Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times

Advertisements

So far as seeing a collar under the mane on a lion may not be as easy as you think.
Also knowing THAT lion over some OTHER lion may not be as easy as you think .
A lot of hunting, especially on the ground, and after serious preditors, is not like sitting in an elevated stand many deer and bear hunters use .
I have been hunted by mountain lion twice I know of for sure, face to face One by a few yards, and another by only a few feet. An animal like that you don't time the time to study all the features.
There may also be a history on that animal not being includes with the facts. Like quite possibly people it's eaten.
Cats are opportunistic hunters and use every means at their disposal including lying in wait=ambush .( my last encounter)
I do not hunt for trophies ,strictly for food.
However it should be noted that some countries do not allow you to take the meat, it must be left for the people .
Secondly trophy hunting is usually older animals that age will take them soon enough. and there are many that do die of old age having avoided their natural preditors.
Lions do kill one another over the pride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I did shoot pests but I did not enjoy it. Keeping the rat population down was just another chore. I never had much desire to shoot for sport before a year in 'Nam and absolutely none since I returned.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
This is a truly sad event and unfortunately not an infrequent one. I know someone who trophy hunts, he and his wife are so proud they have scrapbooks full of pictures of his "safari" trips which they will pull out on a moments notice to show everyone how he killed this or that animal.
Where we/they lived is big time hunting country (Montana) and seeing various animals hanging to age or game trophies is not unusual at all.

Here's the big BUT..... Those animals hanging or those "trophies" on the wall were taken for food and to keep the animal population healthy. How many, what size and where they are taken are tightly controlled and violators of those rules will certainly have serious consequences befall them when caught and would be shunned by most of their peers if they're poaching.

Nobody I know would think of leaving a wounded animal for hours much less days, they'd not stop tracking their shot until they either found it and dispatched it or completely lost it.

If there's a big game trophy hunt that's needed to cull the heard for their survival that's one thing but this was none of that. Cecil clearly had a collar on and the "hunter" didn't care, he wanted this cape and head on a wall to show how great he is.

I hope the law mets out the punishment he deserves, maybe a few/several years in an African jail will enlighten him as to where he went wrong.

Personally, I think a possible sentence of a couple of years providing free dental care to the protected big game animals of Zimbabwe would fit the crime. Maybe spending extended time around these animals instead of just flying in shooting one and leaving, instead, helping them and seeing their world might just open his eyes to the rest of the cosmos.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
If the Lion was such a national treasure and there are so many people complaining about hunting-

Then why does Zimbabwe allow hunting?

Time to wake up and smell the roses. Did he enter the country illegally? No, they let him in. Was he able to buy a permit to hunt?

Who let him do that? Well, the country let him do it. What is everyone complaining about?

We practically eradicated every large game animal in California didn't WE? This constant preaching about things like this is amazing.

Zimbabwe is responsible. That is who people should be upset with.
I said at the very beginning of this thread that Zimbabwe needs to rethink their 'trophy hunting' tourist attraction. They are as much to blame as the hunter given that he paid for guides and had the necessary permits, etc.

That said, I still think only a special kind of sadist would enjoy trophy hunting. AND - that is not the kind of person I want poking around in my mouth. Ugh. When people think you might be a monster, they no longer entrust any part of their health to you; as it should be.

The two guides have been arrested, no? What repercussions will this foolish dentist face? Bad PR?

Old 07-29-2015, 09:00 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
To the thankfully few people defending this hunter's actions, doesn't the fact that the majority of the world decries his actions as abominable and repulsive make you think twice that maybe there is something wrong in your mindset?

The claim that these hunts contribute greatly to the wildlife's benefits is just a red herring. If these hunters truly had a desire to contribute to wildlife protection and preservation, they would donate the thousands of dollars to reputable agencies. If they wanted the chance to see these creatures alive and in their natural habitat, how about going on a kill-less safari and taking some incredible pictures for the money they paid? But no......they have to kill the animal and then claim they are performing a valuable service for wildlife. I call b.s.

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I believe you're the one who doesn't get it. Actually I believe you do, but you just can't admit it.
Who allowed him into the country to hunt?

Answer the question if you dare? As usual, you keep talking about me instead of the topic because you know where it leads. To those truly responsible but then you couldn't soeak about one single person and would have to admit what and how it all took place.

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
So far as seeing a collar under the mane on a lion may not be as easy as you think.
Also knowing THAT lion over some OTHER lion may not be as easy as you think .
A lot of hunting, especially on the ground, and after serious preditors, is not like sitting in an elevated stand many deer and bear hunters use .
I have been hunted by mountain lion twice I know of for sure, face to face One by a few yards, and another by only a few feet. An animal like that you don't time the time to study all the features.
There may also be a history on that animal not being includes with the facts. Like quite possibly people it's eaten.
Cats are opportunistic hunters and use every means at their disposal including lying in wait=ambush .( my last encounter)
I do not hunt for trophies ,strictly for food.
However it should be noted that some countries do not allow you to take the meat, it must be left for the people .
Secondly trophy hunting is usually older animals that age will take them soon enough. and there are many that do die of old age having avoided their natural preditors.
Lions do kill one another over the pride.
So you don't think they saw the collar? Not even, you know, while they were in the process of decapitating the creature? The dude admitted that he saw the collar and they even tried to destroy it. He knew it was a tracked animal and still didn't report it. He just high tailed his sorry butt back to Minnesota.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:02 AM

If he had shot a bear in the USA, not one of those complaining now would say a word.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:03 AM

No hunting there, no need to worry about collars.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:03 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
If he had shot a bear in the USA, not one of those complaining now would say a word.
Oh really? What they did was poaching. Do you know what hunters do with bear? They have dogs that chase the bears up trees & then they shoot it. That's poaching. You think that's cool? You justify that, don't you? Disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events