Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 06:33 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,798,780 times

Advertisements

My brother used to be a meter reader for the gas company. A customer on his route called the office and told the boss to send a white meter reader because he didn't want any n-----s in his house. The boss told him he would either allow the regular guy to read his meter, or his gas would be cut off once the allotted amount of time you could go without a reading had passed. This was in a wealthy area, and the guy was a big shot. He allowed my brother to read the meter. For what it's worth, my brother is about as far from a thug, or hood rat as you can get. He's now in business for himself, and deals with numerous successful white folks who think very highly of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 06:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
If a black customer preferred a black delivery driver... I don't know. I'm on the fence about this. And I'm female so lots of customers don't want to deal with me. Until they do. Then they're glad.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:52 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
The delivery guy didn't make the call to go or not to go.

His manager did.

This woman is displaying the type of deep-seated prejudice that needs to go............
Yeah man, I get it. However, it (deep-seated prejudice) hasn't gone away. Wishing, hoping, voting, nor praying, will make it go away. If she doesn't want Black people at her house, that's her right. I'd rather not go to her house and risk the possible repercussion: shooting, dog attack, etc.

I couldn't care less about her. I do, however, care a lot about me!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:54 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,645 times
Incidents like this Lowe's one are a big reason why there aren't a lot of black people that work (or want to work) as delivery drivers...especially deliveries direct to residential customers.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:14 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,620,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
If a black customer preferred a black delivery driver... I don't know. I'm on the fence about this. And I'm female so lots of customers don't want to deal with me. Until they do. Then they're glad.
Then that would be wrong too. What is it that you're on the fence about? I couldn't ever imagine requesting or excluding a certain race to deliver something to my home.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:43 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I think that employee should have a little tolerance for the fact that some elderly are frightened of black people. I also have a friend that was raped by a black man. She used to have anxiety attacks when confronted by a black man in a hostile way. It brought her trauma back to her. I cannot imagine she would want a visit from one.
That one is a very tough call, but the fact remains that the root cause of so many younger employees' frustrations is that they are expected to indulge and deal with all manner of customers' foibles -- and generally for pay at a small fraction of the amount charged the customer. A de-industrializing economy creates less demand for substance, and more demand for form, but the burdens of this are not always fairly shared.

And tip-mooching isn't the answer; too many retirees are living so far in the past that they have no idea of the financial pressures faced by junior employees in the present economy.

If I could change one portion of our present economy and tax structure, I would impose a stiff surcharge on all economic activities offering personal service where personal attention isn't absolutely necessary. "Package deals" seldom work to the benefit of the self-reliant; it's time to directly reward those who take more responsibility for themselves. People with obvious physical issues can be excepted, but I suspect that, as with Social Security disability, there will be an abusive minority who will soon learn how to exploit the system.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-10-2015 at 08:22 PM..

Old 08-10-2015, 08:00 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
But I don't think that's what the "customer is always right" concept is.

That's more about that if you want to be sure you keep a customer, then he/she is always "right".

Old 08-10-2015, 08:54 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,050,775 times
Sounds like she's been watching too much Fox News.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:01 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
It may not be politically correct to be racist , but in this country you have the right to be!

Old 08-10-2015, 10:05 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
It may not be politically correct to be racist , but in this country you have the right to be!
Yeah, they have the right to be ignorant bigots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events