Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 03:19 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,411,058 times

Advertisements

A) Dupe

B) On my property? You bet. Not on my property? No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 03:21 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,861,175 times
Outside, no expectation of privacy, inside a home is private, outside, not so much. Now that being said, if that was my daughter I would not only shoot down the drone, but find the owner and beat him.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:23 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:

The police eventually arrived and Merideth was charged with first-degree
criminal mischief and first-degree wanton endangerment, both related to his
discharge of the firearm. The 47-year-old Merideth is confident that the charges
will be reduced or thrown out entirely once his trial date arrives.

Update 11:31am, Aug. 1: Following the original news
story, the drone pilot has come forward with what he claims is the flight data
of the trip that ended in disaster. Speaking with Kentucky's WDRB, the drone's operator,
David Boggs, has provided a video record of the drone's movements on the date of
the incident, appearing to show that the vehicle was over 200 feet in the air at
the time it was shot down. Boggs also claims that he was flying his drone in the
area to film a friend's home, and that his trip over Merideth's property had
nothing to do with his daughter being outside.
It's already been established by law that property owners do not own the airspace above their property beyond a quite shallow altitude. I'm pretty sure 200 feet is above that limit. And it's also pretty well established in most communities that discharging firearms within the city limits in other than authorized defense of life and limb is illegal.

There is likely a need for more regulation and legislation for drone operation, and that's being worked out, but I doubt the courts are going to permit shooting down drones willy-nilly.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:27 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,761,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
The guy did what he had to do to protect his family …

If the "drone" had been a home-invading human predator, no jury would convict him …
So SCREW the machine and the people who were operating it …
Except it wasn't a "home-invading human predator," it was a camera, and there are already laws regarding privacy and cameras. If you saw someone training a telephoto lens on your daughter from atop a neighbor's roof, you would not be allowed to shoot him. If someone flew overhead in a Cessna and you saw him pointing a camera, you would not be allowed to shoot him. Privacy laws do not open up grounds for use of firearms.

Quote:
A person's home is her/his castle … It's common law ...
Castle Doctrine is not common law, it's state law...and not in all states.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:00 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
This topic and incident was covered to death.

Man Shoots Down Drone Peeping in Daughter's Room - Gets Arrested for it.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:01 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
No reason to start a new thread about this.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...-appeared.html

Old 09-29-2015, 04:01 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,591,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Outside, no expectation of privacy, inside a home is private, outside, not so much. Now that being said, if that was my daughter I would not only shoot down the drone, but find the owner and beat him.
Deliberate invasion of privacy is illegal ("peeping tom," etc., and all that …) ...

Old 09-29-2015, 04:03 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard
The guy did what he had to do to protect his family …
I totally agree!!!!

Those drones are spying pieces of trash!

Old 09-29-2015, 04:10 PM

2,526 posts, read 1,591,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Except it wasn't a "home-invading human predator," it was a camera, and there are already laws regarding privacy and cameras. If you saw someone training a telephoto lens on your daughter from atop a neighbor's roof, you would not be allowed to shoot him. If someone flew overhead in a Cessna and you saw him pointing a camera, you would not be allowed to shoot him. Privacy laws do not open up grounds for use of firearms.

Castle Doctrine is not common law, it's state law...and not in all states.
Yes … "A person's home is her/his castle" is enshrined in "common law" (as distinct from statute law) just about everywhere … It's even in the Bible …

And "sentencing guidelines" generally provide for an upward departure when/if a crime is committed in the presumed safety/security/privacy of one's home …

Somebody staring at and taking photos of your teenage bikini-clad daughter on a public beach is permitted, but a creep deliberately peering at her and taking photos over the backyard fence by any means, technical or not is a different question …

As to court room legalities, yes that is *dicey* but again if I were on the jury, I would vote to acquit the daughter defender … (Of course I happen to be the dad of three daughters and the grandpa of several granddaughters …)

Old 09-29-2015, 04:11 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times
" Would you shoot down a drone that appeared to be spying on your teenage daughter? "

First, I'd extend the leaf net and see if I couldn't grab it. That way, I could sell it on Craig's List.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events