Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 10:22 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes, how do some of you people suggest the police restrain strong, combatant suspects who are on drugs that can make you, again, do and see crazy things, while in a public place with crowds of other people around? People you could not reason with no matter how hard you tried because the drug is clouding their mind? Some drugs give you ridiculous strength and make you an immediate danger to anyone around you. So what suggestions do you ever so wise ones have instead?
JerseyGirl, do you honestly think that all police officers resort quickly to mace and tasers or hogtying or _____?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 10:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
JerseyGirl, do you honestly think that all police officers resort quickly to mace and tasers or hogtying or _____?
Did I insinuate that at all?

I can't tell if YOU think they do or don't...

Old 07-24-2015, 11:56 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,575,030 times
Quote:
Yes, how do some of you people suggest the police restrain strong, combatant suspects who are on drugs that can make you, again, do and see crazy things, while in a public place with crowds of other people around? People you could not reason with no matter how hard you tried because the drug is clouding their mind? Some drugs give you ridiculous strength and make you an immediate danger to anyone around you. So what suggestions do you ever so wise ones have instead?

The perp was 130 pounds soaking wet not my vision of a dangerous strong man who's a danger to the public...............in general....

Old 07-25-2015, 03:55 AM

23,477 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Preliminary autopsy results leads to the probably cause of death as heart related. The tox screen will take a long time to process, but reportedly (probably by his wife who he was with during that time) he'd taken 4 to 5 hits of LSD .. yikes.

Apparently once he was in the ambulance the EMT's rolled him to his side (so they could work on him). So he wasn't face down during the ride to the hospital.
Quick Clip: Grayson's inside perspective on "hogtied" patient who died

From a link within that previous link ..
Quote:
Champion also said that, when officers attempted to subdue Goode, he tried to run onto Goodman Road. Goode also opened the door to the canine unit, and a dog bit him. Preliminary information said Goode had no internal injuries, just the dog bite as well as bruises and scrapes, Champion added.

“He was still fighting and kicking the law-enforcement officers and emergency personnel. They put leg irons on him and he was transported to the hospital,†Champion said. “He was fighting the hospital personnel so they moved him to the back of the hospital where he wouldn’t interfere with other patients.â€
Cardiac problem cause of death, not hogtie restraint says DA

I don't see that the cops had much choice in their actions.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:57 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
The perp was 130 pounds soaking wet not my vision of a dangerous strong man who's a danger to the public...............in general....
Obviously you've never been in a physical confrontation with someone under the influence. It's a whole different ballgame. I once responded to back-up another unit on a drug overdose call. A young woman on psychotropic medication, who barely stood five feet high and weighed approximately 100 pounds, was inflicting a serious a$$ kicking on two young officers, both over six feet tall and twice her weight. I had to request another unit to help finally subdue the young woman. We eventually had to use a hogtie after she kicked out two side windows and the rear window of a police cruiser.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:23 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,856,260 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter what the police do, the cop haters here are going blame them for this fools death. Just imagine if the cops had stood back and allowed him to thrash around on the ground until he died, same for the EMTs they are not going to treat someone thrashing around with no restraints. The cop haters would be howling about police apathy.
Of course the arm chair general cop haters will claim they should have done this or done that, (safely hidden behind there computer screen) but you'll never see them step up and join the force themselves.
So next time some low info democrat voter is kicking in your back door at 2am you should call the meth head that lives down the street, I'm sure he will come right over and save you

Bill

Old 07-25-2015, 09:16 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Im sure you're wrong

And the numbers you cite are not increasing... continue to be fraction of less than one percent of all police encounters
LEO and drugs... we get drug tested regularly.. one cannot be on psychotropic medication prescribed or not and be in the field

Your "righteous indignation" accomplishes one thing... where police felt they could use discretion there is none.. so more people go to jail and get police reports written about them
Yep, so true! I was married to a cop and he regularly had to be tested, even when he became a detective. Unlike in other lines of work, if you are diagnosed with bipolar or certain other conditions, you can no longer be a LEO. Someone my ex was in the academy with had this happen to him.

It saddens me that cops are so misunderstood in this country. Yes, like any industry, there are some that don't follow SOP 100%, per what we've seen in the media lately. And if they cause harm or loss of life, they should be accountable. However, they are the minority. Think of all the encounters they have each day and consider the number of cases we've heard about lately. As notmeofficer said, this represents a fraction of all encounters.

