Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 02:09 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,322,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Taking welfare/foodstamps/snap, etc is taking from someone else who actually worked to earn that money. I don't care if that woman laid with worthless men to pop out bastard babies with no consideration for the consequences. She "deserves" nothing even though she demands the public provide financial support for her bad decisions in life.

So if she takes from the public, then there should be no expectations that she won't be criticized for it as well. If she was a real mom, she'd find the worthless "fathers" and make them support their children instead of dumping it on the rest of us.

I have no issue with providing assistance to those who truly need it, i.e. the elderly, the truly disabled, etc., but no able bodied, working age adult should be on assistance. Period.
Here's a scenario for you. I have a friend who comes from a middle to upper middle class family. She's in her mid 20's, lives at home and is currently on disability. Yes, she's "legitimately" disabled, she spends most of her time in mental health treatment programs trying to get well.

She doesn't receive Social Security Disability (SSDI) because she doesn't have enough work hour credits to qualify.

She instead get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for her that's roughly $700 a month cash, $175 in SNAP benefits and Medicaid.

While I understand the (ridiculous) belief that people on assistance didn't "earn" that money. She paid taxes when she did work and her family pays more than their fair share in taxes yearly. You could effectively argue that the contributions her family makes to taxes/social security are what is paying for her benefits.

I'm so sick of people who think those on assistance have a wonderful life.

If you think it's so great, sell all your belongings, liquidate your assets and go down to social services to get what those you have such disgust for get.

Let me know how wonderful your life as a welfare queen is going living off of assistance after the first 3 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 03:42 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,334,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Would be interesting to know more of her details. She went to college but never made more than $11/hr.
Kids? How many did she choose to have and why no child support from the babies daddies.
Child support expensive? Sounds like she has maybe 2 older kids.

Doesn't sound like she's abusing the system. That should not be a problem.
Bad choices in life? Probably but we all make a few.
Why do responsible people have to pay for other people's irresponsibilities?

Old 07-26-2015, 03:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,541,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Except there is no way for anyone, standing in the grocery store checkout line, to tell who is abusing the system and who is not, but the judgement call is made anyway. It's demeaning and unnecessary.

How it is demeaning these days? How do you know how someone is paying? They swipe a plastic card that could be EBT, or debit, or credit.

Now I can remember as a kid when they had food stamp books. Where the person would hand the book to the cashier and the cashier ripped out the stamps.

So yes in those days, everyone knew.

But how does anyone know today? It's not like some big sign is flashing EBT to the other customers in line.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,541,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Here's a scenario for you. I have a friend who comes from a middle to upper middle class family. She's in her mid 20's, lives at home and is currently on disability. Yes, she's "legitimately" disabled, she spends most of her time in mental health treatment programs trying to get well.

She doesn't receive Social Security Disability (SSDI) because she doesn't have enough work hour credits to qualify.

She instead get Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for her that's roughly $700 a month cash, $175 in SNAP benefits and Medicaid.

While I understand the (ridiculous) belief that people on assistance didn't "earn" that money. She paid taxes when she did work and her family pays more than their fair share in taxes yearly. You could effectively argue that the contributions her family makes to taxes/social security are what is paying for her benefits.

I'm so sick of people who think those on assistance have a wonderful life.

If you think it's so great, sell all your belongings, liquidate your assets and go down to social services to get what those you have such disgust for get.

Let me know how wonderful your life as a welfare queen is going living off of assistance after the first 3 months.

Why does someone who lives with their parents who by your words are " middle to upper middle class family" need assistance with food?

It doesn't cost that much more if you're feeding two people(her parents) to feed one more.

I could see if the parents were hard up but you said they're financially comfortable. That's taking advantage.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:02 PM

10,019 posts, read 7,163,632 times
We're either going to have these programs or we're not.

If we have them, there will be a percentage of people that take advantage who probably don't really "need it." In order to determine that, we'd have to spend twice the amount of the benefit on workers whose job it is to determine whether the person "needs it." We already have enough of them.

How many of you know people that don't fully "deserve" the salary they earn at work? Same principle. Some people truly earn their salary, others don't, some did at one time and now don't, others didn't and now do, etc...

Old 07-26-2015, 05:15 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,432,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart-dumb-kid View Post
The whole premise of your rant is wrong. That why I didn't do a rebuttal, and posted the undeniable truth about your posting history. " Taking welfare/foodstamps/snap, etc is taking from someone else who actually worked to earn that money." Do you not see the ignorance in this statement? Let's take a look at Wal-Mart to highlight everything that is wrong with statement.
Creating a post of web links isn't defending yourself. I can find links to counter every one of them, but I'm not going to bother with the battle of the web links. I can speak for myself. Furthermore calling me "ignorant" is even more insult. Logical discussion does not depend upon either.

As I said, get back to me when you can actually address what I've posted. You have yet to do so.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
And what are those amazing things we should all aspire for? We should aspire to exchange 1 unit of our labor for lets say 100000 units of labor of others to fathom all the magesty of Universe and our special place in it. In other words modernity modifies master-slave treadmill a little, but you are free to delude yourself..
Whatever you want. Crying about being a nothing isn't going to get you anywhere. Accomplishment requires work and sacrifice like most things worthwhile, and that is usually the part where some people drop out and instead start complaining about "the system".

Old 07-26-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post

Today, they have a plastic card, and I don't know how anyone can tell it's a SNAP card unless they're standing at the user's elbow. I use a debit card and I suppose observers can think that I'm using food benefits (I'm not), but with the growing number of shoppers who rarely carry cash, it would be pretty difficult to assume which of us is using SN-AP.
Oh it's easy enough. You are the one in line who has to pay twice. i.e. the stuff that welfare doesn't cover.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:23 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,240,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
$100 buys easily 3-4 months worth of staples for a single person.

... maybe in 1968.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post

You obviously didn't bother to read what I posted. Go back and read the last sentence. It makes your entire post moot. So save your false outrage for someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events