Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 10:11 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post

Because we cannot weed out the "bad" anybody definitely, when it comes to dealing with cops, people need to act in as a respectful manner as possible.
That applies to Cops too. And Yes, we could "Weed" the bad ones out better, if not for the fact that cover for each other, or turn a blind eye when a Law is broken, and rights are abused. If they can't police their own, to stay in the boundaries of the Law, chances are they can't Police anyone else either legally.

In my Book, "Respect" is earned, not showered upon anyone that feels superior. You can respect whom you please. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 10:15 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
That applies to Cops too. And Yes, we could "Weed" the bad ones out better, if not for the fact that cover for each other, or turn a blind eye when a Law is broken, and rights are abused. If they can't police their own, to stay in the boundaries of the Law, chances are they can't Police anyone else either legally.

In my Book, "Respect" is earned, not showered upon anyone that feels superior. You can respect whom you please. Sorry.
No, we can't weed out the bad ones, in any profession. Not until they do something bad and out themselves as bad. I meant weed out prior to hiring. Cops go through pretty rigorous training and interview/psych sessions and we still have some bad ones. Doctors go through years of school and residency and we still have ones who are arrested for raping patients or killing patients by doing something stupid and illegal to them.

Respect should be shown to a cop who has pulled you over and is coming to talk to you for the first ever time. You have no reason to not respect him or her - unless of course you're pissed you got caught doing something wrong and are trying to blame the cop, which is entirely possible and all too common and probably the case for many people who wind up in not so good situations with police officers.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:18 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Weird, I do the same thing and I don't have problems with the police, either.

Kinda strange how that works out, eh?

And to top it off, I'm not white!
And there you go folks!

Old 07-24-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post

If law enforcement today were Nazis you would already be in prison right?

Nope. Probably part of the Resistance.

If Law Enforcement today where "Nazis," you probably would not be here at all.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:19 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:

Don't many educators not follow the laws, rules, and guidelines, as well, btw? Just because YOU did doesn't mean others didn't. Teachers are arrested quite frequently for having sex with their 16, 17, or 18 year old students. There are bad people in every single line of work. It is unavoidable.

Quite frequently???

When we had a bad apple, they got fired.

That's the point -- get rid of the bad apples.

Last edited by phetaroi; 07-24-2015 at 10:40 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 10:20 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I don't have problems with the police either but while I drive the speed limit and don't commit crimes, I have to confess I usually don't wear pants. Hmmmm..... Yeah, funny how that works.
Hmmmm...now that must be a sight....

Old 07-24-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Quite frequently???

Yes, and when we had a bad apple, they got fired.

That's the point -- get rid of the bad apples.
I see it on the news a lot from all around the country. Seems like once a week a teacher somewhere has been arrested for having sex with a student.

Yeah, and most of these cops who have been vilified by the media and the public not only were fired or resigned but had to go into hiding because of threats against their lives.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
No, we can't weed out the bad ones, in any profession. Not until they do something bad and out themselves as bad. I meant weed out prior to hiring. Cops go through pretty rigorous training and interview/psych sessions and we still have some bad ones. Doctors go through years of school and residency and we still have ones who are arrested for raping patients or killing patients by doing something stupid and illegal to them.

Respect should be shown to a cop who has pulled you over and is coming to talk to you for the first ever time. You have no reason to not respect him or her - unless of course you're pissed you got caught doing something wrong and are trying to blame the cop, which is entirely possible and all too common and probably the case for many people who wind up in not so good situations with police officers.

First of all, we are talking about BAD COPS, not Candidates who may go Bad. You can't be a Bad Cop without being a Cop, can you?

Do you seriously believe that when a Bad Cop acts out, its always his first Rodeo, and no one has ever seen any other questionable actions? Please, spare me that. Its almost never their first time, or first sign.

When your getting stopped, you don't have to "disrespect" the Officer, but you don't have to treat them as Royalty, either. You treat them as you would any other human being, regardless of what they do or their position.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
First of all, we are talking about BAD COPS, not Candidates who may go Bad. You can't be a Bad Cop without being a Cop, can you?
You said this:
Quote:
Not all Cops are Bad, but by the same token, not all Cops are good. Some of them are no better than Nazis. Some of you seem to think that because the Good Cops out number the Bad Cops, we should quit complaining about the assaults, and the killings these Bad Cops commit. Doesn't work that way folks. There should be no "Bad Cops" out there at all. And when found, they should be swiftly snatched from the system and dealt with as common criminals.
So I said this:
Quote:
In a perfect world, there should/would be no bad anybody. No bad doctors, no bad judges, no bad nurses, no bad teachers. But there are bad people in all professions - either bad at their jobs or sucky people. You can't ever stop it, no matter how much it "should" happen. You have unrealistic expectations.
The only way to ever weed out the bad cops is after they do something bad. So what are you really accomplishing? Oops, he killed someone, now we have to fire him - but that person is not coming back. There's still been a loss. When a doctor kills someone by neglecting to do something in surgery or something (like Joan Rivers' doctor who is now in trouble), you don't know they've done something bad or could do something bad until it happens. You can't look at a cop, or a guy in the acadmemy and say, well he's gonna be bad, let's can him now. Something has to happen first. This is what I mean when I saw you can't weed out bad cops. Not until they do something bad. And at that point, something has already been done, people are already up in arms and chanting things like "black lives matter" for 7 months while destroying their own city because of a controversial arrest/death of a criminal. The only way to not have bad cops out there is to catch them after they've done something bad. So the bad thing happens regardless. This goes back to the idea that there will always be bad people in all professions and when you catch them, you investigate it, maybe a grand jury or DA will decide to take legal action, and at the best they're simply fired if need be.

Quote:
Do you seriously believe that when a Bad Cop acts out, its always his first Rodeo, and no one has ever seen any other questionable actions? Please, spare me that. Its almost never their first time, or first sign.
Uh, well, there has to be a first at some point.

It also depends on how you define "bad" and the situation, and how the person the cop was arresting/"treating badly" was acting. If an officer shoots an "unarmed man" it doesn't instantly make him a bad cop. What was that unarmed man doing? Was he on drugs? Was he making a direct threat? Was he charging at the police despite orders to stop? Was he driving a car and charging at the police or at a crowd of people? To some people, shooting an "unarmed man" alone makes a cop a bad cop and means he deserves to be fired and probably even tried for murder.

Just because YOU think a cop did something bad doesn't mean the department thinks he deserves to be fired or a lawyer thinks he should be charged with something. It's not a one size fits all.

Old 07-24-2015, 10:47 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,081,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I don't have problems with the police either but while I drive the speed limit and don't commit crimes, I have to confess I usually don't wear pants. Hmmmm..... Yeah, funny how that works.
Living in El Paso, I typically don't wear pants, either. I wear shorts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think some of you are really missing the point.

People like me have never had an unpleasant run-in with cops. But that doesn't mean we can't see cops being unprofessional, particularly in this day of quick video.
Here's my point: there is no such profession where you couldn't find someone who acted unprofessional at one point or another. And yes, that applies to religious leaders as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events