Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 07:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by landofthefree25 View Post
screw white american, african american, mexican american etc and all that bs

Why cant we all just be plain old AMERICANS?

We are all of the human race. Thats what needs to matter dammit
Because we live in a society that has constructed the notion of race and now we are trying to move beyond that concept. Any great leap in society has been fraught with issues but that doesn't mean we should just stick our heads in the sand and ignore the reality of the society we live in. No positive change has ever come from ignoring something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:30 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
There are huge cultural and biological differences between the various subspecies within homo sapiens. However, there's so much emotional investment in the notion of universal equality that anyone who tries to point out the differences gets pilloried. For example, the book The Bell Curve which was quite controversial despite its scientific basis.

But let's be real. In the United States, the important racial issues are the African-Americans versus the Caucasians and Asians. The cultural-economic situation of the Blacks is dire, whereas other ethnicities such as the Chinese are doing fine. Actually, the Chinese and other east Asian groups are "too successful" and now face reverse discrimination when trying to get into top schools for example.

I'm a generally progressive (albeit fiscally conservative) white male who wants to see racial equality and justice across our society. But if I take a walk through a lower income black neighborhood in virtually any American city -- Chicago, Baltimore, Boston, St. Louis, LA, Oakland, New York City -- I take the risk of robbery, gratuitous violence, even murder. I've been cursed at, spat at, shoved, mugged, glared at, etc., by blacks in these sorts of places, and even in relatively affluent black suburbs.

So if you want to say, oh why can't we all just be one "race" and all get along, well, you're preaching to the choir here on a mostly affluent, literate, mostly white/Asian chatboard community that can afford to sit around jawboning about these issues. Go into the black neighborhoods and you will experience a very different attitude and they will not swallow the universal love koolaid. They are angry, they hate you, they blame you for all their problems, and they want payback for past injustices both real and perceived.

We have a President who glided into office on that black anger and white guilt. He has played on those emotions all through his term, firing people up, always siding with the black victims even before the justice system could play its part in determining guilt. Today we have more racial animosity than at any time in recent history, not since the mid-60s into the early 70s when there were civil rights riots and anti-busing riots.

I say, the way past this animosity and racial divide is to accept our differences, accept our diversity, never allow discrimination, but also practice blind justice and blind merit-based promotion in all walks of life. Private scholarships for needy black students? Fine, and I'll gladly donate.

But no quotas, no expectation of special treatment. Fair and equal treatment for all. That's the ticket to a future society where we are all treated equal, we all expect equal treatment, and resentment of past injustices fades into history.
I really doubt that you were "mugged" "glared at" etc. by blacks in affluent suburbs. I call BS. I've seen and known affluent black people, who have a LOT. Why the heck would they care about the pennies that you have in your pockets when they already have? Are you saying that the Black attorney who lives in Teaneck is going to rob you? And complain about reparations? Really? Maybe some of them shoot the breeze about reparations, but for the most part they don't talk about it because they're clearly living the American Dream. Go into inner cities, sticking out like ALF, what would you expect, a what's up homie? There are many Blacks who would feel uneasy walking down the street in a ghetto if they're from the suburbs. They aren't from the ghetto and would clearly show signals that they aren't.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:32 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,888,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
First, I don't see much of a "cultural difference" between, what Marx aptly described as the lumpenproletariat, regardless of race or ethnicity.

As for hijacking, it seems to me that their has been far more appropriation than hijacking and it was the "black underclass" who committed this crime, this time.
I do interact with incarcerated males and there are distinct cultural differences with the underclasses the boundaries on what is considered acceptable behavior is different comparing Whites/Hispanics/Blacks/Asians particularly when it comes to personal space volume/tone of speech.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
We should all be one. One language, one religion, one garment, one food (engineered for perfect nutrition), one gender expression (asexual).

All differences between humans should be eliminated to create perfect peace and harmony.

Or we can be different but work towards the same goal. I am not a multiculturalist, but this cultural engineering/conformity stuff grates on me. Personally I enjoyed the Italian-American style lasagna I had for dinner while listening to late seventies Soul on the stereo, and I can't wait for Oktoberfest.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:56 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
NOPE, only in Romper-Room world.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:01 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,320,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I do interact with incarcerated males and there are distinct cultural differences with the underclasses the boundaries on what is considered acceptable behavior is different comparing Whites/Hispanics/Blacks/Asians particularly when it comes to personal space volume/tone of speech.
Yeah, except murder, robbery, extortion, and fraud, ain't one of them. So they live by a different code, but same conditions breed them all.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:01 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
We should all be one. One language, one religion, one garment, one food (engineered for perfect nutrition), one gender expression (asexual).

All differences between humans should be eliminated to create perfect peace and harmony.

Or we can be different but work towards the same goal. I am not a multiculturalist, but this cultural engineering/conformity stuff grates on me. Personally I enjoyed the Italian-American style lasagna I had for dinner while listening to late seventies Soul on the stereo, and I can't wait for Oktoberfest.
LoL. Find the perfect specimen and clone that person.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:12 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Quote:

We'd all have to be blind or have an alien invasion for that to happen.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:12 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Yeah, except murder, robbery, extortion, and fraud, ain't one of them. So they live by a different code, but same conditions breed them all.
I agree being a criminal is an acceptable profession for that element regardless of ethnicity, that is the common thread.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:20 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,859,450 times
Quote:

That's the way it should be. The U.S. is more of a melting pot than any other country, and unfortunately race is the first thing we use to self-segregate ourselves. I remember in grade school how all kids are friends with everyone, and slowly as you go from high school to college, you can see how races start to gravitate towards there own. It's sad that it has to be that way. If we all actually got to know each other, we would realize how much we have in common and there'd likely be more respect all around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events