U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 04:38 PM

5,395 posts, read 2,736,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Was there ever a good reality show? I really feel bad for people that watch any of that stuff. Just wow! Go outside and enjoy your life a little for goodness sake!
Catch a Contractor is a pretty neat reality show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 04:50 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,777,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Good post, gg,. Some people have physical or other issues that don't allow them to go out and live their lives as they would like to do. TLC could be a huge factor for those restricted by TEACHING or showing classic performances and more and teaching why certain movies or paintings are classic.

How about a show that visits art museums and teaches what is valuable about art or dance, music etc.? I have expectations the Learning Channel could enrich lives through teaching useful information.

MSR
This channel already exists. It's called PBS and it's government funded for a reason.

Those kinds of shows just don't turn the profits needed on today's networks.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:08 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,130,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
This channel already exists. It's called PBS and it's government funded for a reason.

Those kinds of shows just don't turn the profits needed on today's networks.
Thanks, WeHa. I perhaps didn't select the best examples. I think Undercover Boss is a good and useful reality show. I suggested a business use it just this past week. A show looking at education required for different professions or other subjects that actually teach would be a plus. Perhaps what I'll do is look at the list of 20+ sponsors and write some ideas that would be worth them funding. Sponsors like the giant food companies, Party City, David's Bridal (I think this one terminated support but am not positive), All state and others would benefit. The show Ty Pennington did, would be a good one to bring back. There were so many positive lessons in helping a family and rallying a local community to help too by volunteering hours and goods would be a welcome relief. A comment was made somewhere that I agree with. TLC has tried to show the more unusual or extreme lifestyles in a lot of their reality shows. When a channel does that, there are very often some ugly truths that are being overlooked (I paraphrased).

If a network can't program with consistently positive programming without worrying what unknown may erupt around the corner, maybe the parent network should end that channel until better staff with better programming ideas can be hired. Maybe the public needs asked what they would watch. I never claimed to be an expert in tv programming, but I did sign petitions more than once to get this one off the air, given all the denial of the parents about their son sexually abusing four of his sisters and another victim, and their failure to take responsibility for not keeping their home safe, let alone failing to get appropriate treatment for their victim daughters, let alone their perpetrator son and much more. I'm proud to have been one person to let advertisers and a station why a show should end. Others at CDF did the same, as well as hundreds of thousands other people. Not always do we unite and achieve the outcome we hope for. It's good for others to see it can be done.

I'm honestly not certain how these channels look at PBS as competition.

MSR

Old 07-19-2015, 11:18 PM

8,440 posts, read 11,130,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
They have been on tv too long. It's skewed their sense of "reality" and ability to live a normal life and make a living off camera, without cashing in on whatever remnants of celebrity the can find. There is nothing GOOD about that and I can't understand why anyone would allow their family to sell themselves short like this.
Ceece,

I agree. What's worse is putting a family that has a known teenage offender and four victim daughters in the public eye, but not being honest with either TLC or the public about the sexual abuse in their own family.. As I've written before, I believe the People magazine exclusive photo shoots, the books, the appearances on the Today Show with all the perks each tv appearance provided all should end. This family needs to focus on their family without producers, directors, or TLC being in their lives.

Hopefully, other families will learn and NOT subject their children from the delivery room forward into their lives.

MSR

Old 07-19-2015, 11:38 PM
AFP

6,898 posts, read 4,208,391 times
Not a surprise the writing was on the wall.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:50 AM

9,832 posts, read 7,657,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Oh my, aren't we sanctimonious?
Seems like child molestation is no big whoop to you. You are aware this is one of the most heinous crimes one human being can commit on another, yes?

Old 07-20-2015, 08:02 AM

14,063 posts, read 6,382,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Oh my, aren't we sanctimonious?
Sanctimonious about being outraged that a brother fondled his sisters? You bet. The fact that you're not makes me believe you've got a disturbing past....or present.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:21 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,364,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Now if only TLC would be taken off the air entirely the world would be a much better place. . .
I agree! I just read today that the show was cancelled. It sure took TLC long enough to finally do the right thing. I imagine higher ups will just continue on with more trash show programming even though trying to normalize these bizarre families repeatedly blows up in their face. How nice it would be if TLC would return to actually being "The Learning Channel." I won't hold my breath. I hope the Duggars fade away just like the Boo Boo clan.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:25 PM

23,980 posts, read 32,725,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I agree! I just read today that the show was cancelled. It sure took TLC long enough to finally do the right thing. I imagine higher ups will just continue on with more trash show programming even though trying to normalize these bizarre families repeatedly blows up in their face. How nice it would be if TLC would return to actually being "The Learning Channel." I won't hold my breath. I hope the Duggars fade away just like the Boo Boo clan.
I read on some website the other day that Amy Duggar (Jim Bob's niece) is disappointed that TLC isn't going to film her upcoming wedding.

Awww boo hoo, guess the coattail ride is over!

Old 07-24-2015, 04:13 PM

2,937 posts, read 1,777,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I read on some website the other day that Amy Duggar (Jim Bob's niece) is disappointed that TLC isn't going to film her upcoming wedding.

Awww boo hoo, guess the coattail ride is over!
Film.... More like pay for
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events