Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 05:39 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times

Advertisements

Aw crap. First Dusty now Roddy.

When him and Hogan went at the Cow Palace I came up with the idea that me and my friends should go in kilts. My buddy's mom said that she would make them if we would wear them. We went, and lots of people wanted to talk some smack about our "skirts," but not a one was willing to go outside about it.

Rest in Peace Rodderick Tombs, AKA Rowdy Roddy Piper. We loved you man.

Last edited by cachibatches; 08-01-2015 at 05:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 09:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Roddy was at the start of shooting a new realty type show. My son was part of the film crew shooting the promo a couple of months ago and he was floored at the news of Roddy's death. He said Roddy looked fine, was in the process of moving his family to L.A. to shoot this show and was full of life and a hoot to be around.

We know a couple of pro wrestlers and have sat around on many occasions talking about the beatings they took in the ring including things like broken bones,broken backs,necks,cuts,concussions etc.
I look at it like movie stuntmen without any of the safety equipment to limit injury and even less long term help afterwards.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:27 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Time to watch They Live again... highly underrated and classic Piper. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJC4R1uXDaE

Old 08-02-2015, 09:57 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
The Brain considered Piper a genius.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:32 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
I'm curious as to why the women involved in wrestling who died from drug overdoses decided to get on drugs.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I'm curious as to why the women involved in wrestling who died from drug overdoses decided to get on drugs.
Why does the average crack ho become a crack ho? Same reasons, most likely.

News is also out that Superfly Jimmy Snuka just underwent surgery for stomach cancer.. And the fact that Bobby "The Brain" Heenan is still alive is something of a miracle.. He has battled throat cancer for about the past 15 years or so.

Throat and stomach cancer is also another area where you have a higher incidence in wrestlers than the normal population.. For 2 reasons in my mind.. First off, all those painkillers (prescription and otherwise.. Aspirin is really rough on the stomach) do a number on the stomach, and alcohol and smoking are big causes of throat cancer.. And while smoking might not be out of the ordinary with wrestlers, the drinking stories are things of legend. At least with the old timers.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:08 AM

2,346 posts, read 1,394,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I love They Live.

RIP, Roddy.

RIP Rowdy!
Attached Thumbnails
'Rowdy' Roddy Piper Dead at 61-they_live.jpg  

Old 08-03-2015, 03:20 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
No need to insult the women on the list that someone made earlier in the threat of the people involved in pro wrestling who died prematurely.

Why wasn't the pro wrestling business business cleaned up earlier than it was? Did no one take pro wrestling seriously then? Or was organized crime involved with it?

Old 08-03-2015, 03:48 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
No need to insult the women on the list that someone made earlier in the threat of the people involved in pro wrestling who died prematurely.

Why wasn't the pro wrestling business business cleaned up earlier than it was? Did no one take pro wrestling seriously then? Or was organized crime involved with it?
There was no reason to. Hell, the owner of the company was taking steroids.

But, until the late 90's.. Pro wrestlers were considered independent contractors.. There were no guaranteed contracts or anything.. Even the top draw talents were considered replaceable. So.. What financial liability was against implementing a drug program? Nothing.. Thank Kevin Nash, Scott Hall and WCW for that, and i'm sure every wrestler today does.

Probably similar to why baseball and football didn't have drug programs in place.. Baseball's started in the mid 80's, I believe.. When Dale Berra(?) and others were caught up in the cocaine scandal.. It started because of public outcry.. Wrestling.. Because it was known that it was 'fake', I think, flew under the radar a bit.

It wasn't until 2005, with Eddie Guerrero's death, which was not DIRECTLY drug related (Hardening of the arteries, which certainly could have been caused by previous drug use).. Which was not the last, but was the focal point of a long list of wrestlers who died at a young age, that the spotlight fully turned on WWE and had them start their wellness program. Why? Because public perception of their company demanded it.

Randy Orton, who.. I don't know exactly how to classify wrestlers today, other than to say he is "Main Event Talent", has been suspended twice by the WWE under their wellness program.. He tests positive again, he's fired.. One of the reasons that he was not pushed for a world title for several years.. From 2011-2014, they wouldn't put the belt on him, because they didn't want to have to fire their World Champion.

Word is that Kurt Angle tried to get back into WWE when his TNA contract ran out earlier this year, and WWE didn't want to take him because they feared him dying while on their roster. No indications that I know of that he has a drug problem, but his alcohol (and DUI) problems are pretty well documented.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

News is also out that Superfly Jimmy Snuka just underwent surgery for stomach cancer.. And the fact that Bobby "The Brain" Heenan is still alive is something of a miracle.. He has battled throat cancer for about the past 15 years or so.

Throat and stomach cancer is also another area where you have a higher incidence in wrestlers than the normal population.. For 2 reasons in my mind.. First off, all those painkillers (prescription and otherwise.. Aspirin is really rough on the stomach) do a number on the stomach, and alcohol and smoking are big causes of throat cancer.. And while smoking might not be out of the ordinary with wrestlers, the drinking stories are things of legend. At least with the old timers.
I can attest to that <bold> having been around a couple of "old time" pro wrestlers (48 yrs old or so). Up to last year I was around 'em a lot and man oh man they'd put it away! By the end of the evening they'd be toast, go to sleep for a few hours and get up to get ready to do it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events