Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 11:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Why did the cop take off running? Where was he running to?
I dunno maybe he thought he missed and wanted to get another shot off?

Old 07-29-2015, 11:52 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,184,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Officer Tensing fatally shot DuBose, 43, during a July 19 traffic stop over an alleged missing license tag. The officer has said he was forced to fire his weapon after almost being run over. Tensing, 25, surrendered to authorities shortly after news of the indictment broke, and he is expected to be arraigned on Thursday. He has been fired from his job.

Tensing's attorney told reporters that he believes the officer feared for his life and was dragged by DuBose's car. "The guy jams the keys in the ignition," Stew Mathews told CNN. "Turns the car on, jams it in the drive and mashes the accelerator. He wasn't slowly pulling away. (Tensing) feared for his life. He thought he was going to be sucked under the car that was pulling away from him. He thought he was going to get sucked under and killed."

That account was contradicted by Deters, the prosecutor, who said that Tensing was not dragged.
"This just does not happen in the United States. People don't get shot for a traffic stop unless they are violent towards the police officer, and he (DuBose) wasn't," Deters said. "He was simply slowly rolling away. That's all he did."

What Tensing claims is a bald-faced lie. I watched the video.

1) Tensing was in no danger of being dragged, he was well out of the way, and the car never reached over about 10 mph, tops.

2) There were no orders of "get out of the car" or anything like that. Straight to deadly force.

3) Even if he was in danger of being dragged, deadly force is grossly unacceptable. There is nothing in this video that even remotely suggests Tensing should have fired.

Thank goodness for body cameras. In the past, Tensing may have had a chance to get away with murder. If the jury members trying him have half a brain, this guy's guilty as sin. This officer is only 25. Hopefully, he goes to prison for the rest of his life, or at least a VERY long time.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:54 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
More like Cliff Claven - or the female version of.

Just calling out a stupid post when I see one. That was a stupid post.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:05 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Well, that's not exactly what he said, either. What he said was this (exactly):

So what he's saying is why do police departments across the country hire ex military, ie morons? He goes on to imply that they should hire people with college degrees - which also implies that ex military personnel don't generally have a college degree.

Actually, as I pointed out, 70 percent of enlisted personnel have at least some college or a college degree. 95 percent of military officers have college degrees. So...it's entirely possible - in fact, probable - that if a company or police department hires ex military, they are hiring someone who has at the very least, some college under their belt, and very likely at least one college degree.

Just to clarify.

But wait - there's more!

He then went on to say:

So yeah - he pretty much threw all cops currently serving straight to the bottom of the barrel.
I will concede your last point. In rereading what he said about the bottom of the barrel...that's too much.

In regard to the earlier point, however, I sort of know how he feels. My school was in the Washington, D.C. area. As a result, a lot of ex-military men applied for teaching positions. After hiring several, I found that they were either just terrible and couldn't relate to teenagers at all and thought that students would simply march to their orders -- or -- they were great and could differentiate between what was in the military and what was not on the outside.

So in the early part of the post, my interpretation is that you are over-reaching, while in the later part of the post you are pretty much correct.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In regard to the earlier point, however, I sort of know how he feels. My school was in the Washington, D.C. area. As a result, a lot of ex-military men applied for teaching positions. After hiring several, I found that they were either just terrible and couldn't relate to teenagers at all and thought that students would simply march to their orders -- or -- they were great and could differentiate between what was in the military and what was not on the outside.

So in the early part of the post, my interpretation is that you are over-reaching, while in the later part of the post you are pretty much correct.
Sorry, but I think that you are the one reading into that person's comments, not me. You're trying hard not to see that post as a slam against veterans in general. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

His implication was that military personnel are uneducated morons. I was glad for the opportunity to show that military personnel in general are more educated than that particular poster realized.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:03 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,755 times
When did a crime stop being simply a crime? Or wasn't that what black people and their supporters kept telling us when everytime a black person was identified as a suspect in an incident? 'Why do we have to bring race into it? Just treat it as a crime and not care about the color of the perpetrator.' They told us. Yet here they are doing the EXACT SAME THING and I'm so damn SICK of the media as well as black people blowing up every single incident and using it as an excuse to rile people up.

