Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 06:16 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I am aware that Sanger is dead but what the poster said about the roots of PP was true and another poster called it a conspiracy theory when it's not. Trying to help someone gain a better understanding of their history and understand it better seems relevant. There's no use in pretending that history did not exist. I am someone who highly values the truth.
just about everyone who has a passing interest in the abortion debate, especially anti choice folks love to taut Sanger's racist views. like that somehow is relevant today, or that would change a pro choice mind. what's the point of it otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 06:16 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
People might be surprised to know who shared Sanger's views, too, from Alexander Graham Bell to Winston Churchill to Charles Lindbergh to Francis Crick.

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/the...nt?oid=1330610

"Eugenics seemed to have the answers. During its heyday, it enjoyed broad support across a variety of social and political spectrums: from social reformers and humanitarians to staunch racists, from strict conservatives to progressives, and from academic and medical communities to religious circles. And it had the financial backing of some of the wealthiest capitalists in the country, including the Kellogg, Carnegie, and Harriman family fortunes."
Great article!

And so following the logic here on this thread, i will immediately cease to use banks, ride railroads or eat cornflakes!

*sarcasm*

Old 08-01-2015, 06:19 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
just about everyone who has a passing interest in the abortion debate, especially anti choice folks love to taut Sanger's racist views. like that somehow is relevant today, or that would change a pro choice mind. what's the point of it otherwise?
I first learned about Sanger from a video that I watched about the history of Planned Parenthood which I obtained from the local Planned Parenthood's lending library. Not even Planned Parenthood is trying to hide it. It's history. There is nothing to get defensive about.

The point is to understand history and not believe that that something undesirable was a "conspiracy theory".

Old 08-01-2015, 06:26 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
I first learned about Sanger from a video that I watched about the history of Planned Parenthood which I obtained from the local Planned Parenthood's lending library. Not even Planned Parenthood is trying to hide it. It's history. There is nothing to get defensive about.

The point is to understand history and not believe that that something undesirable was a "conspiracy theory".
not defensive at all. the history of PP really isn't all that relevant. do we need to know about ford's racial views to own one of his cars? it has been my experience people bring up Sanger's views not to bring a historical content into the topic but to disparage PP as a racist organization "setting up in black communities to continue Sanger's work"

Old 08-01-2015, 06:26 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
No, what is effed up is that someone would prefer fetal tissue be discarded in the garbage instead of being used to prevent children from dying of measles, chickenpox, etc.
I agree, Annie.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:30 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
People might be surprised to know who shared Sanger's views, too, from Alexander Graham Bell to Winston Churchill to Charles Lindbergh to Francis Crick.

http://www.indyweek.com/indyweek/the...nt?oid=1330610

"Eugenics seemed to have the answers. During its heyday, it enjoyed broad support across a variety of social and political spectrums: from social reformers and humanitarians to staunch racists, from strict conservatives to progressives, and from academic and medical communities to religious circles. And it had the financial backing of some of the wealthiest capitalists in the country, including the Kellogg, Carnegie, and Harriman family fortunes."

I was about to mention Kellogg - but you beat me to it.

the point is, this was a belief shared by many people this time of great social transition in our country.
The fact that Ms. Sanger held these beliefs, does not discredit Planned Parenthood. She was one of many.

Last edited by sheena12; 08-01-2015 at 06:42 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 07:23 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Fetal tissue used to cultivate vaccines are likely from Planned Parenthood. Is this why PP is not being charged with selling human body parts? What do you think? Is it ethical?

Planned Parenthood: How Ethical Is Fetal Tissue Donation?

They say that the abortion is voluntary so it should be fine but who is to say this is ethical?

"'The reason is that the risk to public health, if one chooses not to vaccinate, outweighs the legitimate concern about the origins of the vaccine,' the center's position statement continued. 'This is especially important for parents, who have a moral obligation to protect the life and health of their children and those around them.'" What Aborted Fetuses Have to Do With Vaccines - ABC News

Is using fetal tissue (for a profit) ethically fine just because it is used in research? For vaccines or medication... Where do we draw the line?
Oy fey. When a woman has an abortion no one has the right to retain any tissue.

Vaccines have protected people from diseases such as Small Pox for a long time; at least until the foolish doctor from the UK suggested that vaccines caused autism. That claim resulted in many women deciding to not vaccinate their children. That decision to not vaccinate children has resulted in a resurgence of diseases that had been previously thought to be eradicated. The anti-vaccine movement has proven that the diseases were not eradicated in North America.

Fetal tissue has nothing to do with the anti-vaccination movement ... at least I can't see any connection.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:28 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
During childbirth women are asked to donate placenta. Perhaps that is the stem cell tissue that you are referencing. During abortion, women are not asked if they would like to donate the fetal tissue to medicine ... at least not that I've heard of.

If this is happening, where is it happening, and what form is used to obtain consent from women undergoing abortion where they approve that the fetal tissue is used for vaccine testing?

Old 08-01-2015, 08:29 PM

37,101 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
During childbirth women are asked to donate placenta. Perhaps that is the stem cell tissue that you are referencing. During abortion, women are not asked if they would like to donate the fetal tissue to medicine ... at least not that I've heard of.

If this is happening, where is it happening, and what form is used to obtain consent from women undergoing abortion where they approve that the fetal tissue is used for vaccine testing?
Planned Parenthood does not deny that they will provide fetal tissue for research purposes. It has nothing to do with vaccines, however. Here is a consent form used by one Planned Parenthood clinic:

http://www.centerformedicalprogress....ue-consent.pdf

Some vaccines use viruses grown in cells descended from cells originally obtained from two abortions, one in 1961 and one in 1965. The cells used are not actually present in the vaccines, only the virus grown in them.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:54 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
Quote:
Sorry for trying to educate you on the history and founder of Planned Parenthood. It seems like you would have preferred to have just continued to believe that any talk of eugenics and Margaret Sanger was a "conspiracy theory". Sorry that our attempt to bring the truth to your attention has appeared to upset you.
And Volkswagen was started by Hitler. They used slave labor in their plants during WWII. By your reasoning, this means Volkswagen today supports racism and genocide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events