Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 03:19 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The executive committee of the Boy Scouts of America has unanimously approved a resolution that would end the organization's blanket ban on gay adult leaders and let individual scout units set their own policy on the long-divisive issue.

In a statement Monday, the BSA said the resolution was approved by the 17-member executive committee on Friday, and would become official policy if ratified by the organization's 80-member National Executive Board at a meeting on July 27.
Boy Scouts executive committee OKs ending ban on gay leaders - StarTribune.com

As the second paragraph notes, the full board still has to approve this change, but given that the committee's vote was 17-0 it seems unlikely that the board won't go along.

Not surprisingly, the usual suspects won't like it.

Quote:
Several denominations that sponsor large numbers of Scout units — including the Roman Catholic Church and the Southern Baptist Convention — have been apprehensive about ending the ban on gay adults.
Such organizations have had to be dragged into the future time after time.

Some might say that it's past time that the BSA do this, and I would not disagree with that sentiment. Nonetheless, when a group does the right thing - regardless of the fact that their motive may not be pure as we'd hope and that they may not exactly be enthusiastic about it - I believe it is usually the best policy to applaud such moves and embrace them.

Which I do!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 03:24 PM

1,136 posts, read 923,894 times
lol i love how we constantly repost between the politics section and the current events section

Old 07-13-2015, 03:46 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
Well, the Catholic Church can create their own Boy Scout like organization if they don't like this change, and I am sure what they fear will happen right there in their own organization, if history is any guide.

Old 07-13-2015, 04:24 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Whoa! Did you see the photo on that site? It looks almoist like Hitler's brown shirts. If you angle the arm salute a little you have a nazi salute.

Good for them though for letting gay boys and leaders join.

Old 07-14-2015, 05:11 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,287 times
I have NO problem with gay scout leaders
I DO have a problem with pedophile scout leaders
the two are NOT the same...NOT NOT NOT

I don't care what rules are or aren't in place, if my young son is involved in organizations such as this, I AM INVOLVED too,,,I go on campouts, I go to meetings, I become a scout leader...that's what my dad did...no one in my troop than I am aware of was ever abused or whatever...

Old 07-27-2015, 06:16 PM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Boy Scout board approves end to blanket ban on gay adults

Old 07-28-2015, 07:24 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Perhaps this can result in some more bridges rebuilt within our society.
Quote:
The Rev. Peter Morales, president of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA), issued the following statement reacting to the Boy Scouts of America’s (BSA) recent policy change:

“I applaud the Boy Scouts of America for amending its adult leadership standards policy to include gay scout leaders. The development of a more inclusive BSA will not only strengthen it as an organization, but will benefit all boys and young men who look to scouting for guidance.

As a faith community, Unitarian Universalists have spoken out in support of full inclusion for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and ***** people for many years. This position, grounded in our religious convictions, has unfortunately put us into conflict with the BSA. Despite this conflict, the UUA has always acknowledged the many benefits that scouting offers to boys and young men. In fact, it is the recognition of these many benefits that was part of our motivation in calling for a more inclusive BSA.

Given the BSA’s recent policy change, I look forward to initiating a dialogue between our two organizations in order to re-establish right relations. Together, we can create a welcoming community for all UU boys and young men who want to participate in scouting.”
https://www.uua.org/news/press-relea...-policy-change

Old 07-28-2015, 09:03 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
The Boy Scouts of America on Monday ended its nationwide ban on openly gay adult leaders. But despite a compromise allowing conservative church-sponsored units to pick their own volunteer leaders, the Mormon church, the country’s largest sponsor of Scout units, said it might leave the organization.
Quote:
Mormons use the Boy Scouts as their main nonreligious activity for boys, and the Cub Scout and Boy Scout units they sponsor accounted for 17 percent of all youths in Scouting in 2013, the last year for which data have been published.
Boy Scouts OK gay leaders; Mormon church may quit | The Seattle Times

How sad and pathetic - but not surprising - that a religious organization is considering prioritizing discrimination over sponsoring youth activity.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:38 AM

381 posts, read 277,564 times
Are the scouts going to tell parents if the leaders are gay?.I would sure as hell want to know before i sent my kids there.Parents need to know so we can make an informed choice.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:40 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Wouldn't it defeat the purpose of the policy change if the policy explicitly facilitated active bigotry against gay leaders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events