Why is it now that everytime we hear of a situation like this its ALWAYS a WHITE POLICE OFFICER shoots an UNARMED BLACK PERSON, instead of a police officer shooting an unarmed person?? And then we have to hear for days from the victim's family about how racist and biased police are and how their loved one was a good person even if like 90% of the time you find out later that they weren't the angel that their family made them out to be. And lets not forget about the cries for 'justice' that will be sure to follow after every incident when all they want is instant punishment and revenge for their loss even before a proper investigation has ever been launched or completed.

I really wish the media as well as many black people would stop trying to fan the race flames and actually try to bring people together rather than making things worse. However if they insist on continuing to do this where every incident involving a white person or a white cop needs to be identified as white person wrongfully doing harm to a black person, then lets go all the way and do the reverse as well. Namely identifying ALL the black perpetrators who have done harm to all the non-black victims out there. But of course that will NEVER happen and ignorant people will still continue to believe that blacks are victim on a grand scale in this country and elsewhere. >_>

Old 07-30-2015, 01:37 AM

241 posts, read 221,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
I'm so damn SICK of the media as well as black people blowing up every single incident and using it as an excuse to rile people up.

Why is it now that everytime we hear of a situation like this its ALWAYS a WHITE POLICE OFFICER shoots an UNARMED BLACK PERSON, instead of a police officer shooting an unarmed person?? And then we have to hear for days from the victim's family about how racist and biased police are and how their loved one was a good person even if like 90% of the time you find out later that they weren't the angel that their family made them out to be.
Because facts and statistics uniformly point towards racial injustice, and racial police biased.

Black Americans killed by police are twice as likely to be unarmed as whites. - Huffington Post

68 of 102 Black people killed last year in incidents with law enforcement officers were not carrying weapons.

An analysis of public records, local news reports and Guardian reporting found that 32% of black people killed by police in 2015 were unarmed, as were 25% of Hispanic and Latino people, compared with 15% of white people killed.

Law enforcement kills African Americans at 2.8 times the rate of white non-Latinos, and 4.3 times the rate of Asians. Latinos are victimized by police killings at a level 30 percent above average and 1.9 times the rate of White, non-Latinos.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:33 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMDWRECK View Post
Because facts and statistics uniformly point towards racial injustice, and racial police biased.

Black Americans killed by police are twice as likely to be unarmed as whites. - Huffington Post

68 of 102 Black people killed last year in incidents with law enforcement officers were not carrying weapons.

An analysis of public records, local news reports and Guardian reporting found that 32% of black people killed by police in 2015 were unarmed, as were 25% of Hispanic and Latino people, compared with 15% of white people killed.

Law enforcement kills African Americans at 2.8 times the rate of white non-Latinos, and 4.3 times the rate of Asians. Latinos are victimized by police killings at a level 30 percent above average and 1.9 times the rate of White, non-Latinos.
What is the racial breakdown for incidents of being hostile and/or acting crazy when confronted by a police officer?

Old 07-30-2015, 03:16 AM

118 posts, read 126,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just so you know, 70 percent of enlisted personnel have some college, an associate's degree, a bachelor's degree, or higher. 95 percent of officers have at least a bachelor's degree.

http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil...dpersonnel.pdf
They ex-military that become cops don't have college degrees. Most ex-military with 4-year college degrees go into better paying jobs that police work.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:59 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
Why is it now that everytime we hear of a situation like this its ALWAYS a WHITE POLICE OFFICER shoots an UNARMED BLACK PERSON,
Because when was the last time you heard of a black cop shooting a white person? Yes, I know it happens, but it's almost a rare occurrence. If there was a mass epidemic of black cops shooting white people, white people would be way more up in arms.

You have to be blind to the facts not to see that race is a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events