Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you back her ?
Yes 210 80.46%
No 51 19.54%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 04:51 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
wonderwall Some of you on this thread seem to lump this mother with all the other parents you've come across who don't discipline their kids. Yes, I have seen some parents who let their kids run amok, but they are few and far between. And I go out to eat a lot more than the average person. People need to stop projecting all their experiences onto others. You don't know what the mother did or did not do, but you do know the business owner screamed at a screaming 2-year old. You tell me who's the undisciplined one.
I eat out now, maybe 4 times a week....and yes, I don't argue, you don't run into it much, but I believe most of us, are recalling issues of bad kids, over our lives....I am anyway....and I won't stop projecting my experiences, because it is really rude, unthinking, uncaring and pathetic, when a parent does this, and it's time people start speaking up regardless of what you think. For years, people have been serpressing their feelings on bad behavior and it is wrong to do so. Then your rewarding bad behavior...so, once again, the restaurant owner was correct, and I intend to say something the next time it happens to me, especially if I'm in a movie or eating out. I pay good money to get lost from my everyday hum drum life, and I don't need to be upset by someone else's bad kid.

Quote:
If the mother's version of the story is correct, and the 2-year old cried for 4 minutes, and some of you can't handle a child's crying for 4 minutes, perhaps you shouldn't be around children. She's 2 for heaven's sake. The OP mentioned she can't be around loud noises. She needs to stay away from family restaurants then. Between the kitchen, the music, the families talking, the eating, whatever, things are going to get loud.
I'm sorry, but I don't believe the mother's version. She is looking for excuses now....and yes, the kid is 2, old enough to start with discipline, you should start letting them know when their behavior is unacceptable...and no, I don't and won't stay away from restaurants....I've been eating out, most of my life, and to encounter a child like this is much more then annoying...it is intolerable, and when you encounter it, you don't forget it.

Quote:
The business owner's complaint didn't even focus on the child crying as it did about some other nonsense that I can't even make sense of. The business owner used profanity throughout her post, which was much more volatile than the mother's. The business owner has a public image to maintain, and if her judgment is so poor that her response is this vitriolic, she has no business being around children or even working with the public. I am not joking when I say I wouldn't want her around my cat or plant.
Your grasping for straws, to defend the child, which tells, me your ok with your child doing this, and it's not ok...this isn't the norm....people here are not complaining about the normal kid, this is above and beyond...no one is saying kids have to be perfect, they are not...but your trying to take a crazy situation and make it sound like it's ok....

Quote:
No one on this thread has condoned undisciplined children. So please let's not twist any of this into "you'd let your kid go crazy in a restaurant".
sorry, but what else is anyone to think? Your the one who is taking an extremely undisciplined child and trying to make it look like it was a normal situation.

Yanno, when your out in public, anyone who is a good parent, can spot a spoiled child instantly...I've been in grocery stores....doctors offices, department stores and restaurants, even pools, and movies where kids have been extremely bad...yelling, kicking, screaming...just the other week I was in a department store where the kid was doing this...and I never saw the kid, just heard it screaming bloody murder for the entire time I was in there...and people walking down the isle's just shook their heads, one woman looked at me and said, "by God, if my kids had ever done that, they'd be dealt with right then and there!" She was furious. This behavior is not normal....and screams, bad parenting.

Quote:
I hate to say it, but it boils down to selfishness. Some of you don't care if a manager screams in someone's face if it means you enjoy a quite meal. I would like to see how some of you would take being screamed at the next time a stranger thinks you're mishandling something.
When I was a kid, I was screamed at, we were very seldom spanked....all my dad had to do, was speak up with a very loud voice, and the entire room grew quiet. It took alot for him to do so, but lady, let me tell you, if we had ever acted out in public, we'd have been punished, and we knew it, and we knew there was a consequence for our bad behavior....and when seeing kids act like this, makes me honor and love my parents even more...

as far as being selfish...for the most part, my friends and I have been going out to eat for the past 6 years...and this was the first time for all of us to witness something like this together, although we each had stories to share....however, once again, if we're paying for a meal to go out, wind down, have a nice time together, we don't expect to hear a screaming kid for the entire time we're there....everyone in the restaurant was annoyed and shaking their heads...so it isn't just us, and not all of us are selfish...you are grasping at straws and defending bad behavior which is unacceptable. And this isn't at all selfish, this is our right! I don't need to listen to someone's whinny screaming brat, out in public that they themselves created.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-22-2015 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 06:19 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Honestly, I believe the ones who are offended by this, are the same one who may allow their kids to run all over the place and yell, scream and cause disturbances...?
They're also the ones walking around in stores talking LOUDLY on their cell phones.

