Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 06:55 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

These women are adults. Why do people expect their daddy to provide them with birth control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:02 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
1. The father isn't responsible for his adult childrens' birth control - or medical costs in general (unless they are incapacitated adults, which apparently isn't the case here).
The problem in Missouri is that the insurance plans here will not cover complications from prescription medications not purchased on the plan; and even have the option to cancel your coverage if you are taking a prescription drug not on your plan.
So, if the adult daughters do get birth control pills elsewhere, then their coverage can be cancelled. (And you can bet that if either one develops breast cancer after using off-plan birth control, the insurance company will refuse to cover it on the grounds that the breast cancer was a complication of the birth control.)

Old 07-22-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The problem in Missouri is that the insurance plans here will not cover complications from prescription medications not purchased on the plan; and even have the option to cancel your coverage if you are taking a prescription drug not on your plan.
So, if the adult daughters do get birth control pills elsewhere, then their coverage can be cancelled. (And you can bet that if either one develops breast cancer after using off-plan birth control, the insurance company will refuse to cover it on the grounds that the breast cancer was a complication of the birth control.)
Then I guess these adult women need to find and purchase a health insurance plan that covers birth control. Shouldn't be hard - most plans DO cover birth control.

Oh wait...that means they'd have to pay for it themselves. Like most adults do.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Then I guess these adult women need to find and purchase a health insurance plan that covers birth control. Shouldn't be hard - most plans DO cover birth control.

Oh wait...that means they'd have to pay for it themselves. Like most adults do.
Presumably they are under 26?

Old 07-22-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Presumably they are under 26?
I guess so but so what? They're adults. If they don't like daddy's insurance plan, they can get their own. There's no law that says people under age 26 HAVE to be on their parents' insurance plan. And there's no law saying parents HAVE TO provide insurance to their adult kids. They've got options.

When I was 26 I'd been paying my own bills for seven years.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
I guess so but so what? They're adults. If they don't like daddy's insurance plan, they can get their own. There's no law that says people under age 26 HAVE to be on their parents' insurance plan. And there's no law saying parents HAVE TO provide insurance to their adult kids. They've got options.

When I was 26 I'd been paying my own bills for seven years.
There is also no law saying that the daughters can refuse primary coverage on their parents plan.... If the parents want to cover them, and they are under 26, then the parents can cover them.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
There is also no law saying that the daughters can refuse primary coverage on their parents plan.... If the parents want to cover them, and they are under 26, then the parents can cover them.
What's this got to do with what I said?

The women in question are adults. There are plenty of insurance plans out there that cover birth control. If these two adults don't like their current plan's coverage, they should go get a plan with the coverage they want. These plans are readily available.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:24 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Freedom of religion means you get to practice your religion without any interference from the government.

It does not mean you get to use the government to shove your religion down everyone's throat.
Bingo

Old 07-22-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
What's this got to do with what I said?

The women in question are adults. There are plenty of insurance plans out there that cover birth control. If these two adults don't like their current plan's coverage, they should go get a plan with the coverage they want. These plans are readily available.
I don't think you understand. If they are under 26, then their parents can choose to cover them and they cannot get another primary plan. 99% of the time, this is not an issue; parents can't wait to stop paying for their child's insurance. But then you get that one narcissist (and there is probably a good chance that Wieland is a major narcissist) who wants to control the life of their children. These are the same people who refuse to file fafsas and claim their children as dependents until they are 24 and dare them to report them to the IRS. For parents like that, holding the reins on health insurance and other coverage is control, and they don't have to relinquish that control until their children are 26.
(Can you tell I've been through this?)

Old 07-22-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
I don't think you understand. If they are under 26, then their parents can choose to cover them and they cannot get another primary plan. 99% of the time, this is not an issue; parents can't wait to stop paying for their child's insurance. But then you get that one narcissist (and there is probably a good chance that Wieland is a major narcissist) who wants to control the life of their children. These are the same people who refuse to file fafsas and claim their children as dependents until they are 24 and dare them to report them to the IRS. For parents like that, holding the reins on health insurance and other coverage is control, and they don't have to relinquish that control until their children are 26.
(Can you tell I've been through this?)
I do understand how insurance coverage works. I don't think it's a lack of understanding on my part.

If this family is indeed as dysfunctional as you describe above (and that's a leap to make but for the sake of argument, let's go with it), then the adult daughters need to just go ahead and sever the tie and pay for their own healthcare coverage. They are ADULTS for pete's sake, not children.

It's not like they CAN'T refuse this limited coverage and go get their own more comprehensive coverage. Apparently for whatever reason, they are choosing not to do so, but no law on this earth prohibits them from doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events