Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 05:46 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Of course, these rats were first introduced by human fur ranchers themselves for their own profit. Now the nutria destroy the environment through their burrowing habits and their diet. All goes back to humans and their stupidity and greed.

Yeah, it was a bad idea.
Warm up the Wayback Machine, Mr. Peabody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 05:51 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
I eat meat, and I wear leather shoes, belts, jackets and bags that all originate from the same domestic animal grown for the meat. I wont get into an arguement about eating meat, or how humane those animals deaths are or are not; but at least they are dead by the time their bodies are skinned.

What turned me off to fur was learning that animals were mostly skinned alive, as that produces a more workable pelt for processing. That horrified me. Cute little Thumper from Bambi, stunned and then left writhing in pain is not a visual image I can handle emmotionally.

I havent bought even fur-cuffed gloves since the 80s, and I never will again. I can live with myself for being a meat eater and leather wearer; but I cant live with animals being skinned alive for simple adornment. That would give me nightmares.
I do not believe that any animals are skinned alive. Its pure BS that it would increase a more "workable" pelt. Makes no sense and creates a ton of problems.

No doubt there are many horrid practices especially in places like China. It would be very hard to determine exactly what leather/fur products are of chinese origin though. Many manufactures mix in fur/leather from multiple sources.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:12 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
I remember a particularly menacing high school boy who cruised around town in an early Fifties Hudson Hornet, lowered to the ground. It had early glasspack mufflers. Buggabuggabugga. His nickname was Gator. He once threatened to skin me. I think I was about nine years old at the time. I remember how revolting it seemed to me that one species would seek to obtain and don another species' skin or fur.

And then it came to me: only humans have the inclination, the wherewithal, and the motivation to remove the skins of other species to provide themselves with protection against the elements. We are indeed a fearsome species.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:20 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I'm in the middle of the road when it comes to this issue. The animals are there to use. Just make sure they aren't endangered or important to the environment, but killing an invasive species is probably okay, even if it doesn't seem politically correct. I don't buy into the idea that they are skinned alive; that would be painful to the animal and dangerous to the handler.

I am one-hundred percent against killing endangered animals for their fur. Commercial poachers should be hung from a tree and bull whipped, humanely of course.
It is very difficult to believe anyone would do such a thing, but unfortunately it is true. There are no animal protection laws in china. Various groups (non-peta affiliated) and individuals have undercover videos from fur farms and cat and dog meat markets in China. They do the same - and even worse - to the dogs and cats they consume. They believe the more pain the animal endures, the better the meat tastes. So they basically torture animals to death. In the case of dogs, they beat them first to keep them from biting, or tie their muzzles and their legs, often dislocating them. They have zero compassion, absolutely zero. There were many unsuccessful attempts to stop the most recent dog and cat meat festival in Yulin, china, even by some chinese.

Old 07-11-2015, 06:25 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
It is very difficult to believe anyone would do such a thing, but unfortunately it is true. There are no animal protection laws in china. Various groups (non-peta affiliated) and individuals have undercover videos from fur farms and cat and dog meat markets in China. They do the same - and even worse - to the dogs and cats they consume. They believe the more pain the animal endures, the better the meat tastes. So they basically torture animals to death. In the case of dogs, they beat them first to keep them from biting, or tie their muzzles and their legs, often dislocating them. They have zero compassion, absolutely zero. There were many unsuccessful attempts to stop the most recent dog and cat meat festival in Yulin, china, even by some chinese.
Don't get your dog meat from China... Start a campaign to save the dogs and cats...

Old 07-11-2015, 06:53 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
Genesis 9:3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:50 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,036,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
I don't doubt that there are some horrid practices in places like China. Honestly I avoid any animal or plant products from there if at all possible. Its not like this is an industry wide practice though and any call to boycott all fur/leather because of it is illogical. You don't avoid seafood because of the way things are done in China, you avoid seafood imported from China. You don't avoid ice cream because Blue Bell had a listeria problem, you avoid Blue Bell ice cream.

Just buy your products from reputable dealers that use suppliers that don't deal with Chinese materials.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:04 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,146,559 times
http://wn.com/animals_are_skinned_al...nese_fur_farms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip OK View Post
I have never trapped, but I have friends that have and I have been at their place when they brought their catch in. Uniformly, the animals were dead before they started skinning them.

Think about trying to handle, much less skin, a fox, or a bobcat, or a weasel such as a mink. Or a skunk for that matter. You'd be bitten, slashed or sprayed before you got close.
Apparently not in China.

Raccoon Dog Skinned Alive Warning Graphic Footage - FaceDL Download Best Videos

Next time you see those cute fur-covered plastic kittens with the glass eyes for sale in Bed, Bath & Beyond or somewhere - think of this video. You would think it wouldnt take much effort to kill the poor things after they are skinned alive.

Trappers do not an industry make, but why trap if you can make a decent living another way?

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 07-11-2015 at 08:29 PM..

Old 07-11-2015, 08:18 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
I don't doubt that there are some horrid practices in places like China. Honestly I avoid any animal or plant products from there if at all possible. Its not like this is an industry wide practice though and any call to boycott all fur/leather because of it is illogical. You don't avoid seafood because of the way things are done in China, you avoid seafood imported from China. You don't avoid ice cream because Blue Bell had a listeria problem, you avoid Blue Bell ice cream.

Just buy your products from reputable dealers that use suppliers that don't deal with Chinese materials.
I have no idea if there are dealers that sell non-chinese furs. But I suspect those who buy fur coats don't care either way.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:22 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguardisle View Post
This season fur seems to be in and nobody not even Peta is saying a word about it. A while back Peta was very critical of Lady Gaga when she was seen wearing fur but now when it is being promoted by fashion designers and celebrities alike it means nothing? Even Peta is silent now that Katy Perry not only is seen wearing it but has become a paid spokesperson for fur posing for an advertisement wearing nothing but a big fur coat . Instead of being critical of her all the articles about it say is how sexy it is.Nothing about cruelty to animals! Even Peta appears to be letting it slide . I know they can be a little out there sometimes but at least they care about issues like this at least they used to. What is going on? Does anyone still feel strongly against weariing fur ? I personally have lost respect for Katy Perry.

Is anyone else disappointed ?

Katy Perry’s Newest Moschino Ad is Here — And It’s Steamy! (PHOTO) – Style News - StyleWatch - People.com

https://animalsmatter.wordpress.com/...ount-the-ways/

Nine Shocking Fur Facts | Features | PETA

Fur is CRUEL and UNNECESSARY! I dislike any celebrity or designer who wears it, creates with it, promotes it's use, or sells it.

Way before I stopped eating meat I hated fur. I disliked my mother's fur coats and vowed that I'd never wear one.

All we can do is continue to tell others how animals are tortured on fur ranches, and on factory farms.

SILENCE = DEATH.

Fur is just not cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events