Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:52 AM

2,761 posts, read 3,426,854 times

Advertisements

I would have use a sniper rifle instead of a hand gun

A flying drone that capable taking targets 1 mile away. Perfect assassin's tool !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 08:05 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,777,542 times
If I peacefully fly a gun drone over your neighborhood I am simply exercising my second Amendment rights. It's no different from me sitting on the street in front of your house with a bunch of weapons. I can walk behind you or follow you in a car as long as I am behaving peacefully.

Get over it.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:22 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm not worried about the government as much as I am domestic terrorists. Can you put an automatic weapon on one? Even if inaccurate, with enough people around that wont' matter. Can you attach an explosive to them? A vial of Anthrax powder?
RC cars have been modified into explosive devices. Yes, a drone could be modified thus as well. Easier than it can be made to carry a firearm. Thing is, explosives are tricky. I would assume that modifying a drone or RC car to carry a charge, would use a remote detonator, linked to a radio frequency. Someone word be taking a big risk, with all the electronics floating around out there, that it wouldn't catch a whiff and just go boom.

I wouldnt be so enthusiastic about trying to make a drone or RC car bomb. To many ifs., ands and buts. However, the potential is there to do so. As to building a drone into an effective gun platform, several ideas pop into my head. Given enough money and a bit of time, I think I could do it. I've seen 22LR 22 mag scale models of the M2 machine gun, in semi auto , that might lend themselves quite well to that, but, why I'd actually build such a thing eludes me.

It would be pretty expensive, and not have any practical purpose, beyond strafing milk jugs full of water on the range. It might be mildly entertaining, for a short time, but that's about it. I can see Hollywood running with this. It might make for a cool scene in some action flick. Like the robot Gerard Butler used in Law Abiding Citizen. Beyond that, meh.....

Old 07-21-2015, 09:50 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
If I peacefully fly a gun drone over your neighborhood I am simply exercising my second Amendment rights. It's no different from me sitting on the street in front of your house with a bunch of weapons. I can walk behind you or follow you in a car as long as I am behaving peacefully.
Nope. Many governmental bodies already place restrictions upon private drone usage. In Texas for example, you can't fly your private drone over private property without permission of the owner.
So while it's legal for you to carry your camera around and even to take pictures of private properties from street level, you can't attach it to a drone and fly it over someone's house.

Just to clarify, the Texas law specifically regulates the use of private drones to capture images of private property. "Image" includes sound waves, infrared, uv, electromagnetic, and thermal images.
Of course ALL drones capture images (there's currently no way to remotely operate a drone w/o using them) so that means you can't fly your gun over my property. That includes the streets in my neighborhood because they are privately owned by the HOA.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 07-21-2015 at 10:19 AM..

Old 07-21-2015, 10:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm not worried about the government as much as I am domestic terrorists. Can you put an automatic weapon on one? Even if inaccurate, with enough people around that wont' matter. Can you attach an explosive to them? A vial of Anthrax powder?
Yes actually, you can. It was done a couple of years ago on the show "Sons of Guns" so I'm a bit confused at all the shock now...

Bing Images

Old 07-21-2015, 10:26 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Nope. Many governmental bodies already place restrictions upon private drone usage. In Texas for example, you can't fly your private drone over private property without permission of the owner.
So while it's legal for you to carry your camera around and even to take pictures of private properties from street level, you can't attach it to a drone and fly it over someone's house.

Just to clarify, the Texas law specifically regulates the use of private drones to capture images of private property. "Image" includes sound waves, infrared, uv, electromagnetic, and thermal images.
Of course ALL drones capture images (there's currently no way to remotely operate a drone w/o using them) so that means you can't fly your gun over my property. That includes the streets in my neighborhood because they are privately owned by the HOA.
Remember, you'd have to find the drone owner first in order to prosecute. As most drones can be flown via FPV over a mile away from their owner I'd say "good luck with that".

Old 07-21-2015, 10:48 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Not sure if you're being sarcastic but where's the line? Should the public have missiles? Nuclear weapons in their garage?

Why not? At least it would show how ridiculous the 2nd Amendment is, and that it needs... amending. It refers to arms, not firearms. Arms includes grenades, hand held rocket launchers and the like. That's why the 2nd Amendment is preposterous for a civilized society.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Remember, you'd have to find the drone owner first in order to prosecute. As most drones can be flown via FPV over a mile away from their owner I'd say "good luck with that".
That's not the issue. I was responding to the poster who stated it is legal to fly drones over private property. It may be where s/he lives but not in Texas.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:46 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
It is illegal, thats why it's shot out in the middle of the woods.

Any thing created, weapon or not, can be misused.

My point is this technology has existed for a very long time. Not one single incident has come from it.

It's nothing new.
Why do you think it is illegal?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:00 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Got any references that say it's inaccurate? Looks to me that it's staying right on target even with the recoil.
It may look accurate, but a handgun is accurate when you have the front sight on the target. There's no way to ensure the front sight is on target, so while it may look on target, I bet the actual hit location varies quite a bit once you shoot at something more than 5-10 yards away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I bet it's easier than you think to locate a drone owner when you consider fingerprints and serial numbers. A manufacturer can tell you where a certain batch of product was shipped to. Go to that store, and ask to see receipts (Did you use your credit card or a check?) and CCTV (What do you look like? Does the public know you through a released photo?). I'm sure there aren't a huge number of drones sold, so someone is going to know who's flying drones in a certain area.
You'd be surprised how many people unintentionally leave a clue that easily traces things back to them. I once solved a multi-state credit card fraud ring because the person using fraudulent credit cards let her sister go shopping with her once, and the sister used her real credit card for her purchase at the store next door to where the crime occurred. We saw them get in the car together to leave. A quick talk to the sister about her shopping trip revealed her sister was with her, and we had an ID on our suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events