was created by the inane policies of George W Bush. From the penthouse to the outhouse in eight short years! And attempts to make repairs since have all been opposed by obstructionist Republicans convinced that a bad economy would be good for them at the polls. Bunch of self-serving, party-before-country, America-haters is all they amount to. How do you handle the stench of hanging out with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 03:54 PM
 
Location: La Mesa Aka The Table
7,484 posts, read 8,029,928 times
Reputation: 8512
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The economy has tanked under Obama. The fact that 95,000,000 Americans can't find work, for whatever reason, is proof enough of this.
I'm no fan of Obama, but tanked really?
My 401k is up 25% under Obama
The question to ask your self is, are we better off financially now then we were in 2008?
Hate him or not the answer is yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2015, 04:07 PM
 
12,842 posts, read 4,642,177 times
Reputation: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nope. This is 95,000,000 Americans under 65 years old. This eliminates the first part of that argument. Second, someone going to school full time is not considered unemployed. So that eliminates the second part of your argument.
No, it is everyone who is 16 years or older not working or looking for work. So if the unemployment rate is 50%, and 20% are working, then the labor force participation rate is 70%. If the unemployment rate is 5% and 65% are working, the rate is still 70%.

Someone going to school is not considered part of the labor force, and thus will cause the labor force participation rate to drop, just as people in their 50s and 60s who retire will cause the rate to drop. This rate has been dropping for 15 years now, and it will continue to drop in the coming decades as tens of millions of people will retire and more people will go to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top