Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 11:53 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Well said, Above Average Bear.

Presidential candidate Bernie Sanders summed it up well in this Senate speech from 1992:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcm56L3o12c

People still have the vote, and by organizing, there is no end to what can be achieved. The gains in the issues about gay marriage and minimum wage have been achieved by people organizing and standing together.
This is inevitable, my take is that the 0.1% will take and take and take until the masses realize that they have been robbed and grab the torches and the pitchforks.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 07-26-2015 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: Additionally emphasis of post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 11:53 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,242,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Some lawyers earn their living from SSDI cases. If the judge is their friend, which is often the case, it's natural for the judge to help them earn a living.
Don't make stuff up, please, that is absolutely pure conjecture. Do you also claim that judges let criminals go free because the judge is a friend of the defense attorney?
Quote:
that might be part of the reason for the 99% approval rate.
WHAT 99% approval rate? It looks more like 40% of people are ultimately approved for SSDI, not 99%.ultimately approved.
Quote:
90% of disabled people could work full time if they could get jobs.
oops, another little lie A recent study found that among people whose Disability Insurance applications were denied by the Social Security Administration, the vast majority—70 percent to 80 percent—did not go on to work in jobs with annual earnings above the substantial gainful activity level.
Quote:
The problem is that employers don't want to hire them. What should qualify as a disability if 90% could work? Being unable to get a job? Or being unable to theoretically work if they could theoretically get a job in some alternate universe? But if being unable to get a job is the criteria, does it imply those whose disabilities make them obnoxious are the ones who qualify the most?
no use responding to made up crap.
Quote:
What if a person with a disfigured face could load trucks all day with 100 pound boxes and never get tired? Should being unable to get a job, because nobody will hire them, because of their face, qualify them for disability?
It would have been so nice if you had actually taken the time to research this, then you would realize that you are disqualified from SSDI not only if you can't do the job you want, or the one you once had, but you have to be able to do ANY job that is not impossible due to your disability, and ALJ's will frequently deny an application for someone with a back injury by telling them that they could get a job in TJ Maxx folding clothes - and it doesn't matter if such a job even exists.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,761,940 times
We can improve the Social Security System by applying the tax to ALL INCOME FROM ALL SOURCES without any cap. In addition we can limit any benefits to anyone over the 70th percentile. That way some of the income derived from exploiting others will be transferred back to the people that were exploited to create the wealth.

Another possibility is a system that paid people a survival amount not to work so the people that did want to work could find jobs. That way the people that want to sit around an apartment and drink beer all day while watching TV could afford to pay the suppliers of the apartment, beer and cable so they could work and make more money than just sitting around and staying out of the way. This could apply to everyone not just the retired drowning away in the Florida sunshine.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:58 AM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We can improve the social Security system by applying the tax to ALL INCOME FROM ALL SOURCES without any cap. In addition we can limit any benefits to anyone over the 70th percentile. That way some of the income derived from exploiting others will be transferred back to the people that created it.
Yes! That's an excellent solution. However the 0.1% would never allow that to happen. They give us just enough to survive and keep us distracted so the can have their way.

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
There are entire counties with local economies totally dependent on SSDI in Appelachia.
And there's a whole other story of SSI in Title 1 schools among the poor.
Those parents fight tooth and nail to make sure their kids stay classified as "disabled" right through their 18th birthday.

I was kinda shocked to see this as well as the demands these parents put on the school districts.
I wish I could talk about this but I can't. Other teachers know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
One possibility would be to disqualify all mental conditions except those where the person is institutionalized. But what would the implications of that be? Would more people end up institutionalized? Would there be a lot more homeless people with mental illnesses not quite severe enough to get them locked up, but severe enough to make them homeless?
Oh that's a real winner of an idea. So a person with early onset Alzheimer's needs to be committed to a mental hospital if they want to get on SSDI. Or how about a person who is brain injured from an accident, you know like some of those kids who fought for us in Iraq and Afghanistan, institutionalize them too? And what about a 45 year old afflicted with Down's syndrome whose parents receive SS benefits, lock them up too?

I think at this point it would be better if I didn't say what I think about this idea of yours.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:59 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The majority of the 0.1% don't work for income. They don't pay any FICA.

Warren Buffet is a billionaire. His INCOME is $100K a year.
Bill Gates is a billionaire. His INCOME is $0.
Professional wealth management typically includes a secured line of credit at the LIBOR rate. You live off your line while investing/ reinvesting your wealth.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:01 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And there's a whole other story of SSI in Title 1 schools among the poor.
Those parents fight tooth and nail to make sure their kids stay classified as "disabled" right through their 18th birthday.

I was kinda shocked to see this as well as the demands these parents put on the school districts.
I wish I could talk about this but I can't. Other teachers know what I'm talking about.
I have many friends who are teachers in affluent school districts and they do talk about it.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh that's a real winner of an idea. So a person with early onset Alzheimer's needs to be committed to a mental hospital if they want to get on SSDI. Or how about a person who is brain injured from an accident, you know like some of those kids who fought for us in Iraq and Afghanistan, institutionalize them too? And what about a 45 year old afflicted with Down's syndrome whose parents receive SS benefits, lock them up too?

I think at this point it would be better if I didn't say what I think about this idea of yours.
We as a nation then are getting sicker and sicker at a faster pace.

The Urgency of Reforming Entitlement Programs: The Case of Social Security Disability Insurance: Penn Wharton Public Policy Initiative

Old 07-26-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
It's really quite distressing to see how so many of you have been bamboozled by the 0.1%. They stop paying into SS at 118K, move jobs overseas, suppress wages, buy politicians, manipulate banking, and the stock market to their advantage and screw us a hundred ways to Sunday. While you focus on welfare cheats, union members, and people who you probably have a lot more things in common with than them. So, now you can go back to being consumed with the people that you blame for the state of the nation and who's going to win Dancing With the Stars, so the 0.1% can carry on.
Exactly! It kind of reminds me of the dirt poor kids who fought and died for the Confederate army to fight a war for no other reason than to protect the financial interests of oligarch plantation owners who were causing much of the poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events