U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:02 PM

10,765 posts, read 4,438,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Land of the free ... to move to another country? A recent poll of 2,000 adults concluded that 35% of Americans would consider quitting the US and living abroad. That number jumps to 55% in the 18 to 34 demographic, per the poll by Transferwise, a UK-based money transfer service.

Survey says: 35 percent of Americans would expatriate
You would prefer not being free to move to another country if you wanted to? Being willing to consider moving if the right opportunity presented itself is unreasonable?

Old 07-05-2015, 08:07 PM

7,328 posts, read 4,017,748 times
I would leave the U.S. and it would have nothing to do with the current state of politics or the economy. I would leave for so that I could experience a different way of life, different topography, and for the pure sense of adventure, and I don't think that I am alone in that regard.

Of the twenty some odd countries, I can think of at least five that I would be interested in relocating to, at least two in eastern Europe, one province in Canada, and two countries in South and Central America.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:08 PM

1,724 posts, read 889,359 times
I always wanted to retire to Mexico but that was before I had grandchildren.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:16 PM

5,459 posts, read 3,766,871 times
If I could find a job that enabled to me to live better than I do, heck yeah I'd take it, who wouldn't?

The world is becoming more globalized. Living nice in one country is about the same as living nice in another and that's what younger people realize and probably why their numbers are higher. I lived in Mexico for 6 months and my fiance lived in England for something like 8 months. We both liked it. Other countries are not hell-holes. I used to think so. Before I ever left the U.S., I used to think that we had the best country in the world in terms of the best, newest and shiniest infrastructure. Not true and I was quite surprised. Compare the subway system of Boston to the train system in Hong Kong, for example. Boston had some of the most advanced infrastructure in the world.... around 1910.

I looked into moving to Finland when I thought I had a job opportunity there but it fell apart. Generally speaking, foriegn employers prioritize their own nationals for jobs so it's not exactly easy to get decent jobs abroad from non-American sources.

On the other hand, there's the issue of feeling and being "at home" which you never quite get abroad. Even when you speak the language (I know Spanish) - there are little tics that you don't get; you're never quite one of them even when they accept you. Plus I just never got into soccer (football). No matter how hard I tried... yeah just don't like it. That was a problem making male friends my age in Mexico. Knowing how to navigate the culture effortlessly is worth something. Heck I don't quite feel at home outside my home state - which I haven't lived in for 3 years but it still feels kind of like I'm on vacation.

Usually, jobs overseas for Americans will pay a middle class wage by their standards which means living a lot lower. I have to say though, that in my experience EVERY country does health care better than the U.S. Every single country I've been to where I've had any contact with doctors or even just talked to people about their health care - it is not as much of a cluster as it is here in the U.S. In England it worked much better. In Mexico it worked much better. And cheaper.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:35 PM

5,660 posts, read 4,886,853 times
Some time back there was an article about the wealthy leaving ,
fact is if you've that kind of money, then you have enough influence in another country to do what you want.
Seems to me too that the there was a small country trying to establish it's self in Europe particularly liberal socially.
I hate getting old .I remember pieces of info, but any way , if you do the searching something should come up.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:44 PM

563 posts, read 385,019 times
I have visited a few foreign countries in my life. Most of them were nice places to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. London is amazing, but very expensive. Berlin was nice, too. I loved Uruguay and Argentina, the dollar does further there. Chinese food in China, did not taste as good as Chinese food in America (personal taste).

The USA is home. I wish we did not have all GMO food. Don't lecture me about it. It is my personal preference.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:28 PM

22,556 posts, read 10,432,078 times
There are 2 basic situations under which an American moves to another country. On the negative side, he dislikes life in America. On the positive side, he knows it's a great big interesting world out there with lots of cultures to learn about. I lived in Thailand for 2 years after retiring (and not for the reason so men do) and I loved every minute of discovery over there. I was never homesick, although at times I would run across photos or articles about places in America I wished I had visited.

And then the riots hit. Martial law was declared. Black smoke billowed down my street when the rioters burned about 30 major buildings. It was so nice to be able to come home to America and feel a bit more in control of my life.

But it was never about disliking America. It was all about liking the attributes of another country...at least for a while.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:59 PM

14,072 posts, read 16,098,416 times
So what.

I did for about a year and a half. Especially if you're young, why wouldn't you consider doing something like that if you had the opportunity? Just because you want to go abroad and live in another country and experience different things and broaden your horizons is no reflection on America being a horrible place. Actually, the only reflection of it being a horrible place is how closed-minded some, although certainly not all by any means, Americans are. Ugh, ugh Me American. 'Merica so good no one should ever want to experience nothin' else. Grow up. It's a big world out there. If you're in a position to, go out and enjoy it. It never was my intention to permanently reside in either Europe or Asia, but I'm glad I did it and I'd do it again.

Last edited by Malloric; 07-05-2015 at 10:13 PM..

Old 07-05-2015, 10:35 PM

2,429 posts, read 1,782,838 times

Old 07-05-2015, 11:47 PM

6,226 posts, read 5,366,624 times
I don't see why not. We're a globalized world and economy now. One should be able to move wherever there is opportunity. The days of staying in your small home town and hoping to make it is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or