Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:57 PM

488 posts, read 817,140 times

Advertisements

It's all part of the master plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 06:02 PM

50,398 posts, read 23,978,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I find it odd that cereal companies and the makers of pain relief medicine feel it is their place or their duty to promote a social engineering agenda. At what level of these organizations are these efforts being directed from? Is there some sort of a connection between these companies at that level?
It isn't that they are social engineering. They are trying to exploit niche audiences.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Males have more head ache's than females? I thought women were more likely to say, "...not tonight dear, I have a head ache...".
It's even better when someone says, "Not in this lifetime. I have a headache."

Old 07-21-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
I want headache relief from Tylenol, not political statements. Some companies would probably be better off staying out of political hot-button issues. Personally, I'd prefer all companies just try to sell me on the merits of their product and not their stance on social issues.
Some companies should stay out of politics, but others shouldn't.

Translation: Companies that push ideas I like should involve themselves in politics. Companies the push ideas I don't like should stay out of politics.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:08 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,044,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's even better when someone says, "Not in this lifetime. I have a headache."
Ouch that is a resounding "No!"

Old 07-21-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I think tylenol is jumping on the bandwagon. Nothing new. Soon commercials like these will be ubiquitous.

What I don't get is their need to make this commercial. Acetaminophen has existed since the dawn of time, and people have always used it. Having a commercial demonstrating non-nuclear families won't increase it's usership just b/c the brand Tylenol decided to put it in a 25 second ad (or whatever number of seconds exists)..

Nothing special...

NEXT!
1887 is not "before the dawn of time".

Old 07-21-2015, 06:15 PM

16,364 posts, read 8,451,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Did it ever occur to you that it is a smart marketing ploy to gain business from those groups being featured? It works when "traditional white" families are in the spotlight so why not spread it around a little?

TV commercials are EXPENSIVE - don't think Tylenol is throwing their money away without doing some research on public reaction.

As if somehow homosexuals and interracial couples would not have bought Tylenol prior to being featured in an ad.

Again, why pick two tiny segments of the population which are controversial to try and as you think, potentially tap into new markets. This while potentially alienating a much larger audience. It makes no sense, and rest assured there will be people who will intentionally not buy Tylenol now because of it.

`

Old 07-21-2015, 06:19 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,255,086 times
Get used to change, please.

9 Different Visions Of What Families Will Look Like 50 Years From Now

1) Multiple Family Households
2) Extreme Multi-generational Families
3) Gender Fluidity in the Family
4) Clone Families
5) Robotic and Artificially Intelligent Caregivers
6) Space Colonist Families
7) Post-Cryonic Families
8) Mind-linked Families
9) Virtual Families

Old 07-21-2015, 06:23 PM

16,364 posts, read 8,451,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Some companies should stay out of politics, but others shouldn't.

Translation: Companies that push ideas I like should involve themselves in politics. Companies the push ideas I don't like should stay out of politics.
It is stupid to pick sides whether it bee conservative or otherwise. It is like some of these R&R music groups, or even country groups. They have a broad spectrum of support, so why get involved in politics and potentially alienate half of your audience.
The same is true of faceless companies which sell a widget. Unlike celebrities or sports stars, people are not personally invested.
They will dump a product if they feel social engineering is being push on them by a product they are paying their hard earned money for.

For some of us, even a favorite team can go too far. When the Miami Heat did their hoodie picture (Martin vs. Zimmerman) and later hands up don't shoot(false Brown narrative), it was the last time some people will go and pay money to see them live.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:27 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,897,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Tylenol Further Explores the Changing Face of the American Family in New Ad | Adweek

Tylenol is continuing its celebration of diverse families with a new commercial from J. Walter Thompson in New York featuring same-sex and interracial couples.
Titled "How We Family," the ad is part of a broader effort to to challenge conventional—that is to say, conservative—definitions of family. Tylenol launched the campaign last fall by repurposing the classic holiday dinner scene in Norman Rockwell's painting "Freedom From Want," to profile contemporary families, including a lesbian couple who work closely with one woman's ex-husband to raise the children from both relationships.

*Is this a sign a non-nuclear family is becoming the "norm". What do you think? Is the Tylenol commercial pioneering???
The non-nuclear family has been the norm for a long time. We have a 50% divorce rate, so many kids are raised by single parents. Plus a lot of kids are raised by couples who never got married. And there's the couples who don't have kids, single people, etc. . . And I don't think the Tylenol commercial is a pioneering one either. The JC Penney couple featuring a lesbian couple came out years ago. And there's the Cheerios commercial, and I'm sure there are others. It's still a sweet commercial, and even if it is attempting to cozy up to LGBT and multiracial people at a convenient time, so what? It's an ad after all, whose sole purpose is to get people to buy the product. The company will do what it takes to get people to buy, just like any other company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events