Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 06:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Would this be a good time to point that..........

If your DL is suspended, SO is you car insurance policy. No insurance company is going to cover a unlicensed driver, which is exactly what a "suspended driver " is. Think about that before you argue on behalf of the suspended driver, who still drives around. YOU could be their next victim.

Perhaps there is a business waiting to be started up here...........Drive service for those who have been suspended for being drunk behind the wheel.

Oh wait........why would somebody who doesn't do the right thing, and gets caught doing it......... such as drink and drive, spend money to obey their court ordered sentence ? What was I thinking ?

How about the car that they used to break the law.............being seized? Would that help them not drive while suspended ? Maybe. If the car still has monthly payments to the bank or a loan company, well that's the breaks, buddy. Keep on paying, as you agreed to do on the contract, right ?

If you think that I am tough on this subject, you are right.

Jim B.
That's a great idea! What could they call it.....how about taxi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2015, 06:04 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,602,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Right. I am a small woman. I have a glass and a half of wine with dinner at a nice restaurant, I will fail a .08 breathalyzer. I don't think the penalty for .08 should be identical to someone who blows 1.3.

As you may know, I agree with you on many things, but this isn't one of them. I think responsible people err on the side of caution, and if your license is suspended, you don't drive during that time.

These are not law abiding people. It sounds like they're excuse makers.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:09 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, why would you be pulled over in the first place (unless DWB) unless you were sloppy while driving?
Well, here in OC, it's a dry town. everyone goes out to dinner and dancing, etc in the next town over the bridge...the cops just sit on the bridge and pull people over, sometimes one, sometimes a few at a time. In my one friend's case, that is what happened. In my other friend's case, she was black and driving at night in a white area.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:12 PM

546 posts, read 408,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirron View Post
There's a guy down the road from us who has racked up 4 DUIs in the last four years in three different counties. The most recent was hitting a school bus in broad daylight. His license is revoked, yet he still manages to find someone who lets him use their car. He pulled a whopping 60 days in the slammer, total.

I never knew our public defender was that good.
If the vehicles were seized regardless of ownership, I bet fewer people would loan their cars to people with suspended licenses.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
ocnjgirl.

How about this......No alcohol in any driver's blood stream at any time ? Call a cab, use public transport, call a friend, sleep over, or don't drink except at home.

It can be done, but it will take a major shift in public attitude towards the problem, and it is a problem, right ?

Jim B.
Who is going to call a cab because they had a glass of wine with their crabcakes?? If everyone did just suddenly stop ordering drinks with dinner unless they were able to cab it, half the restaurants in the country would go under. Apparently there is a connection, because the restaurant owners here in OC keep campaigning every few years to have BYOB allowed in restaurants, because they claim lack of alcohol as the main reason OC can't keep good restaurants.

What is ideal and what is actually realistic is often not the same. I'm going ti a wedding on Saturday...I am not taking a cab because it's 60 miles away....but I will have my glass of champagne and probably a cocktail before dancing, and drive home at the end of the night. I will not be impaired from that, IMO, but it's certainly possible I could fail a .08.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:17 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Who is going to call a cab because they had a glass of wine with their crabcakes?? If everyone did just suddenly stop ordering drinks with dinner unless they were able to cab it, half the restaurants in the country would go under. Apparently there is a connection, because the restaurant owners here in OC keep campaigning every few years to have BYOB allowed in restaurants, because they claim lack of alcohol as the main reason OC can't keep good restaurants.
What's wrong with having a designated driver?

Old 07-25-2015, 06:30 PM

191 posts, read 213,436 times
My employer has a strict policy; if you admit to DUI or are found guilty of DUI, you are immediately terminated.

It didn't use to be that way, until a contractor working for us got on an interstate going the wrong way and killed four people in a head on collision.

That policy certainly eliminates the "how am I supposed to get to work?" argument.

If you know that the police set up DUI checks between where you live and where you party, why not have a designated driver?

Old 07-25-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What's wrong with having a designated driver?
I don't have a designated driver. I;m single and the only member of my family in this area, am I supposed to hire someone to go with me to the wedding? When I meet my friends for dinner, we are all coming form different areas after work.

My last bf was in recovery and that was perfect....I had a built in designated driver. But when single it's not so easy.

My feelings" if towns were truly interested in stopping drunk driving rather than collecting the massive revues from it, they would use some of the fine money to actually prevent drunk driving. For instance I mentioned my town is dry and the next town 4 miles over is not, and that's where most of the bars and restaurants are...one bridge, one main road with all the places along the water....the cops know everyone goes to drink there and then drive back to OC, thus the DUI traps....why not instead of catching them after the fact, have a trolley or bus that does nothing but go back and forth over the bridge between the 2 towns? It doesn't even have to be free, charge $3.00 each way and it will still be used.

I also think bars that provide busses or other transport should be given huge tax breaks.

The reason IMO they don't do any of this, is because they want the money more than safety (it is massive amounts in some towns). I think the reason they keep lowering the "impaired" number is more money.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:49 PM

78,353 posts, read 60,556,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, why would you be pulled over in the first place (unless DWB) unless you were sloppy while driving?
In my neighborhood yes.

Frankly, I live in a more upscale area and if they see certain license plates (neighboring state) or otherwise watch the neighborhood bar at closing time....you are playing with fire in my city because they have little *normal* crime to deal with.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:58 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,627,751 times
Missouri has always been lenient with drunk driving laws and many of the politicians are alcoholics who get their DWI/DUI's " Fixed." It's not unusual to find a driver with 7 or 8 DUI's still driving and drinking, one guy had 13 and was still driving. There's a stretch of road near me that has a number of bars and the street department has to replace the road signs every few months because the drunks keep knocking them over. Sometimes we would lose power or phone service when they plow into a telephone pole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events