Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 10:44 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is not at all the case among my friends and fellow liberals. Are you going by message boards? if so, I would hardly use that as a measuring stick of how educated, politically aware and involved people feel about current events. To many simply use it as a place to rant and rave, of both parties, but I do not consider those people true liberals, nor conservatives.

Also I feel I must restate, it is almost exclusively conservatives who are against government funded (or even employer health insurance) paying for birth control, which to me seems completely counter-productive.
Both message boards and outin real life. Most liberals really do think there is nothing wrong with poor single people breeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 10:49 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Both message boards and outin real life. Most liberals really do think there is nothing wrong with poor single people breeding.
That's not true in the slightest, sorry.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
This is not at all the case among my friends and fellow liberals. Are you going by message boards? if so, I would hardly use that as a measuring stick of how educated, politically aware and involved people feel about current events. To many simply use it as a place to rant and rave, of both parties, but I do not consider those people true liberals, nor conservatives.

Also I feel I must restate, you say it is conservatives alone who believe single parenthood is a problem, yet it is almost exclusively conservatives who are against government funded (or even employer health insurance in some cases) paying for birth control, which to me seems completely counter-productive and doesn't make sense nor align with what you state regarding what conservatives believe about single parenthood.
Quote:
That's not true in the slightest, sorry.
Let me hear it from you.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:01 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,289,884 times
Quote:
Most of these people are single mothers, how are they going to be long haul truckers? I also don't think it's a job just anyone can do...I know for instance I do not have the spatial skills needed to drive a semi. Also not everyone can just move, especially if they have family helping them out or that they are helping out...moving requires money as well.
Truck driving is just one example. There is also the military. Lots of moms and dads make the sacrifice for that. The single mom is just one parent. Where is that child's father and why isn't he helping out with finances and child raising duties? They were together to make that baby. They need to figure something to give that child a happy and secure upbringing. If mom is the chosen one to raise that baby, then maybe dad needs to get a job or join the military and use the GI benefits to further his education so he can provide more money.

I know people who take on mowing lawns to bring in extra income. We were charged $75 for a one acre lot. Now we have a .25 acre lot and pay $25 per week. I don't have a maid or housekeeper, but plenty of people do. Someone who is reliable, trustworthy, and good at their job can make some extra money doing that. One mom used to bring her 2 or 3 year old child with her when she worked. Window washing doesn't require a lot of skill or supplies. That is a service that is in demand by a lot of people.

None of these are glamorous or highly skilled jobs. The people doing these jobs are people willing to work. These people were doing it in addition to another job. Some people were doing it to make ends meet. Others were doing it to get some savings in the bank.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:09 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Let me hear it from you.
What are you talking about? hear what from me? You can read my many posts on this thread, did I say anywhere single parenthood isn't one of the reasons for the poverty cycle? Why am I fighting for free BC if I don't think it's an issue?

Old 08-01-2015, 12:43 PM

324 posts, read 271,097 times
Quote:
How can we even begin to formulate a solution if every time we try to discuss certain issues, like the percentage of unwed mothers in certain populations and the percentage of births paid for by medicaid, the discussion gets shut down by liberals and the people who try to discuss the issue are labeled as racists?

I don't know what the solution is, but I do know that helping to perpetuate the cycle of poverty by giving incentives to be single mothers AIN'T NO REAL SOLUTION.

On my way home from work a few weeks ago, on npr they were telling personal stories. There was this latino woman who told her story of how she was pressured by her family and peers to get pregnant because, and I quote, "the government will take care of you".

That ain't no solution.

How much do you want to bet it won't be long until people start accusing me of being a racist?
If you only knew how often I heard this same conversation among THE TEENAGERS on the school bus route I drove or over 8 years in ....

Yes the topic is brought up among the kids of today..... stop trying to deny the mentality that IS out there and getting WORSE!

Old 08-01-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? hear what from me? You can read my many posts on this thread, did I say anywhere single parenthood isn't one of the reasons for the poverty cycle? Why am I fighting for free BC if I don't think it's an issue?
Say it out. Be specific. Why shouldn't poor single people have kids?

Old 08-01-2015, 12:48 PM

286 posts, read 262,597 times
simply understanding "the rule" about having kids and you won't have these problems. The rule is "have at LEAST 1/4 million $, wisely invested, for each kid that you want to have " (in the US). If you're willing to move to the third world and raise your kids there, you can do it on 100k per kid. Do NOT count on a spouse to help you raise kids (especially if you are a female and especially if you're not a career professional of some sort, or have real help from your parents. There's nothing special about your genes (or mine). So get sterilized, no more hassles/worries/costs about birth control. and IF you (ever) have that 1/4 million $ invested,, THEN you can ADOPT a kid. Then you will be HELPING our race and our earth, instead of hurting it.

Your not having a real income is the same thing as your living on a deserted island, with the condtions there being that you can barely feed yourself. That's NOT the time to be having kids. Face reality, you haven't got what is required, so you DONT DO IT. That's just the intelligent, rational, not arrogant, non-pos thing to do. Get OVER this lizard-brain thing of "I MUST reproduce myself". It's simply not true, and it's not RIGHT to impose poverty on your kid(s) and burden all the taxpayers with raising them. If you have kids that you're not WELL set up to raise (by yourself, if need be, then you are (at least, subconsciously) counting upon using the STATE's guns to FORCE others to pay taxes to help you "raise" your kids. That means that you're an unthinking, selfish- arrogant pos. In the US, the days are LONG GONE when more kids means more hands to do the farm work. That died out a century ago. Get over it.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:56 PM

148 posts, read 132,063 times
Quote:
Say it out. Be specific. Why shouldn't poor single people have kids?
A better question is why breeding should be limited to those who has money. It makes personal economical sense, I'll give you that, but it is a human right to bear a child, even if they can't raise it in the most optimal of conditions. To say otherwise is inhumane, for a lack of better words.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:00 PM

148 posts, read 132,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Unicorn View Post
If you only knew how often I heard this same conversation among THE TEENAGERS on the school bus route I drove or over 8 years in ....

Yes the topic is brought up among the kids of today..... stop trying to deny the mentality that IS out there and getting WORSE!
It isn't getting worse. Read the links in the OP since you can't be arsed to by yourself if I don't tell you to. If you disagree, post evidence to the contrary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events