Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 11:39 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,241 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/23/us...-say.html?_r=0

What do you think? If this happens, I feel bad for those who truly need it to survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 12:25 PM

6,573 posts, read 6,738,168 times
It won't happen.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
It won't happen.
What makes you say that?

Old 07-24-2015, 12:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
It won't happen. They will move money from the SS fund over to the SSDI fund and call it a day.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:42 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
I would really like to see more done with fraudulent claims. I have seen SO many instances of people who work under the table making more money than many other workers. I lived in an interesting area where it seemed to be over-the-line and it doesn't seem that what I saw was unusual: Facilitating Fraud: How SSDI Gives Benefits to the Able Bodied | Cato Institute

Before they borrow from SS, they need to take a good and hard look at other options.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I would really like to see more done with fraudulent claims. I have seen SO many instances of people who work under the table making more money than many other workers. I lived in an interesting area where it seemed to be over-the-line and it doesn't seem that what I saw was unusual: Facilitating Fraud: How SSDI Gives Benefits to the Able Bodied | Cato Institute

Before they borrow from SS, they need to take a good and hard look at other options.
It's not just people it's also judges. Takes 3 denials and then you go in front of a judge.
You have some judges with a 99% approval rate on SSDI petitions.

And historically SSDI spikes during economic downturns with job losses.
And this time is especially bad because they changed the rules for what qualifies which added more subjective disabilities. More than 50% of claims are for mental impairments.

For some it has become long term unemployment until SS kicks in.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Yes, more needs to be done as to what qualifies as a disability to help reduce fraudulent claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's not just people it's also judges. Takes 3 denials and then you go in front of a judge.
You have some judges with a 99% approval rate on SSDI petitions.

And historically SSDI spikes during economic downturns with job losses.
And this time is especially bad because they changed the rules for what qualifies which added more subjective disabilities. More than 50% of claims are for mental impairments.

For some it has become long term unemployment until SS kicks in.
Anything can be considered a disability it seems these days with the right resources.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:36 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
I think more of the elderly than the disabled. My Mom worked her entire adult life and is supposed to live on $1100 and change a month SS + a $400 monthly pension. Jobs for women in the 60's and 70's didn't pay much, so her SS isn't much as it is.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:46 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
With the Republicans on this one. It's time to start addressing entitlement problems rather than just kicking the can down the road by robbing this to pay that, robbing this to boost the economy, and all this garbage. Raise the payroll taxes, cut SSDI, cut SSI (Retirement). Figure it out with some combination of the above. If you can't do that, cut discretionary spending and bailout the SSDI fund that way as a stopgap measure until you can.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:53 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
It won't happen.

Well it had better happen, especially since there's been an ongoing raiding of the SS retirement fund to accommodate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events