Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:00 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It should have been a nice celebratory dinner at IHOP, but a Hispanic family got a scolding from a customer over their use of Spanish......

The woman interrupts their conversation telling Vasquez: "We speak English in America."

Although Norma Vasquez is from El Salvador, the woman tells her to "go back to Spain." She adds, "Spanish is from Spain. I've been to Spain, so I know."
https://youtu.be/Ej6XXc6Kq90

Latina Mom Berated Publicly for Speaking Spanish in a Restaurant - NBC News

How disgusting. So what if a family is speaking Spanish or Russian or Italian or any other language. America does not have a national language, no one is required to learn/speak English.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:04 PM

17,166 posts, read 15,373,458 times
So... An ignorant woman blurted out foolishness at another woman in an IHOP... Makes the news...

As a 5 year old, walking out of a grocery store in Canada, my mom and I were called "Palettes de Chocolats!!!", or "Chocolate Bars," by a group of skateboarding, smoking teenagers. I asked my mother what that was about, she told me to ignore it, as there will always be ignorant idiots in the world.

I would advise this woman to do the same. Creating a news story for the media will not fix this.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:07 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
It was callous of the other guest to rudely interrupt this family's meal but how is this news? Not so much asking the OP as the NBC outlet that reported this.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:09 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Sounds like something a certain person on here would do.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:11 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,032,965 times
It made the news because people are still worried about the Soviets and the NAZI's.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:18 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Yeah I don't get why this is news either. What's the point here? Shall we try to find out who the rude lady is and get her fired from her job?

I'll admit, telling the woman from El Salvador to "go back to Spain" is pretty funny though.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:26 PM

698 posts, read 587,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Sounds like something a certain person on here would do.
Yes, like pretty much every regular poster in the illegal immigration forum. McCain had it right when he talked about Republicans "firing up the crazies". Even though I blame him for sparking the fire when he selected Palin and let the stupid flow out of her mouth like water. This is the natural course of telling the uneducated right wing rubes that they are the "Real Americans", that the President was born in another country and that anyone that opposes their policies is treasonous scum that hates America.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:30 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
How disgusting. So what if a family is speaking Spanish or Russian or Italian or any other language. America does not have a national language, no one is required to learn/speak English.
Sounds like the same sort of person that has a meltdown because the can of beans they bought yesterday has an ingredients list in both English and Spanish.

Last fall my wife and I were in Decorah, Iowa, taking our daughter on a tour of Luther College. While she toured the campus, we enjoyed exploring the charming little town and on a number of times our paths crossed with members of the local Amish population. When speaking among themselves, we would heard them using the language of their culture - usually called Pennsylvania Dutch, though it's actually a dialect of German. These are not immigrants. They are American citizens by birth, and most of them have American roots going back centuries (the two great waves of Amish to America occurred in the mid-1700s and the early 1800s).

What business is it of mine if they speak their mother tongue among each other? The answer, of course, is none at all.

Now, what is it called when person A demands that person B speak in such a way so as to not offend person A? That's called political correctness, my friends, and that's exceptionally ironic because the crowd that whines the loudest about 'PC this' and 'PC that' is largely the same crowd that gets all bent out of shape over anyone within earshot who dares utter a non-English word.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:38 PM

36,519 posts, read 30,847,571 times
How convenient that it was caught on video and has gone viral. The victims are traumatized, social media offended. Can you say ching ching.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:00 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
I love languages and am always working on learning more.

I was in a waiting room and was in a conversation in Spanish with another person--they were asking how long I'd been studying it, etc. when a man made a nasty comment about "going back where you came from--we speak English here."

I looked at the guy and asked him in English--"are you jealous because you can only speak English, or ashamed that you aren't bright enough to learn another language?"

Apparently I was supposed to have just been shamed--he was shocked that I even spoke to him. He had no answer of course.

Trauma and shame are yours only if you accept them. I would have loved to have been with that family in the restaurant. The video would have turned out very different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events