U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 06:28 PM

15,951 posts, read 6,280,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Land of the free ... to move to another country? A recent poll of 2,000 adults concluded that 35% of Americans would consider quitting the US and living abroad. That number jumps to 55% in the 18 to 34 demographic, per the poll by Transferwise, a UK-based money transfer service.

Survey says: 35 percent of Americans would expatriate
I somehow doubt that most of those people would after examining other countries. The U.S. is still probably the best country in the world.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:43 PM

14,382 posts, read 9,091,615 times
I don't think that the U.S is the best country in the world that's arrogant thinking. I know we have considered moving out of the U.S from time to time & still might. Everyone has & let's be honest things here are not as we would like them to be. Nor are they in other countries either but at least they seemed to have learned what works & doesn't. We are still caught up on what's on the TV instead of getting involved with our government screwing us over. Any other country & they throw them out of office.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 PM

17,086 posts, read 9,882,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Land of the free ... to move to another country? A recent poll of 2,000 adults concluded that 35% of Americans would consider quitting the US and living abroad. That number jumps to 55% in the 18 to 34 demographic, per the poll by Transferwise, a UK-based money transfer service.

Survey says: 35 percent of Americans would expatriate
I would gladly live as a resident of another nation for a few years, and that is actually a possibility for us given my husband's career, but give up my citizenship? No. I'm quite happy to be an American, and that's the position taken by most people who indicated they would live elsewhere. In essence, the survey indicates that Americans (at least the sample who took part) have a sense of adventure, not that they would permanently renounce their citizenship.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:17 PM

12,851 posts, read 4,655,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I somehow doubt that most of those people would after examining other countries. The U.S. is still probably the best country in the world.
Its certainly great for billionaires. But is it the greatest for the middle class? Other developed countries have medicare for all, single payer health care, 6 weeks paid vacation a year required by law, tuition free public higher education and family friendly policies like affordable child care and many months of paid family leave required by law. America is a wealthy country and can also have this if voters elect politicians like Bernie Sanders that care about the middle class and dont elect politicians that just give tax breaks to their wealthy and powerful donors from Wall Street.

Last edited by PCALMike; 07-05-2015 at 07:33 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 07:24 PM

13,323 posts, read 25,582,469 times
Did the survey say where people wanted to go and what the requirements are to go to those places? I doubt people were wanting to go somewhere without clean water. Maybe they were thinking of European countries, maybe Denmark "1 happiness country," and so on. It's easy to say you'd want to move, but the realities of emigration/work/etc. can't be discounted.

Certainly people from all over the poorer world want to come to America or European countries for a better life- it depends on what is closest.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:27 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,668,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I bet they were all Conservatives too.
Wishing.......... doesn't make it true!

Old 07-05-2015, 07:32 PM

1,045 posts, read 729,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
I bet they were all Conservatives too.
I'm a conservative in the 18-34 demographic (19), and I honestly thought that a liberal would express interest in leaving the country. After all, so many of them love to burn the American flag and seem to have a general disdain for this great nation and its founding. I hope they leave! If only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Define America, it has changed to darn much to darn fast.
I don't care how much it changes, I will continue to define the United States as America and US citizens as Americans. People, especially in my age demographic, are always trying to change something. It's not really annoying to me, however, as I REFUSE to conform to political correctness!

Old 07-05-2015, 07:34 PM

4,925 posts, read 4,922,501 times
I would move to Canada or UK but I love the USA glad to be a USA citizen and love living here.

Old 07-05-2015, 07:41 PM

30,099 posts, read 16,639,284 times
I'd move to London in a red hot minute if i could afford to life where I would want to live! Alas, that's probably not going to happen

Old 07-05-2015, 07:59 PM

7,186 posts, read 11,237,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I dare say that if this is true, the vast majority have little clue about the rest of world.

I have been around the world 3 times. I have visited more than 60 countries at one time or another. When ever I got back to the USA I was more than glad to be here.

I have often thought about all the good things about the USA. If I really thought about it, I could fill up several pages on the benefits of living in the USA. So many thing we take for granted that simply do not exist in other places. Things like:

Being able to drink water out of the faucet in our own home. There are many places where people walk for miles to fill up a 5 gallon bucket to take home for water just for that one day.

The greatest highway system in the world, pot holes, traffic jams and all.

The ability to call 911 and have fire, EMS, police there to help you when you get in all kinds of trouble.

Though we are certainly not crime free, we don't have to worry about some faction down the road maundering through the streets chopping off arms, raping women, putting tires around your neck and setting them on fire ......

Our biggest daily issues revolve around finding a WiFi hot spot or waiting in line to eat yet another fatty hamburger.

Yes, there are exceptions. People are struggling to pay bills or are homeless. Though we have the greatest health care available, there are those that don't have access to it.

We are not perfect. When the rest of world gets in trouble, the USA is expected to come bail them out, and many times .... we do.

A large percent of our population is caring, and giving.

I hear stories about a homeless girl in LA excelling in school through hard work and effort and earning a scholarship to Harvard. I know that virtually every person in the USA truly has a chance to excel and have a good life, if they want to work for it. I don't care where you come from or what color you are.

I truly believe it is a land of unlimited opportunity. If you don't believe it or don't like it, I do not have a problem with you giving up your citizenship and taking up residence in another country.
Well said! We looked at possibly retiring in Ecuador and the grass sure looked greener. However, when you make the comparison to what we'd get versus leave behind, it's a no-brainer for us. The USA is a very good place to live, warts and all! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or