Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 07:53 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
And please tell me what action led to the demise of this man? Did the cop jump out of his car gun drawn and yelling in an aggressive manor to the driver? ....Or was he courteous and spoke with a calm demeanor to the driver when asked to provide a drivers license? The situation escalated once the driver refused to comply and attempted to flee. Bad decision were made by both the officer and the driver, but one is alive today while one isnt.
Exactly. Read what you wrote again.

There are very few actions that result in capital punishment in the criminal justice system. At least there used to be.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:53 AM

2,340 posts, read 4,628,579 times
Again, the police are the professionals. They are supposed to be trained to deal with the public and manage situations where folks are difficult or non compliant without killing them in 1.5 seconds. I'm amazed that folks are making excuses for the officer who apparently knew he was wrong. He knew enough to lie about the events in the official police report in an attempt to justify the shooting.

I figure if he knew he was wrong, that is good enough for me.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:06 AM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
No he did not shoot her but at the same time she did not attempt to start her vehicle and drive off. Who knows what may have happened had she done that.

I'm not condoning this officers actions. I've stated twice already that he was in the wrong for firing his weapon. All I'm trying to say is, in today's times where there's lots of tension between officers and the black community, why escalate a rather simple traffic stop by attempting to drive off while being questioned by an officer for something a minor as a missing front plate and not having a drivers license on hand? Its just stupid in my opinion.

I'm a minority of latin decent. I have been pulled over many times for a variety of reasons. I've always complied and was courteous and have received the same treatment from each and every officer. Why would I want to give a person with a license to shoot/kill a reason to do just that?
I agree with you that It's better to comply, but in this case I'm not so sure the cop wouldn't have shot him outside the vehicle. He was way too quick to shoot. There is something wrong with that guy.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:11 AM

284 posts, read 491,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
I saw the video. I think the officer overreacted when the guy tried to take off, but it was questionable, so you have to side with the officer on this one.
"It was questionable, so you HAVE TO SIDE WITH THE OFFICER"- no I don't!

Old 07-30-2015, 08:14 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
I'm fairly certain that when cops are being trained, nobody tells them that if they stop someone for a driving violation and the driver isn't cooperating or starts to drive away, to shoot them.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:18 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,043,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac1 View Post
I saw the video. I think the officer overreacted when the guy tried to take off, but it was questionable, so you have to side with the officer on this one.
Yep...looks like the DA is going to side with the Cop.

• Prosecutor saw the Tape....and said "I've been doing this for over 30 years. This is the most asinine act I've ever seen a police officer make -- totally unwarranted..."
  • Cop pulled the Gun First, then aim it at Victims HEAD.
  • Perhaps when victim saw the gun pointing at his head, he got scared (geewiz---i wonder why he would get scared).
  • At that point, he started car----and then got a BULLET PUT INTO HIS BRAIN.
  • Maybe Victim was able to drive 25yards when he gave up THE GHOST.
  • IF the DA or PD tries to spin this one....(pretty tough considering the footage)...they will burn that city to the GROUND.

Cops should ONLY PULL A GUN...when they feel their life is in Danger---YES OR NO?

Old 07-30-2015, 08:21 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
And the fact that when he fires his gun he lands on his behind tells me Barney Fife wasn't quite ready to be out on the street.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:34 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
I find it interesting that this was a case that resulted in murder charges. I didn't have much of a problem with Michael Brown getting shot, and this case definitely seems like it has some gray areas. But cases like Tamir Rice and that guy who was gunned down in a Wal-Mart for basically just holding an air rifle haven't really gone anywhere. Both of those people were basically summarily executed. In the case of Tamir Rice, it was by a cop that had already been found unfit for duty by another municipality.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:38 AM

13,410 posts, read 9,941,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm fairly certain that when cops are being trained, nobody tells them that if they stop someone for a driving violation and the driver isn't cooperating or starts to drive away, to shoot them.
It seems to me that traffic stops are no longer just about the traffic violation but have become a vehicle (no pun intended) to catch people in the act of something, anything.

This puts way too much pressure on all parties. The cops to pull of some heroic capture of a deadly menace and the citizen to be defensive and fear overreach.

It puts cops lives in danger and makes them more aggressive. It makes the perpetrators more aggressive and puts the general public in danger when they take of and chases ensue or gun battles erupt. Traffic cops should be traffic cops and leave the investigating to the detectives and others trained to do it. Hopefully with minimal loss of innocent life and due process being the end objective.

Now, not only is the driver dead, and his family ruined, but the cop's life is over, his family is devastated, and the two cops with him who allegedly lied to cover up the truth here are also in serious trouble and their lives ruined.

I think there needs to be a serious overhaul of the traffic stop and its purpose.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:44 AM

251 posts, read 282,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Now, not only is the driver dead, and his family ruined, but the cop's life is over, his family is devastated, and the two cops with him who allegedly lied to cover up the truth here are also in serious trouble and their lives ruined.

I think there needs to be a serious overhaul of the traffic stop and its purpose.
Agreed on your point about traffic stops. But read that top paragraph again. You're giving sympathy to the cop when he literally murdered a man. I highly doubt you'd be so compassionate and worried that "his life was over" if he wasn't a police officer. A uniform doesn't change the fact that he's a murderer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events