U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 09:40 AM

14,781 posts, read 36,084,387 times

Advertisements

I am still solidly pro-choice. The edited video meant to spin the conversation into something sinister did not sway me at all. They were discussing the handling of tissue that the patient themselves chose to donate and the proper compensation of the costs associated with doing so.

Anyone who finds it shocking that they could discuss such things over lunch has obviously never spent much time with anyone in the medical community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 09:55 AM

2,337 posts, read 1,355,631 times
I am a conservative who has always been pro choice
thanks to this planned parenthood, and the way libs have supported them and put spins on this story, I am pro life...will probably never side with pro choicers again

Old 07-23-2015, 10:07 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,271,864 times
I am pro choice.
That story is very misleading.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
I am a conservative who has always been pro choice
thanks to this planned parenthood, and the way libs have supported them and put spins on this story, I am pro life...will probably never side with pro choicers again
You don't like Planned Parenthood the organization and the fact that "libs" are defending them against a story that was SPIN TO BEGIN WITH...so you are changing your stance on the macro issue of abortion rights?

Old 07-23-2015, 10:24 AM

6,666 posts, read 6,849,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I am still solidly pro-choice. The edited video meant to spin the conversation into something sinister did not sway me at all. They were discussing the handling of tissue that the patient themselves chose to donate and the proper compensation of the costs associated with doing so.

Anyone who finds it shocking that they could discuss such things over lunch has obviously never spent much time with anyone in the medical community.
Ain't that the truth! My sister, a nurse, used to tell the most disgusting stories over dinner. Things like ladling pus out of abdominal abscesses, yuck.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You don't like Planned Parenthood the organization and the fact that "libs" are defending them against a story that was SPIN TO BEGIN WITH...so you are changing your stance on the macro issue of abortion rights?
Ive always been borderline
its murder but I don't think back alley illegal abortions is the answer so despite my personal beliefs, politically Ive leaned pro choice

this planned parenthood debacle is NOT some spun story...have you watched these videos??
its disgusting how callous these people are

I simply think the pro choicers have gone too far to the extreme, planned parenthood is just ONE example...there should be outrage

something Obama said when he ran against McCain, and I am NO Obama fan...he said "NO ONE is pro-abortion"...and I thought that was an excellent point...its a crappy solution to an even crappier problem, and currently its probably the best we can do until lots of other things change...however over the past few years I have listened to lefty looseys who actually make me think they are PRO ABORTION

is it hard to believe that peoples political beliefs are NOT stagnant...that they fluxuate?
Hell I lean to the left more when we have a repub in office, and vice versa
I think there are times when our government needs to tighten its belts and be more conservative, and there are OTHER times when they need to loosed the purse strings and be more progressive

as a conservative I think Bill Clinton did an awesome job of tightening and loosening the purse strings...wont mention the other things slick willy loosened LOL

Old 07-23-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
Ive always been borderline
its murder but I don't think back alley illegal abortions is the answer so despite my personal beliefs, politically Ive leaned pro choice

this planned parenthood debacle is NOT some spun story...have you watched these videos??
its disgusting how callous these people are

I simply think the pro choicers have gone too far to the extreme, planned parenthood is just ONE example...there should be outrage
I have watched the videos. They were certainly edited to attempt to create an illusion. I agree that the conversation was callous, but I do not believe it was sinister nor were there ill intents. People who have abortions sometimes elect to donate the tissue to research as is their right. Such donations need to be managed and it is up to the institute receiving the tissue to compensate for the costs involved. The shock value is that people would discuss such a thing over lunch, but like I said, listen to anyone in the medical community and you will hear some pretty gruesome and callous discussions over lunch. They were ultimately conducting business.

Quote:
something Obama said when he ran against McCain, and I am NO Obama fan...he said "NO ONE is pro-abortion"...and I thought that was an excellent point...its a crappy solution to an even crappier problem, and currently its probably the best we can do until lots of other things change...however over the past few years I have listened to lefty looseys who actually make me think they are PRO ABORTION
I agree that no one is really pro-abortion (though I have also seen some who certainly leave me with the impression that they might be; these are generally the super-granola humans are killing the planet types). I do not know if I would personally choose an abortion if in a situation where that was an option. Ultimately it is the ability to choose that I support.

Quote:
is it hard to believe that peoples political beliefs are NOT stagnant...that they fluxuate?
Hell I lean to the left more when we have a repub in office, and vice versa
I think there are times when our government needs to tighten its belts and be more conservative, and there are OTHER times when they need to loosed the purse strings and be more progressive

as a conservative I think Bill Clinton did an awesome job of tightening and loosening the purse strings...wont mention the other things slick willy loosened LOL
Fair enough, peoples opinions and beliefs are allowed to change. I just find is strange that not liking one organization would influence someones overall beliefs on an issue such as abortion. It was basically "I don't like Planned Parenthood because 'libs' like Planned Parenthood, so I'm changing my entire stance on abortion." It just wasn't logical to me.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:25 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,620,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I will never understand this line of reasoning. If one believes abortion is killing a viable human baby how does the circumstance of how that egg was fertilized make killing it ok. How does sacrificing the life of a baby to save its mother become ok. What if a mother needed a liver transplant, would it be ok to take her child's to save her. I don't understand how the morality of abortion can be conditional. Is it killing a BABY or not?
I don't understand how you don't understand how a woman wouldn't want to have a baby whose conception was a result of rape, or how saving a fetus whose mother will cease to exist if it's not aborted is somehow more important than saving the life of an adult woman who may already be a contributing member to society not to mention someones wife/mother/daughter/sister/aunt/etc. and could potentially conceive another child in the future. If you were a mother of 2 and happily married, would you really sacrifice your life at the expense of the rest of your family losing you? There is no logic behind that.

I mean, those are really, really basic ideas. How you don't understand them is bewildering to say the least

Old 07-23-2015, 11:48 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,971,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I don't understand how you don't understand how a woman wouldn't want to have a baby whose conception was a result of rape, or how saving a fetus whose mother will cease to exist if it's not aborted is somehow more important than saving the life of an adult woman who may already be a contributing member to society not to mention someones wife/mother/daughter/sister/aunt/etc. and could potentially conceive another child in the future. If you were a mother of 2 and happily married, would you really sacrifice your life at the expense of the rest of your family losing you? There is no logic behind that.

I mean, those are really, really basic ideas. How you don't understand them is bewildering to say the least
He or she did not think it through. There are some pregnancies that are not viable and where both the mother and baby will die due to the location of the egg. Regardless, the idea that it is morally wrong to have an abortion when the mother is likely to die is a problem that indicates a flaw in reasoning where the heart becomes too involved and fails to understand the process. We have a culture that glorifies babies and young children as being more important than those that are older.

Old 07-23-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post

Well...bears will eat their young as opposed to starving to death in the winter...natures reasoning of course is the bear lives it can make more cubs...

I agree with rape, incest, where the mothers life is in serious risk...its a tough decision...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events