I've often thought that if the rest of us were held to the same standards in our line of work, could we handle it - I don't think so! Could we perform with 100% accuracy and follow all our guidelines, be open to constant scrutiny every minute of our working day - even if you are having an off day. Being human, we all make mistakes. In many occupations it is either never seen or is forgiven, at worst, you might lose your job. If you are cop and do the same, the risks are you lose your job, get sued, do jail time, or get killed!

Honestly, America treats their cops like dirt. And each successive generation is less kind or respectful to them. And folks wonder why they have each other's back?

What I'll never understand is when someone is pulled over and ask to either get out of or stay in their car by the LEO, they don't do as told or requested? Or, when they are given a ticket they freak out and escalate the situation. People need to understand that the court is where they get to have their say, or get the charges dismissed, not on the roadside. This is our system, like it or not. To act like a crazy person and be belligerent goes nowhere, yet people keep doing this.

To be honest, when they start off in Law Enforcement, their pay isn't that great, even with a 4 yr. degree. With all that's been going on lately, I wouldn't be surprised if it's harder to recruit now.

As for the drug situation, many people just don't realize how bad it is. I have friends who are cops, nurses, docs, mental health professionals - they all say this is the number 1 problem they encounter. It's behind a lot of the crime we see, many of the mental health issues professionals treat, etc..

I remember the 60's and 70's when drugs were big, but nowhere as rampant as they are now. It was mostly pot and some cocaine and other stuff. And many users were like happy drunks, no big deal. Now, it's vile. It's ruining lives, killing our youth, breaking up families, filling our jails, tearing our society apart. Imagine how it would be without cops....I cannot!

Old 07-25-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post

It saddens me that cops are so misunderstood in this country. ...
There is only one group of people who can change that. The cops themselves. But when all they do in those types of situations is hunker down, no, they won't begin to change public perceptions.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:45 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There is only one group of people who can change that. The cops themselves. But when all they do in those types of situations is hunker down, no, they won't begin to change public perceptions.
Not really. The problem is that bad stories frequently make the news more often than good stories. Police officers do kind, heroic, wonderful things every day, multiple times a day. Sometimes, stuff goes wrong - and it usually is not all their fault when it does. The media chooses which stories to report on, so people get a narrow view of what police officers do.

I know a cop who has talked about a dozen people off a bridge in his career. I know of one who jumped off a NYC bridge, attached with a cord of course, to catch a suicidal guy who just jumped off. And he did catch him, mid-air. He saved his life. That story made the news because it was so amazing, but my friend who saved 12 people has never once made the news. But if he shot a suspect in the rough neighborhood/area he patrols, it would have made local news and possibly even national. The guy probably would have deserved being shot, but it still would be made into a big deal because that's what the media does nowadays. The MEDIA is responsible for portraying images to the public. They are in control. A cop can do 1000 good things and one "bad" one and which do you think will make the news? Which will the media dwell on?

Old 07-25-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Not really. The problem is that bad stories frequently make the news more often than good stories. Police officers do kind, heroic, wonderful things every day, multiple times a day. Sometimes, stuff goes wrong - and it usually is not all their fault when it does. The media chooses which stories to report on, so people get a narrow view of what police officers do.

I know a cop who has talked about a dozen people off a bridge in his career. I know of one who jumped off a NYC bridge, attached with a cord of course, to catch a suicidal guy who just jumped off. And he did catch him, mid-air. He saved his life. That story made the news because it was so amazing, but my friend who saved 12 people has never once made the news. But if he shot a suspect in the rough neighborhood/area he patrols, it would have made local news and possibly even national. The guy probably would have deserved being shot, but it still would be made into a big deal because that's what the media does nowadays. The MEDIA is responsible for portraying images to the public. They are in control. A cop can do 1000 good things and one "bad" one and which do you think will make the news? Which will the media dwell on?
1. A person doing their job is usually not news.
2. I see stories about police officers doing heroic things.
3. Americans need to stop blaming the media for reporting things that actually do happen.
4. Perhaps the police need to smarten up about public relations. As a school principal, I used public relations. Which will improve the impression people have of police? -- Better public relations or hunkering down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events