Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:05 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
PP is NOT selling parts.
They are facilitating transfer from the location where the abortion occurred to wherever the research will take place.

Again, exactly the same as what occurs with cadavers, etc.

"Donating for a fee". Is that better?

Do you have info on how much money they receive per part? or per specimen?

This has all been very eye opening. I wonder if people will think twice the next time they are asked if they'd like to be an organ donor. It never occurred to me that people (the middlemen) would be haggling over fees for those parts in those instances. I find it to be rather disturbing. Everyone's got to get their cut, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 09:38 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post

This has all been very eye opening. I wonder if people will think twice the next time they are asked if they'd like to be an organ donor. It never occurred to me that people (the middlemen) would be haggling over fees for those parts in those instances. I find it to be rather disturbing. Everyone's got to get their cut, I guess.
Do you mean how much it might cost to properly package and transport specimens from one location to another?
As I recall from the video, those costs ranged from $30-$100. A rather nominal fee IMHO.

I am an organ donor and this hasn't made me reconsider my decision at all.
Not sure why it would.
The people that fly the medivac helicopters that transport the organs from one hospital to another should get paid for their work, should they not?
The doctors that remove and then transplant the organs as well, yes?

Why would anyone believe that there wouldn't be costs associated with these procedures?

Rather mind-boggling really.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:39 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,630,968 times
Quote:

Do you feel that these middlemen ought to be providing this service at their own expense?

Old 08-03-2015, 12:04 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,022,658 times
I for one am very glad that the opportunity has been created for medical advancements performed with the consent of the donors and have NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER with the recovery of the associated costs, as is the case with Planned Parenthood.

Those who continue to call this a "sale" are either too dim to understand cost recovery or deliberately misrepresenting what is occurring to advance an agenda.

We get it, you don't like abortion. Thankfully that ship has sailed. When even the Catholic Church doesn't object to this, I'd check your GPS as that "moral high ground" you think you're on is a garden variety grassy knoll.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
I for one am very glad that the opportunity has been created for medical advancements performed with the consent of the donors and have NO ISSUE WHATSOEVER with the recovery of the associated costs, as is the case with Planned Parenthood.

Those who continue to call this a "sale" are either too dim to understand cost recovery or deliberately misrepresenting what is occurring to advance an agenda.

We get it, you don't like abortion. Thankfully that ship has sailed. When even the Catholic Church doesn't object to this, I'd check your GPS as that "moral high ground" you think you're on is a garden variety grassy knoll.

No one "likes" abortion. Some think that it should remain legal (pro-choice) while some want to ban it (pro-life). That said, I don't think that many pro-choice proponents actually "like" abortion, they just believe it should remain legal and as a safe option for women who choose it. I'm pro-choice yet I don't "like" abortion. I've supported Planned Parenthood in the past because I believe in their education and preventative services. What have you done to support them tlvancouver? Check your moral high ground before making assumptions and calling people names such as "dim". The issue regarding the "donating tissue for a fee" has come to light and some people, even those who are pro-choice want to know more. Some think it's fine, some don't, some are still trying to sort the facts out before jumping to conclusions (I fall into the last category). Just as I am pro-choice when it comes to abortion, I am pro-choice when it comes to using medications such as vaccinations which may have been derived from fetal tissue. If you are only for choice in the first instance while opposing choice in the latter, then I'd say that is hypocritical.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:55 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post

You nailed it.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:04 AM

I'm really curious how some can be pro-choice when it comes to abortion but be anti-choice when it comes to people wishing to forgo vaccines for reasons concerning not wanting to be injected with something that was produced in part with aborted fetal cells. Some who are pro-choice for abortion in this thread are anti-choice in terms of allowing exemptions (religious and philosophical) in terms of vaccine mandates for school entry. Why is that? What happened to the mantras, "my body my choice" and "keep your laws off of my body?"

I am firmly pro-choice in both instances.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:08 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,022,658 times
[quote=MissTerri;40704037]I'm really curious how some can be pro-choice when it comes to abortion but be anti-choice when it comes to people wishing to forgo vaccines for reasons concerning not wanting to be injected with something that was produced in part with aborted fetal cells. Some who are pro-choice for abortion in this thread are anti-choice in terms of allowing exemptions (religious and philosophical) in terms of vaccine mandates for school entry. Why is that? What happened to the mantras, "my body my choice" and "keep your laws off of my body?"

I am firmly pro-choice in both instances.[/quote]

Oh, we know, I might suggest "rigidly" instead of firmly

Personally while I am supportive of individual choice, I am realistic enough to know there are limits when it comes to people's desire to expose others to contagious diseases that are entirely preventable. I don't support forcing vaccination, I also don't support forcing a child too ill to be vaccinated to be kept away from school because of selfish anti-vax attitudes.

A parent's choice not to vaccinate doesn't mean a right to expose others. There are limits on EVERY choice we make. I also don't support late term abortions based on "choice" vs medical necessity. I also don't support individual "choice" to bring a loaded gun to school. Tricky things these "rights".

Absurdity results when individuals are incapable of managing grey in decision making. Black and white leads to crazy positions.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:08 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,332 times
Maybe some are pro-abortion because that's better for the collective and pro-mandatory-vax because that's better for the collective.

See? Works out.

Old 08-05-2015, 11:12 AM

[quote=tlvancouver;40704130]
Quote:
I'm really curious how some can be pro-choice when it comes to abortion but be anti-choice when it comes to people wishing to forgo vaccines for reasons concerning not wanting to be injected with something that was produced in part with aborted fetal cells. Some who are pro-choice for abortion in this thread are anti-choice in terms of allowing exemptions (religious and philosophical) in terms of vaccine mandates for school entry. Why is that? What happened to the mantras, "my body my choice" and "keep your laws off of my body?"

I am firmly pro-choice in both instances.[/quote]

Oh, we know, I might suggest "rigidly" instead of firmly

Personally while I am supportive of individual choice, I am realistic enough to know there are limits when it comes to people's desire to expose others to contagious diseases that are entirely preventable. A choice not to vaccinate doesn't mean a right to expose others. There are limits on EVERY choice we make. I also don't support late term abortions based on "choice" vs medical necessity. I also don't support individual "choice" to bring a loaded gun to school. Tricky things these "rights".

Absurdity results when individuals are incapable of managing grey in decision making. Black and white leads to crazy positions.

When you allow choice, that is a recognition of gray area. When you take choice away, you make things very much black and white as you fail to account for individual circumstances. The small number of unvaccinated do not pose enough of a threat to the vaccinated to eliminate choice, especially religious choice for those who are opposed to being injected with a vaccination made in part with aborted fetal tissue. I find it hypocritical to demand choice in one instances and rail against it in the other.

Last edited by MissTerri; 08-05-2015 at 11:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events