Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 02:18 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
The wage gap isn't a myth at all, but I agree deaths in the workplace probably vary. But doing the same job, for same amount of time with the same quality/effort (or even more in some cases) should mean equality of pay. It doesn't happen.
The wage gap is a myth. Women are significantly more likely to leave the workforce and are significantly more likely to work in low paying fields. Controlling for those the gap is non existent. I have already provided citations. Would you like more citations?

Non married woman make the same as men.

We need equality of work place accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 02:21 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,397 times
I work in corporate accounting for a Fortune 500. We have a lesbian on staff that dresses like a man and has a butchy haircut thats shaved in a non conventional fashion. Do you seriously think if I dressed like a woman my male dominated management would let me keep my job?

Old 07-28-2015, 02:22 PM

613 posts, read 462,947 times
Oh my God. Can't believe all the effing whining in this thread.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:23 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,885,691 times
Quote:
I don't understand what you are saying, the last bit makes no sense?
While the women earn less, they find somewhere money to spend more than men. What does it suggest to you? I'd say it's more fun to spend money than to earn them.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:23 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysterious View Post
oh my god. Can't believe all the effing whining in this thread.
i just want to wear a dress!!!!!

Old 07-28-2015, 02:37 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,885,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
i just want to wear a dress!!!!!
be a man, wear one

Old 07-28-2015, 03:13 PM

914 posts, read 972,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
The wage gap is a myth. Women are significantly more likely to leave the workforce and are significantly more likely to work in low paying fields. Controlling for those the gap is non existent. I have already provided citations. Would you like more citations?

Non married woman make the same as men.

We need equality of work place accidents.
yes because there is a lack of affordable childcare, plus they are the ones that work around a family, many men do not give up their careers even if as you are saying there is equal pay for men and women in the same roles and if you don't have family to help out then you have no choice but to leave. I'm not sure its choice with a lot as also annual leave here is pretty poor so again how do you cover school holidays(we get 3 months off here in the summer), rather necessity.

If maternity pay were better here then they maybe wouldn't leave as could have longer off and return when their child is that little bit older (before you jump down on this I mean a year -not on full pay obviously) The US is miles behind on this compared to most of the rest of the western world. 6 weeks off if you are lucky. Plus sometimes little flexible working even if it is possible.

I did see you citations but I also know for a fact I and many other female friends have earnt lower than other men doing the same if not a better job in some areas and this is not just one job sector.

A lot of women do not chose to do low paid work, they have to sacrifice their job to raise a family unless you are a woman who never has children or as you say are unmarried. Womens employment rights are also not always equal but like I said I do agree with the point on work place accidents.

When I had my family even though I waited(until I was 30) I left as a stand in supervisor and came back as just a regular helpdesk operator again after my manager trying to block my flexible hours return to work(HR stepped in and reminded him of the law!). All calls were logged on the helpdesk and I did as much if not more work than those working full time . I was in charge of a work colleague who worked full time yet spent most of this either sorting his son out when he got in trouble with the police or his day to day stuff for his wife. He was paid far more than I was even though he did a lesser job and if the new stand in supervisor was off I was expected to step in and never got my original role back. Thus limiting my earning power and promotion prospects.

My sister also had a similar incident when she left and then wanted to return Full time from maternity leave, only threatened court action stopped this happening and in the end she took redundancy knowing she had another job lined up as they made her life hell when she did return as the law would have favoured her. Do many men go through this? I think not?

Last edited by Montygirl; 07-28-2015 at 03:23 PM..

Old 07-28-2015, 03:25 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Oh my God. Can't believe all the effing whining in this thread.
Actually, my concern isn't for me, but for my kids. I have a girl and two boys. I see a girl bias on TV in kid's shows and it's pretty annoying. I need to search hard for boy empowerment shows beyond fighting shows, but girl empowerment shows are pretty easy to find. I just want both my boys and girl to grow up in a fair world. We try to fix one bias (girls) and we begin marginalizing boys. Looking at education trends, it is my boys I worry most about. Our workforce now almost requires a higher education degree and boys are more likely not to get this, unlike in the past. So, while it may appear to be whining, it is a real issue.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:28 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,058 times
Quote:
yes because there is a lack of affordable childcare, plus they are the ones that work around a family, many men do not give up their careers even if as you are saying there is equal pay for men and women in the same roles and if you don't have family to help out then you have no choice but to leave. I'm not sure its choice with a lot as also annual leave here is pretty poor so again how do you cover school holidays(we get 3 months off here in the summer), rather necessity.

If maternity pay were better here then they maybe wouldn't leave as could have longer off and return when their child is that little bit older (before you jump down on this I mean a year -not on full pay obviously) The US is miles behind on this compared to most of the rest of the western world. 6 weeks off if you are lucky. Plus sometimes little flexible working even if it is possible.

I did see you citations but I also know for a fact I and many other female friends have earnt lower than other men doing the same if not a better job in some areas and this is not just one job sector.

A lot of women do not chose to do low paid work, they have to sacrifice their job to raise a family unless you are a woman who never has children or as you say are unmarried. Womens employment rights are also not always equal but like I said I do agree with the point on work place accidents.

When I had my family even though I waited(until I was 30) I left as a stand in supervisor and came back as just a regular helpdesk operator again after my manager trying to block my flexible hours return to work(HR stepped in and reminded him of the law!). All calls were logged on the helpdesk and I did as much if not more work than those working full time . I was in charge of a work colleague who worked full time yet spent most of this either sorting his son out when he got in trouble with the police or his day to day stuff for his wife. He was paid far more than I was even though he did a lesser job and if the new stand in supervisor was off I was expected to step in and never got my original role back. Thus limiting my earning power and promotion prospects.

My sister also had a similar incident when she left and then wanted to return Full time from maternity leave, only threatened court action stopped this happening and in the end she took redundancy knowing she had another job lined up as they made her life hell when she did return as the law would have favoured her. Do many men go through this? I think not?
Women who leave the workplace largely want to leave the workplace. Maternity pay? Lol. No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events