Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 09:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
News coverage of current events-
CBS, NBC, ABC time combined
killing a lion - 30 minutes
Harvesting and selling body parts from dead babies - 11 minutes
Interesting indication of what we have come to as a society isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 09:28 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,576,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Cecil the lion's killer revealed as American dentist - Telegraph

So, to sum up:
The lion was unlawfully lured out of a national park with bait. It was then shot over bait. It was then found the next day and shot and killed. The head and hide was taken - predictably, the rest was just discarded.

Since when is having someone else lure the game in with bait anything close to 'hunting'? Aside from the ethics of hunting, this clown did nothing of the sort. He sat on his ass while someone else put out raw meat to entice the lion out of its sanctuary, then he shot it - but it wasn't a killing shot - as it fed.

It's a pity the lion didn't have this fool for a meal.

More on this pathetic act:

Twin Cities dentist admits killing beloved lion, thought he was acting legally - StarTribune.com

Outrageous. What do they get out of killing an animal for a trophy anyway? They weren't going to eat it. I think they should do a complete 180 on the animal ownership ban and allow people to take the cubs of endangered animals, like lions and tigers, into their homes or raise them on ranches. That way, at least the population would be hearty enough to handle these crazy trophy hunters, and the odds would be more balanced if it were the bow and arrow trophy hunter vs. man-eating lions raised by human hands and then turned out on the range to fend for themselves after they turned on their owners. Call me morbid, but I think it would be a "purrfect" solution to the trophy hunters' blood lust and also help boost the endangered cat population.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:30 AM

8,881 posts, read 5,364,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post

I am sure that a similar campaign against an abortion doctor would result in a wave of outrage from the same people who act so self-righteously here. But there's no moral difference.

If he or anyone from his family is harmed because of the idiots posting their home address, I hope these idiots are tracked down and prosecuted as accessory. And that a good team of lawyers sues everyone who called for violence (skin alive.. Feed to lions...) because, you know, your IP addresses are not anonymous and can be tracked, and a case can be made that connects this hate campaign and calls for violence to actual physical harm being done. Perhaps this would teach the future wanna-be swarmers a lesson.
I wouldn't have a problem with an abortionist getting grief. In fact, it's already happened many times.

I was one of the iodiots who posted Elmer Fudd's home address. I figure the good team of lawyers can make a case against me, provided they go after Zillow, Twitter, Facebook and the towns Elmer has his property in, because those were the sites all the info was obtained from. Darned the Zillow.

I assume you were equally outraged at what was done to Lori Drew.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yes, he had a license to kill the bear legally but he didn't. He killed it outside of the hunting zone ILLEGALLY.
A minor point...<sarcasm off>

Old 07-31-2015, 09:33 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,116,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
A minor point...<sarcasm off>
A mere technicality as they say

Old 07-31-2015, 09:39 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,298,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with an abortionist getting grief. In fact, it's already happened many times.

I was one of the iodiots who posted Elmer Fudd's home address. I figure the good team of lawyers can make a case against me, provided they go after Zillow, Twitter, Facebook and the towns Elmer has his property in, because those were the sites all the info was obtained from. Darned the Zillow.

I assume you were equally outraged at what was done to Lori Drew.
Can it be shown that Zillow, Twitter etc. posted this info with specific intent to harm ?

Do you have as much money to hire a good defense team ?

And what does Lori Drew have to do with it ? This is completely different case.

I have a problem with the killer swarm mentality of people who are trying to cause actual harm to this dentist and his family thinking they are protected by anonymity and 1st A, some are clearly crossing the line and inciting violence. And of course they really have no anonymity. You may not know my real name but FBI can track it down via IP addresses in an hour.

Saying "he deserves to be killed" and then providing his address in the same thread after so many calls for violence... Obvious intent to harm.

Fools.

A good DA or a decent lawyer would have a field day with this should he or any member of his family be hurt by some nut who read this thread with all these calls for violence, got an idea stuck in his head, and obtained his home address from it. Could be a career defining, history making lawsuit even if not won.

Are you prepared to be one of the defendants ?

Last edited by Ummagumma; 07-31-2015 at 09:50 AM..

Old 07-31-2015, 09:46 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,364,563 times
I wonder how many of these "trial by social media" people that are calling for the death feel about the death penalty. I dont care for big game hunting, but at the same time if a trial does come to fruition, we can only hope that the true facts, and not "google/twitter/facebook investigative reporting" are presented and he gets a fair hearing.

Another good article about the understandable, but misplaced anger towards the Cecil killing.

Lions Like Cecil Die All the Time Because of Zimbabwe's Land Policies

Old 07-31-2015, 09:53 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
"Duh-uhhhhh, can you take me to go shoot a ferocious elyfant now?!"

The hunting guide hired by Dr. Palmer spoke out for the first time Thursday. Theo Bronkhorst spoke exclusively to The Telegraph, calling the hunt doomed from the start.

Bronkhorst said the hunt started late because of lost baggage and a last-minute change, leaving them hunting on the wrong land. The hunting party went home for the night after losing site of the lion, and found it wounded the next morning and that's when Palmer killed it.

The guide said they couldn't see the collar on Cecil because it was dark, and claims he was "devastated" when they found the beloved lion. Bronkhorst also said Palmer wanted to kill an elephant after he killed Cecil.

Cecil the lion's killer Walter Palmer 'wanted to stalk an elephant next - but couldn't find one big enough' - Telegraph

Old 07-31-2015, 09:55 AM

8,881 posts, read 5,364,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Can it be shown that Zillow, Twitter etc. posted this info with specific intent to harm ?

Do you have as much money to hire a good defense team ?

And what does Lori Drew have to do with it ? This is completely different case.

I have a problem with the killer swarm mentality of people who are trying to cause actual harm to this dentist and his family thinking they are protected by anonymity and 1st A, some are clearly crossing the line and inciting violence. And of course they really have no anonymity. You may not know my real name but FBI can track it down via IP addresses in an hour. Saying "he deserves to be killed" and then posting his address in the same thread... Fools. A good DA or a decent lawyer would have a field day with this should he or any member of his family be hurt by some nut who read this thread with all these calls for violence, and got his home address from it. Could be a career defining, history making lawsuit even if not won. Are you prepared to be one of the defendants ?
I don't need a defense team, because I have committed no crime. But thank you for your concern regarding my financial affairs.

Lori Drew was also initially found to have committed no crime. It is possible the mighty hunter here may have committed no crime in the United States. Drew's failure to commit an actual crime didn't stop the social media from honing in on her conduct.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:56 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,298,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
I wonder how many of these "trial by social media" people that are calling for the death feel about the death penalty. I dont care for big game hunting, but at the same time if a trial does come to fruition, we can only hope that the true facts, and not "google/twitter/facebook investigative reporting" are presented and he gets a fair hearing.

Another good article about the understandable, but misplaced anger towards the Cecil killing.

Lions Like Cecil Die All the Time Because of Zimbabwe's Land Policies
Who needs a due process, the lynching mob mentality and the ability to hurt someone from the privacy of your own home is just soooo much more satisfying.

Just look at what was done to Darren Wilson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events