U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 02:59 PM

29,373 posts, read 26,333,708 times

Advertisements

People seem to be forgetting that Doyle had a CCW. So it is likely that he was highly skilled and trained to remain cool calm and collected.

Guys like that aren't going to freak out and shoot somebody in front of their wife and kids unless there is no alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 03:30 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,351,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It puzzles and pains me that a high number of people behave like wild animals who have zero respect for life. Forty years ago, instances like this were rare. WTH has happened along the way?
I think people believe too much of what they see on TV, which is geared to make you think there is a serial killer waiting for you behind every tree. Being scared and suspicious all the time makes you more likely to do something stupid in a situation that would not normally be dangerous.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:30 PM

7,281 posts, read 8,878,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Oh, please??

You quoted what I wrote but apparently didn't take the time to read it!

Forty years ago everybody and their mother wasn't carrying a piece armed with the mentality fostered by stand-your-ground and a freaking off the chart understanding of what imminent threat actually means.

Get real, 40 years ago, there was JROTC in high schools, kids still got 22s for Birthdays and Christmas (and there was a Christmas allowed) and a lot more.

Now you say EVERYBODY (read your own post) and their mother is carrying a piece. Now prove that and don't hide behind some literary embellishment or slight exaggeration, you know that isn't true and so does everyone else.

If you could come even close to making a post with a shred of truth in it, you might have a point, as it is nothing you've said so far, nothing - is true or even close to it.

Drink less, think more.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:04 PM

17,002 posts, read 20,686,468 times
Quote:
There is nothing new about road rage shootings in Florida, they've been going on for years.
It's a weekly event in FL. Having lived there for a few years I can tell you it is loaded with hotheads and nut jobs(most of whom are transplants).

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you've got it right here.

If Gonzalez wanted to report the guy, couldn't he have used a license plate number (as I recall, Florida has front and back license plates), or just drive down the street, get the address, leave, and then report it?

Of course, the other nut job might have then gone to his home...
You're incorrect about two plates. FL only has back plates. One of the many annoying things down there was many would drive with front plates from NY, NJ, MA and have a FL plate on the back. FL also has hundreds of style of plates(unlike other states) so half the time if you're trying to get the plate number you not sure is that a FL plate or not.

They love to complicate things down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
People seem to be forgetting that Doyle had a CCW. So it is likely that he was highly skilled and trained to remain cool calm and collected.

Guys like that aren't going to freak out and shoot somebody in front of their wife and kids unless there is no alternative.
Are you trying to be funny? I have no problem with someone owning a gun, but your comment is like saying everyone who has a driver's license is a good driver.

FL is LOAEDED with many hotheads who turn into Wyatt Earp after they move there, and why not, all you have to say is you felt threatened and you're off the hook.

I have lived all over the country, FL was the only state where you would constantly hear about a neighbor dispute or road rage ending with somebody dead. Yes, it can happen anywhere but FL is something else.

Old 07-26-2015, 05:29 PM

7,328 posts, read 4,015,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

Drink less, think more.
In the morning I will be sober, but you will still be literarily challenged.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
It's a weekly event in FL. Having lived there for a few years I can tell you it is loaded with hotheads and nut jobs(most of whom are transplants).

You're incorrect about two plates. FL only has back plates. One of the many annoying things down there was many would drive with front plates from NY, NJ, MA and have a FL plate on the back. FL also has hundreds of style of plates(unlike other states) so half the time if you're trying to get the plate number you not sure is that a FL plate or not.

They love to complicate things down there.

Are you trying to be funny? I have no problem with someone owning a gun, but your comment is like saying everyone who has a driver's license is a good driver.

FL is LOAEDED with many hotheads who turn into Wyatt Earp after they move there, and why not, all you have to say is you felt threatened and you're off the hook.

I have lived all over the country, FL was the only state where you would constantly hear about a neighbor dispute or road rage ending with somebody dead. Yes, it can happen anywhere but FL is something else.
There is a weekly road rage shooting in FL? Really?

Are there also weekly road rage shooting in Texas? If not, then isn't it reasonable to think it is people and not guns responsible?

Seems kind of strange that guns are always blamed, never the people. Typical of the liberal mindset, never blame anyone for anything, always blame some thing and all because it is easier and you don't have to blame the liberal policies and failures in the liberal experiments in education for many of the ills in this country.

Nah, don't blame people, why...that would mean someone is responsible and not something.

How nice it must be to only take responsibility for something when it comes to Obama and taking credit for accomplishing things. For everything else, blame some thing.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
In the morning I will be sober, but you will still be literarily challenged.
You might be sober, you'll still say things that aren't true. Thanks for admitting you are drunk though, it does explain some things.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:57 PM

2,839 posts, read 1,695,911 times
Quote:
Oh, please??

You quoted what I wrote but apparently didn't take the time to read it!

Forty years ago everybody and their mother wasn't carrying a piece armed with the mentality fostered by stand-your-ground and a freaking off the chart understanding of what imminent threat actually means.

Forty years ago the murder rate in the US was double of what it is now.

Just because we learn of more murders doesn't mean we have more murders. We have fewer.

How hard is this to grasp ?

Old 07-26-2015, 08:51 PM

7,328 posts, read 4,015,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Forty years ago the murder rate in the US was double of what it is now.

Just because we learn of more murders doesn't mean we have more murders. We have fewer.

How hard is this to grasp ?

The issue isn't the murder rate or anything related to conceal carry, it is the mentality displayed by too many that there is some unfettered right to use lethal force to defend oneself against any imaginary threat, hence my reference to "stand your ground," a defense that is being used in ways never imagined and contrary to the intent of those who passed the law.

Florida 'stand your ground' law yields some shocking outcomes depending on how law is applied | Tampa Bay Times

I don't find the shooting itself to be all that remarkable, what struck me was Mr. Doyle's sense of utter self-righteousness. He actually not only told the 911 operator that he he was, "cocked, locked and ready to go," and that he was going to "shoot the victim in the head" once he got home, but that he also would think that he had the right to hold Mrs. Gonzalez and her children at gun point until police arrived!

That is an amazing set of presumptions on the part of Mr. Doyle.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:33 PM

4,262 posts, read 3,924,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post
Let's not besmirch the reputation of wild animals. They are rarely involved in road rage incidents.
Never seen one kill another animal outside of food, mating, or actual self-defense either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events