U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 08:51 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,269,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Cecil the lion – the most famous creature in one of Zimbabwe's national parks – was killed by an American hunter who has boasted about shooting a menagerie of animals with his bow and arrow, The Telegraph can reveal.

Walter Palmer, a dentist from Minnesota, is believed to have paid 35,000 to shoot and kill the much-loved lion with a bow and arrow. The animal was shot on July 1 in Hwange National Park. Two independent sources have confirmed the hunter's identity to the paper, which has also seen a copy of the relevant hunting permit.

Conservation groups in Zimbabwe reacted angrily to the news that the 13-year-old animal had been killed: partly because the lion was known to visitors and seemingly enjoyed human contact, and partly because of the way in which he was killed. He was lured out of the national park and shot.
Cecil the lion's killer revealed as American dentist - Telegraph

So, to sum up:
The lion was unlawfully lured out of a national park with bait. It was then shot over bait. It was then found the next day and shot and killed. The head and hide was taken - predictably, the rest was just discarded.

Since when is having someone else lure the game in with bait anything close to 'hunting'? Aside from the ethics of hunting, this clown did nothing of the sort. He sat on his ass while someone else put out raw meat to entice the lion out of its sanctuary, then he shot it - but it wasn't a killing shot - as it fed.

Quote:
He also has a well-documented fondness for shooting wild animals around the globe.
It's a pity the lion didn't have this fool for a meal.

More on this pathetic act:

Quote:
During a nighttime pursuit, the hunters tied a dead animal to their car to lure the lion out of a national park, said Johnny Rodrigues, chairman of the task force.

The American is believed to have shot it with a crossbow, injuring the animal. The wounded lion was found 40 hours later, and shot dead with a gun, Rodrigues said in the statement.

The lion was skinned and beheaded. The hunters tried to destroy the lion's collar, fitted with a tracking device, but failed, said the statement.
http://www.startribune.com/zimbabwe-...ion/318828251/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 09:12 AM

26,552 posts, read 19,023,480 times
too bad he can't spend a few years in a Zimbabwean jail contemplating his brave triumph over the lion.
disgusting and sad.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:15 AM

4,678 posts, read 3,609,147 times
Someone should hunt this fat dentist for his fake teeth as a trophy! Disgusting excuse for a human.

Another big problem with poaching is that many of the African countries are tin pot failed states with very weak governments and very poor capability to enforce rules because they are so institutionally corrupt. The animals suffer in the end. It's just miserable all around.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:18 AM

4,678 posts, read 3,609,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
too bad he can't spend a few years in a Zimbabwean jail contemplating his brave triumph over the lion.
disgusting and sad.
Why should a pathetic third world country like Zimbabwe feed this fat idiot in jail? Toss him to the lion pride and let him fend for himself without a high power rifle and so if he likes that. I would pay good money watching that!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:19 AM

698 posts, read 458,866 times
Sport hunters are scumbags, I can't stand people that get their rocks off by killing animals. They are sociopaths similar to serial killers and child molesters. Anyone that intentionally kills an animal for sport should be tortured and killed slowly over a period of months while their family is forced to watch.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:26 AM

26,552 posts, read 19,023,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Why should a pathetic third world country like Zimbabwe feed this fat idiot in jail? Toss him to the lion pride and let him fend for himself without a high power rifle and so if he likes that. I would pay good money watching that!
he's fat? he doesn't look very fat to me.

looks like he took his website down.

Dr. Walter J. Palmer, DDS | Bloomington Dentist - River Bluff Dental

Old 07-28-2015, 09:29 AM

12,159 posts, read 10,339,034 times
Throw him into the lion exhibit at the closest zoo. This man deserves death.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:32 AM

14,171 posts, read 6,415,927 times
Pos.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:37 AM

2,839 posts, read 1,693,661 times
RubBefore unloading on this dentist - did he know how the lion was procured ? Far more likely he paid for the official permit, then hired a local hunter guide company that would track the animal for him and bring him to it. That's how it works all over the world, a permit is obtained and a licensed local guide is hired to make sure everything is done legally.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:38 AM

14,154 posts, read 11,625,680 times
Yea, pretty sad commentary about what some people consider "hunting". Stalking, if you want to call it that, a well known , resident, animal, is a pathetic thing. There's an unwritten, hands off, rule, with such critters. But, they are usually older, very impressive animals, and some clown just has to have them. I saw a similar incident with a large, Desert Bighorn ram, a few years back. The guy that took him, was a local bigwig, drew the tag for the area via connections. I , literally, hated the guy before be killed that ram. His "hunt" sealed the deal.

I hunted most of my life. I'm not anti hunting. I don't hunt anymore, because I can't physically handle what its takes to truly hunt. I don't believe in not earning an animal, and I never hunted trophies. This incident with this lion...luring him off the sanctuary, trying to destroy his tracking collar, hmmm...I would think the local authority would have issue with that. Sadly ,money opens doors and buys people looking the other way. And not just in Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or