"BABY DO YOU WANT THE MILK WITH THE RED CAP? NOOO, GET THE ONE WITH THE BLUE CAP!" , and then on to the bread isle where it starts again.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:24 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,723,394 times
Totally would have yelled at stupid kid.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:34 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Totally would have yelled at stupid kid.
As opposed to just partially yelling at the kid?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderwall View Post
Some of you on this thread seem to lump this mother with all the other parents you've come across who don't discipline their kids. Yes, I have seen some parents who let their kids run amok, but they are few and far between. And I go out to eat a lot more than the average person. People need to stop projecting all their experiences onto others. You don't know what the mother did or did not do, but you do know the business owner screamed at a screaming 2-year old. You tell me who's the undisciplined one.

If the mother's version of the story is correct, and the 2-year old cried for 4 minutes, and some of you can't handle a child's crying for 4 minutes, perhaps you shouldn't be around children. She's 2 for heaven's sake. The OP mentioned she can't be around loud noises. She needs to stay away from family restaurants then. Between the kitchen, the music, the families talking, the eating, whatever, things are going to get loud.

The business owner's complaint didn't even focus on the child crying as it did about some other nonsense that I can't even make sense of. The business owner used profanity throughout her post, which was much more volatile than the mother's. The business owner has a public image to maintain, and if her judgment is so poor that her response is this vitriolic, she has no business being around children or even working with the public. I am not joking when I say I wouldn't want her around my cat or plant.

No one on this thread has condoned undisciplined children. So please let's not twist any of this into "you'd let your kid go crazy in a restaurant".

I hate to say it, but it boils down to selfishness. Some of you don't care if a manager screams in someone's face if it means you enjoy a quite meal. I would like to see how some of you would take being screamed at the next time a stranger thinks you're mishandling something.
I'm with you.
The owner's profanity-laden post on FB told me all I needed to know about this person. It is pretty obvious that she should not be in a customer-facing business.

And yes, it is extremely ironic that so many will condemn the child's behavior while embracing and encouraging the most boorish and abusive behavior from adults.

Quite the double-standard.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:08 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I think the restaurant owner was unprofessional and over the top.

I think the parents were selfish and inconsiderate to other patrons.

I think the child probably needed a nap. That being said, I doubt that the child was emotionally scarred from the situation. The parents were wrong for putting the child in a situation that resulted in a public meltdown.

The only people I feel sorry for in this story are the other patrons of the restaurant.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:10 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I'm with you.
The owner's profanity-laden post on FB told me all I needed to know about this person. It is pretty obvious that she should not be in a customer-facing business.

And yes, it is extremely ironic that so many will condemn the child's behavior while embracing and encouraging the most boorish and abusive behavior from adults.

Quite the double-standard.
Indeed.

Crying is how children communicate. That's why babies cry. It's their natural, instinctive way of communicating their needs. And it takes several years of emotional development - well beyond this child's two years - to eliminate this tendency.

Any adult who would yell at the child in this case, instead of dealing with the parents as would any normal adult, is a sad excuse of a person.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:16 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think the restaurant owner was unprofessional and over the top.

I think the parents were selfish and inconsiderate to other patrons.

I think the child probably needed a nap. And certainly needs discipline.

The only people I feel sorry for in this story are the other patrons of the restaurant.
Honestly, I feel sorry for the baby, too. When your needs are not being met, and the people who are supposed to be caring for you are not, what's your recourse? At that age, most children do not have the capacity to express themselves in words, so crying (which frequently escalates to screaming) is it.

I certainly don't agree with those who are defending the 50 year old's tantrum. She's had enough time and experience to learn to control herself. There are better ways to deal with the situation than screaming at a child.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:18 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
If you cannot stand the heat then get out of the kitchen. Owning a restaurant is not easy work and the owner needs to realize she is always the brand ambassador for her business every day she is there or among folks who know she has a business. Only in our in-your-face as a normal condtion Society is her 50year of experience behavior ok vis-a-vis a 3 year old.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:23 AM

1,069 posts, read 711,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Indeed.

Crying is how children communicate. That's why babies cry. It's their natural, instinctive way of communicating their needs. And it takes several years of emotional development - well beyond this child's two years - to eliminate this tendency.

Any adult who would yell at the child in this case, instead of dealing with the parents as would any normal adult, is a sad excuse of a person.
so can i ask....what would possess the parent, once their child started to "communicate for an excessive period of time" (crying), to not remove the child immediately from that setting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events