Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 01:56 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You've once again, done a nice job covering the basics. I can only add that the Supreme Court has struck down laws requiring the possession of identification in Kolender v. Lawson 461 U.S. 352 (1983) where the court overturned a California statute that required the presentation of "credible and reliable" identification as being overly vague as to what constituted "credible and reliable." Under the decision in Hibel vs Sixth Judicial District of Nevada: "Any person so detained [see Terry Stop ] shall identify himself, but may not be compelled to answer any other inquiry of any peace officer.”

Old 08-01-2015, 01:56 PM

8,204 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

Why does a College have to have their own Police dept and not just a security detail on campus.
A lot of universities have their own police departments.

Old 08-01-2015, 01:57 PM

21,880 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Some states don't even issue front license plates. I'm in one of them. I had no idea a cop could blow my head off for it.
Yes, your head can be blown off for not having a front tag in a state that doesn't require one. This thread is beyond ridiculous.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:06 PM

1,069 posts, read 711,534 times
Quote:
Some states don't even issue front license plates. I'm in one of them. I had no idea a cop could blow my head off for it.
he didnt get his head blown off for that Forrest Gump, he got his head blown off for all the other things he didnt do right

Old 08-01-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post

Pay attention to the position of the camera relative to the roof of the car and then how much lower it is when the shot was fired, also note the location of the parked car and the pothole and how much closer the officer is to it when he gets up.

I have already seen this video dozens of times on TV, not rocket science to figure out.
Yes, I see it. Officer was definitely dragged. I'd think the 'fleeing felon' rule applies here though. The perp would've faced charges for dragging the officer after apprehension.

If the officer has decent defense representing him he shouldn't do much time if any. His career in law enforcement is likely toast.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
This is definitely a case of overkill and I hope the police officer has the book thrown at him. I don't think he'll have too easy a time of it in jail.

I don't see why he felt he had to freaking shoot the guy.
The officer definitely didn't need to shoot the guy. And he'll have the book thrown at him. Unfortunately, they tend to give officers a lot of leniency when they do things like this. I'd be very surprised if he spends any time at all in prison.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,943,455 times
Quote:
Big brain award. If you aren't required to have a front license plate then no one stops you in the first place.

It is legal to smoke pot in Colorado. Do you think the people in Colorado worry about getting stopped because they smoke pot?

Sometimes the lack of any critical thinking around here is amazing.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:34 PM

932 posts, read 898,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, I'm a middle aged, middle class white woman and it's apparent to me that while this guy may not have been the sharpest tool in the barn, nothing he did warranted being shot and killed.

I don't know what that cop's particular problem was or why he was so spring loaded but he overreacted for some reason and now a man is dead. The murder charge is appropriate and I hope he is convicted.
Thank you for your honest opinon

Old 08-01-2015, 02:48 PM

932 posts, read 898,566 times
Quote:
If the officer has decent defense representing him he shouldn't do much time if any. His career in law enforcement is likely toast.
He was not dragged, even his own partner that was there even said so on paper that he was not dragged so stop it

and yes an ID is required while driving, not driving then no id is required

Last edited by key2success; 08-01-2015 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
I totally agree, that Tensing was being civil and professional and yes the driver gave totally bs answers regarding his possession of a driver's license. I agree 100%.'

Yes the driver did escalate the encounter, but you are absolutely wrong that the driver escalated the encounter to the point that it did. That point was reached when officer Tensing drew his weapon with his right hand, and grab the victims throat with his left, then firing his weapon. At all times Tensing's arms are free and clear, Tensing was never being dragged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhV2DDybdpI
Ok, that one made better sense. There was no reason for it to escalate to shooting either way. There were other nonlethal ways to deal with it. The driver was already dead likely when the car started going forward. Even if it happened the way the officer said, there was still no reason to use lethal force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events