Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2015, 12:06 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Some people care more about animals, nature and endangered species than others.
This is so true! It's so much simpler and easier to care about animals than about humans. Because to care about humans, one has to overcome messy things like racism, classism, gender bias, etc. One has to actually roll up one's sleeves, wade into the murky Human Condition, and mingle with people one may not want to mingle with. And there can be political complexities to overcome, authorities' personal interests at stake, corruption, public indifference, lots of pitfalls.

Animals are so much simpler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 12:07 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Yes, and to add:

1) if the hypothetical perpetrator testifies that he found the victim's address in a particular thread, it should be very easy to link that to particular posters. That perpetrator has no reason to protect people he doesn't know, and every reason to cooperate with authorities to make a better deal.

2) a civil suit can be directed against anyone calling for the physical harm and especially providing the home addresses. I believe there's a far broader criteria for this than for a criminal prosecution.
To my knowledge there has never been a case involving social media or individuals using social media to be prosecuted this way. The only thing that comes to mind is some of the bullying suicide cases may have come close. Certainly if Palmer shows up murdered these questions will come up as well as the responsibility of social media operators and website owners to police these sorts of things.

This "trial in the court of public opinion" thing has become very common and it's only a matter of time before it generates a legal fight on prosecution.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:08 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Wow, I'll bet Mr Lehrer had no idea he could have been charged with a crime for writing this .... I always thought it was hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfW2tYIn8-Q

Old 07-31-2015, 12:09 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Yes, and to add:

1) if the hypothetical perpetrator testifies that he found the victim's address in a particular thread, it should be very easy to link that to particular posters. That perpetrator has no reason to protect people he doesn't know, and every reason to cooperate with authorities to make a better deal.

2) a civil suit can be directed against anyone calling for the physical harm and especially providing the home addresses. I believe there's a far broader criteria for this than for a criminal prosecution.
Still makes no sense. The info is available to everyone who looks. Not on any particular thread either.

There is much less privacy than you assume these days.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:13 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonest View Post
big effing deal. a billion children are starving and you're worried about a lion? You're a sick excuse for a human.
Blame those who block birth control and abortion in starving countries. Now they are sick excuses for a human.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:19 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I'm no fan of trophy hunting, but I am disturbed by the petition at whitehouse.gov, which Pres. Obama said he's considering, demanding that an American citizen be extradited to Zimbabwe to face justice. Tell me, how many U.S. citizens do we extradite to third world dictatorships? I mean, I know this president doesn't seem to be able or willing to get our citizens out of prison in Iran for supposedly preaching Christianity or our marine who was imprisoned in Mexico, but I didn't think we would actually send a citizen to a banana republic to face justice.

Why is it okay to do that but Amanda Knox can't be extradited to face Italian justice for possibly taking part in the murder of a human being?
Amanda Knox was in prison for 4 years. Italy's highest court finally exonerated Knox less than a year ago.

That has nothing to do with the illegal killing of a lion.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:19 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I guess I don't understand the level of outrage either. Babies are dying, parts of the world are at the brink of war with each other, racial tensions are high here in the USA, some police are out of control.

Yeah it sucks the guy killed the lion, but there really are much more worthwhile reasons to get outraged.

If you read the article, I believe it was written by a journalist there in Zimbabwe, not an american journalist.
I think most of us have the ability to be concerned about more than one issue at a time.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:20 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Yes, and I'll bet the first time they refuse to return someone we want we'll be crying our eyes out.
I doubt many people flee to Zimbabwe.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:22 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
I saw the dentist's address (not sure if it was home or business) posted in the comments section on the New York Daily News within hours of this story being published.

I do think it is perfectly acceptable to post one's feelings and opinions about this situation, but it crosses a line (for me) when there are comments about violence being done to the dentist and posting his personal info.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:22 PM

21,467 posts, read 10,570,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
It is very easy to find almost everyone's addresses thru google. Don't you know that? Or is it just more false outrage?
It's not "false outrage" to be disgusted by this current practice of tweeting out people's home and business addresses in forums where there are death threats. Even if they could find the information elsewhere, people have no idea that they would do such a thing without someone else posting it. One of these days someone is going to be killed from this mob mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events