Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 02:58 PM

348 posts, read 372,258 times

Advertisements

The use of police attack dogs is immoral and crime that We the People should never have tolerated.

All such attack dogs should be put down, whether they've randomly attacked someone or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 03:09 PM

923 posts, read 1,429,627 times
Doki is the Wildwood agency's first K-9 officer and has been onboard for about a year, Olbek said. The dog has helped with several narcotics busts.
Wildwood police Lt. Gerard Olbek said Doki has been suspended while the incident is investigated.

Another innocent victim of the failed war on drugs

Old 08-03-2015, 04:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I know that at least some of these dogs are trained with aversive techniques such as shock collars. In the wrong hands a shock collar can condition a dog to exhibit aggression without provocation. My guess is the dog owner will get sued and he will have a very hard time getting homeowners insurance unless he can prove that the dog can't get out of his yard.
I agree, I use/used a "shock/vibrate" collar but have a top notch resource that taught me how to use it properly. In the wrong hands it can certainly create one heck of a mess with any dog.

First order of business was trying it out on myself as well as my wife before we'd even think about placing it on our GSD to make sure in the range we were operating in would not hurt her, just annoy her.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Nothing to add that being a "police dog" doesn't always equate to being well trained.
My good friends dad has had a beautiful piece of retirement property in the North Carolina mountains. I believe it is like 20 acres and he has owned it for over 15 years and recently was able to retire on it full time.

Anyways long story short a few years ago a neighbor moved in and keeps 3 "police dogs" right on the property line. They are downright obnoxious. Anytime you pull up to the property, open the front door, go outside, make any movement or noise the dogs go on a ballistic barking spree. All of his complaints fall on dead ears because of the good old boy system and the fact that his neighbor is a deputy as well as his 3 "officer" k9 friends. It's truly ruined his retirement property. Not to say that non police dogs wouldn't do the same thing but still....

Just my irrelevant anecdotal $.02
Bear spray can be your best friend in situations such as you describe. First try steak or chicken though, toss one to each of the dogs daily and they "should" come to see y'all as friends/snack buddies and quit harassing and start loving to see their "new friends". I'd almost bet they've not been trained to only eat from their master's hand so it should work. My GSD will not eat when I'm not around unless she's gone hungry for a few days first. That all came about due to worries about people tossing poisoned meat over fences years ago.

Just never tell the owner.
If that doesn't work swap over to the spray, I'd bet getting nailed a few times at the fence line will get them to stand off a bit from then on.

Gotta go, the baby girl (GSD) is pawing at me to go out and play...

Old 08-03-2015, 06:55 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Put it down... NO more cop dogs.. reminds me of the gestapo
You would rather they have guns than dogs? Dogs can be trained. When they train their guns it means they're aiming right at someone's heart. Have you ever come face to face with a snarling cop? Believe me, you don't want to.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:56 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,383,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
Gerard Olbek said Doki has been suspended while the incident is investigated.
Investigating the incident.

Also known as investigating ways to cover their butts.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:06 PM

5,213 posts, read 3,012,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL9000 View Post
The use of police attack dogs is immoral and crime that We the People should never have tolerated.

All such attack dogs should be put down, whether they've randomly attacked someone or not.
How is it immoral?

Old 08-03-2015, 07:18 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 25 days ago)

27,640 posts, read 16,125,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
You would rather they have guns than dogs? Dogs can be trained. When they train their guns it means they're aiming right at someone's heart. Have you ever come face to face with a snarling cop? Believe me, you don't want to.
Yes. Have you ever come face to face with a snarling dog or seen a dog maul a child? I also was nearly a victim of an unprovoked police german shepard when I was a kid... it bit an object in my pocket and ripped a hole before it was pulled back.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:52 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,235,903 times
So this is a drug dog, not a dog trained in bite work (perhaps, but that is not the primary training/function). A drug dog finds drugs and alerts, that's what they do - they don't attack! We had Belgian Mals that were with EOD in Afghanistan, and they were great at sniffing and alerting on bombs hidden in everything from containers to septic system trucks, but they didn't train bite work either, so...

I am confused as to why the dog would attack. Dogs trained in bite work "corner and hold" unless commanded to attack. The dog's handler was in the area, and the dog did not respond to commands, and had to be pulled off. This is not a dog that can be trusted in K9 work.

I think the dog needs to be put down, the handler needs serious retraining (and probably reassignment to something other than K9 handler), and the city needs to pay for all the girls medical needs, rehab requirements, and additional compensation as some sort of punitive damages IMO.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:32 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Either the handler or the dog should be put down... I'm usually very pro LEO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events