Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 06:44 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
She was compliant until he told her not to smoke in her OWN vehicle. Being defensive isn't illegal. He overstepped his authority. He was wrong.
He was wrong. He's one of those "respect my authority" kind of police. She is the type to act like a b**** when she's pulled over. He should not have made such a big issue out of her refusing to put her cigarette out, and she probably shouldn't have repeatedly called him a p*ssy cop and kicked him. The stop just before Bland's had him give a warning ticket to a young woman who was polite and cooperative. Believe me, DPS doesn't usually give warning tickets, so I was a little surprised at how polite he was to that girl. They are very by the book.

My old college roommate dated a cop, and he would put his badge on his truck window when driving so police wouldn't give him tickets. I remember him being mad about a DPS officer giving him a ticket just because it irritated him that the other cop thought he was above the law. They have a reputation as being very strict and by the book. Personally, that raised my respect level for DPS.

I still don't see how that cop's behavior at the traffic stop leads us to assume this woman was murdered. And the arresting officer is not the jailer, so the two things together only go towards her state of mind. I think she was scared. I think she hanged herself. I do not think she was murdered. That is really what is at issue here, not the traffic stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 06:44 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyadic View Post
She was compliant until he told her not to smoke in her OWN vehicle. Being defensive isn't illegal. He overstepped his authority. He was wrong.
I didn't say it was. I said he didn't need to request she put the cigarette out, although putting a cigarette out is not a huge deal. If she was trying to be combative it worked out well for her. Both are at fault.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:54 AM

1,556 posts, read 1,911,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I actually wrote that. Arresting a person's movements.
You wrote that it is, "form of arrest as it is a significant restraint of the driver's freedom which can evolve into an arrest with Miranda Rights and having to secure the person."

A routine traffic stop isn't a form of arrest. Traffic stop is a form of a Terry Stop which is a brief detention of a person by police on reasonable suspicion of involvement in criminal activity but short of probable cause to arrest.

The Supreme Court held that that 20 minutes or so is a reasonable timeframe for detaining someone. Reasonable suspicion means that there were objectively reasonable circumstances to suspect that the detained individual was involved in, or was about to be involved in a crime.

To arrest an individual, law enforcement officers need probable cause. An arrest is characterized by the idea that a reasonable person would not feel free to leave due to the actions of the law enforcement officers. This usually means that the officers take the individual into custody. Custody can mean a number of things. An individual may be taken into custody by driving them back to the police station. However, courts have also held custody to mean any situation in which an individual reasonably believes that they will not be able to leave within a short period of time.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:54 AM

981 posts, read 899,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Do people actually get pulled over by police in Texas for failing to signal when changing lanes or turning?

Personally I think it is really rude not to signal, yet at least 75% of Floridian drivers do not signal. I have never heard of or seen anyone being pulled over for it even when there are cops all over. I think cops do it only if they are targeting someone and want an excuse to pull them over.

Is it common practice in Texas for cops to pull one over for not signaling?
I dont know if it is common practice but I was pulled over for a do not signal when driving home from DFW after a redeye flight. I do suspect that it could be used if they suspect more malicious behavior as I was driving a bit slow since I was so tired, my take is they suspected a DUI.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I didn't say it was. I said he didn't need to request she put the cigarette out, although putting a cigarette out is not a huge deal. If she was trying to be combative it worked out well for her. Both are at fault.
You're right. My bad.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:05 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Remember the good old days when the phrase, "the police say" actually meant something?
Given recent (known) abuses of police power, I'd say those days were only "good" if you had a certain status and/or skin color.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:05 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
She wouldn't step out of her car because she was likely in fear for her life. You can understand why she might have those feelings at that moment correct? We now know she had every reason to be very afraid.
how so?

did the plastic bag attack her?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:13 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
He was wrong. He's one of those "respect my authority" kind of police. She is the type to act like a b**** when she's pulled over. He should not have made such a big issue out of her refusing to put her cigarette out, and she probably shouldn't have repeatedly called him a p*ssy cop and kicked him. The stop just before Bland's had him give a warning ticket to a young woman who was polite and cooperative. Believe me, DPS doesn't usually give warning tickets, so I was a little surprised at how polite he was to that girl. They are very by the book.
he shouldn't have, and she probably shouldn't have?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
he shouldn't have, and she probably shouldn't have?
Yes he shouldn't have because despite the fact he is a LEO his actions are still subject to judicial and civil review.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:37 AM

818 posts, read 1,017,266 times
Anybody who thinks they know the truth about this is ignorant. It says something about the person who makes judgement like they know the facts when they do not; that they have an objective thinking and truth problem. Please don't vote or make important decisions if you are one these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events