U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 09:40 AM

20,863 posts, read 10,096,062 times

Advertisements

This is a video of one bad cop and two good cops. The guy they're arresting is no angel. He's been in trouble before, isn't cooperating, and has a real mouth on him. But pay attention to how the cops in the squad car react to his goading them. They don't. They calmly do their job. They speak to him without any emotion, are respectful and behave in a professional manner. That's what good cops do. They keep their cool and do their job the way it should be done without letting the person they're dealing with get to them.

The idiot cop takes an elbow to the head as it's pressed against the hood of the squad car.

The initial story and video can be found here. The sound kicks in after 30 some seconds.

The follow up on what's happening with the bad cop (charged with assault) can be found here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:50 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,894,162 times
Where are the good cops? I see no good cops there. I see nothing but government thugs there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC66zJxMpEU

Old 07-30-2015, 11:57 PM

10,071 posts, read 4,687,862 times
how is someone doing their job a "good" person?

is your dentist a "good" one because they don't break your teeth?
Is your doctor a "good" one because they don't kill you while examining you?
is your teacher "good" because they didn't molest you?

I didn't see any of the cops going out of their way to be "good" people, they were competent cops though...

Old 07-31-2015, 12:34 AM

557 posts, read 571,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Where are the good cops? I see no good cops there. I see nothing but government thugs there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC66zJxMpEU

I see a bunch of the same thugs he murdered 40 people in Baltimore last month

Old 07-31-2015, 12:53 AM

9,842 posts, read 5,503,501 times
How to get to that ability, from one ex cop's opinion (mine), is iffy.

Long ago (no mace, no tasers, no pepper spray, just nightsticks, some PR24's, hand to hand, and maybe guns (if the balloon went up)), had an incident in military police in the Navy that lasted all day (I do believe it was a Friday the 13th) that involved a lot of verbal abuse and a moderate amount of fisticuffs in very brief bursts. Incident story short, a female service member decide she wasn't going to obey orders anymore. I, as the Provost Marshal, was told by the base XO to have my police patrol search her room to ensure she couldn't harm himself while he brought in the psychiatrist to evaluate her to be sent to the brig. When my police patrol started searching, the woman went violent about it being private property and I immediately responded by putting a half nelson on her. In the blink of an eye, I could have done a judo throw on her, probably landing on her and potentially dislocating her arm, maybe even breaking ribs, but I decided not to.

Later, we had her confined to a corner with her hurling the usual verbal insults at us. The psychiatrist, a full bird Captain, arrived with the XO, and he took her into one room to talk with her, while the XO, I, and the police patrol moved to another.

The XO complimented us on our resolve to such insults, saying he would probably have hauled off and slugged her. I commented, in a very Spock like tone, that he would find his time as a Plebe, very useful in situations like this. The psychiatrist cleared the service member for the district brig and off she went......and the XO ordered me home. I don't think he appreciated my Spock like response. Looking back, I suspect I had fallen into a very controlled mental state that enabled me to operate without falling into a rage, even if I took serious hits.....but since I didn't take such hits, that part of it is just theory.

Okay, several things here. When I was a Plebe/Fish, I was put at attention daily against a wall, people yelling in my face, and it was probably there that I developed a way to handle verbal abuse, of not pulling back and slugging this or that person. By then, I had 8-10 years of martial arts training and probably could have quite easily done so, but didn't. So this was the way I learned verbal assault defence. I suppose there may be other ways but the thing is, "ARE WE WILLING TO DO THIS TO PEOPLE, TO PAY THAT COST, to teach them how to handle verbal assaults?".

One of the things I trained myself to do in the Navy was the ability to deliver a swift, quick, devastating punch at short range. It came out of a quarterdeck attack scenario: "Enemy agents disguised as reporting sailors arrive at the ship at night. When they reach into their sea bags for their orders, they pull guns, kill the quarterdeck watch, assume their places, and allow more agents on board." So I trained my quarterdeck watch that for reporting sailors, we have them in a line, facing me the officer. The petty officer with the pistol is off on one greater than 135 visual angle to them and the messenger is at the alarm controls. A and B. A: Divide their attention, who is their primary target? Probably the person on watch with the gun. Therefore, at short range, I'm the ace in the hole, murderous in hand to hand. B: If the reporting sailors do anything but what I say, things escalate very quickly through verbal order, a "tap" to say eyes front, a punch to topple the line, to a face strike.

When I was on ship, I was more intelligence, but perhaps this attitude helped me get the provost marshal job....or not. The thing is that I've read some of the armchair quarterbacking about the campus cop shooting (haven't bothered with the video). Myself, by conditioning, by training, I might not have reached for a pistol but might have instead delivered a head punch. So, two things. A: Are we willing to train, to pay for what it takes to bring people up to that level of hand to hand training, fully realizing that hand to hand is not nice, that it can break bones, put people into the hospital, and might even kill someone? B: As said, when I trained to be the murderous ace in the hole, I was more involved with security and not police work. Where do we want to divide the line? Do we want people on the streets who are there, if in part, for security? Or, do we expect them all to be Andy Taylor's? (Mind you, there is nothing wrong with Andy Taylor but that works best when everyone around him is like him, or visa versa)

"Want to see how fast I can put you in the sick bay?". I'll admit that I do or did at least take a certain amount of pride in my hand to hand ability. That in a blink of an eye, sweep out the feet of someone of moderate size to put their face into the concrete, take the fight out of them. It may have even been my willingness to go that far in a blink that stopped fights. Rumor had it that there was going to be a fight between a diver and a huge boatswain's mate at the enlisted bar one night. Hearing this, I was trying to figure out how to handle this if they didn't obey orders to stand down and it came down to throwing coffee (since most bars have a pot of coffee going) in the face of the biggest and taking him out from there. FORTUNATELY for me, the fight never came about and who knows, maybe the word got out that the Lieutenant (me) does not fight nice. In fact, the diver came to me in the following days and told me, "Hey, Lieutenant, if you tell me not to fight, I won't fight.".

Basic point is it's in a blink of an eye. One of the things I now, as a civilian, try to train myself is to be able to reach my max energy before "he" does, overwhelm him, and do it while still maintaining control. Okay, that's personal security but the question is will the public support a rapid escalation by an officer to quash a situation in seconds or will they demand that things must proceed slowly through stages? Secondly, if it does come to fisticuffs, if the officer does have to fight and, say, rapidly quash the situation, will the public accept it.......or endlessly armchair quarterback (which these days in electronic media is not so harmless) saying he should have done something different?

So, four things.

A: What does the public want in police?

B: Are they willing to pay, in taxes, to get the kind of officer they want?

C: Are they willing to pay, in increased surveillance such as helicopters (ie, one helicopter can equal, in ways, so many men on the street), if part of their answer is a more "sophisticated" officer..........because that will probably mean fewer officers on the dollar.

D: Will they support their police or not? If not, well, IMHO, then don't be surprise at who one gets to do the job.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 07-31-2015 at 01:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events