Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 12:45 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Exactly. And having lived in FL I lost count of the number of conversations that had nothing to do with guns, that turned into talking about guns, and some seemed very eager to be able to shoot someone and know they can get away with it.
My feeling is that Florida's SYG law will be modified but not until.....

A series of wild SYG shooting occurs where the deceased is one of the "respectable" members of society and not from the ghetto, barrio or trailer parrk. Basically, I think alot of those most engaged in "gun talk" and who were pusihing for Florida's SYG law think along the lines of:

Self Defense (n): Those who think, act and look like I do have broad rights of self defense
Second Amendment (n): Those who think, act and look like I do The second Amendment rights of those who are affirmed and encourgaged.

The more you dont look like me, then the less I want you to use broad self defense riights against somebody I know, and the less I am going to encourage your gun rights..... .

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Let me say it in smaller words: It is possible Doyle thought the rest of the family was a threat, too.
Yes, that is probably going to be what he will claim at court. Too bad a jury needs to find his actions to be "reasonable". My bet is that given the totality of the situation, the jury is not going to give Doyle a broad definition of "reasonable". In short, Doyle is probably going to be "standing his ground" from very real threats- in rec yards, cell blocks, and uhmm... of yeah.... in shower rooms for the next 30 years or so.

Last edited by Cryptic; 07-27-2015 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 12:53 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
You know, the best advice I received when I moved back to the Big City about crazy drivers was the words "Let it Go".

Sounds like both parties should have "Let it go".

Old 07-27-2015, 02:38 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Doyle flew off the handle. Gonzalez should NOT have followed him home, and his wife is full of baloney--you don't need someone's address to file a report. The license number is what's needed. This was a collision of fools.

All that testosterone...

Old 07-27-2015, 02:41 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Apparently Gonzalez missed the NRA pitch about getting armed. More guns. We simply don't have enough guns.

Had Gonzales been armed, Doyle might have backed off, or at least it would have been a fair fight: Mano -a -mano. Maybe Doyle might have even taken a round or two before dropping Gonzalez.

Pay attention folks: more guns are the answer to these sorts of incidents. Why are people not getting the message?
I can't really tell if this is sarcasm, but I sure hope so.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:14 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Forty years ago everybody and their mother wasn't carrying a piece armed with the mentality fostered by stand-your-ground and a freaking off the chart understanding of what imminent threat actually means.
Very well said.

Sure, there have always been armed idiots. In the past, however, the State was not juicing the idiots up. Rather, the Common Law based on centuries of common sense said you had to make at least a token effort to leave before using deadly force outside your home. Florida junked that wisdom with a poorly written SYG law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Doyle flew off the handle. Gonzalez should NOT have followed him home, and his wife is full of baloney--you don't need someone's address to file a report. The license number is what's needed. This was a collision of fools.
Fools operating in a respesct / disrespect mode. My bet is that both men felt disrespected- and had to have the final say. Now, one is dead and the other might as well be as he is looking at dying in prison.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:15 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,676,857 times
What a coward, someone pissing you off is no reason to kill them. The family will live with this forever.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:27 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Get real, 40 years ago, there was JROTC in high schools, kids still got 22s for Birthdays and Christmas (and there was a Christmas allowed) and a lot more.

Now you say EVERYBODY (read your own post) and their mother is carrying a piece. Now prove that and don't hide behind some literary embellishment or slight exaggeration, you know that isn't true and so does everyone else.

If you could come even close to making a post with a shred of truth in it, you might have a point, as it is nothing you've said so far, nothing - is true or even close to it.

Drink less, think more.
Most kids, in most parts of America, did not get 22s for their birthdays. Just ridiculous..

Old 07-27-2015, 04:21 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
MY COMMENTS ARE NOT ABOUT GUN CONTROL, AVAILABILITY OF GUNS, OR THE VIOLENT CRIME RATE!

Thank you in advance for not addressing those points in reply to any of my comments on this thread.
Can you say then what the below post was in reference to? Perhaps I misunderstood.

Quote:
Forty years ago everybody and their mother wasn't carrying a piece armed with the mentality fostered by stand-your-ground and a freaking off the chart understanding of what imminent threat actually means. I would bring up another factor but I'm not going there for the moment.

And this...Cryptic his post was not about gun control!!!!!! We know that because he said so in bold capital letters. He's gonna yell at you as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
Very well said.
Sure, there have always been armed idiots. In the past, however, the State was not juicing the idiots up. Rather, the Common Law based on centuries of common sense said you had to make at least a token effort to leave before using deadly force outside your home. Florida junked that wisdom with a poorly written SYG law.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:24 PM

50,253 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Can you say then what the below post was in reference to? Perhaps I misunderstood.
From reading this thread that was a bottle of something talking.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:29 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,881,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
From reading this thread that was a bottle of something talking.
Well he is the WiseWINO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events