U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:58 AM

1,955 posts, read 2,879,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
To increase sales. Since girls really do like girly toys and the color pink, it makes sense to group all those toys together in a sparkly pink area. Stores study product placement and presentation carefully and make these decisions based on the data. In this case, I'm sure they're hoping a political statement will buy them enough publicity and good will to overcome any loss due to less than optimal layout.
Actually, a lot of how products are placed on the shelf has to do with money. As in, how much money the retailer can extort out of the vendor for preferred shelf space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 02:12 AM

30,407 posts, read 9,086,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Target is making the toy aisles gender neutral.

Target Will Stop Separating

Oddly, some people are really POed about this.
Target To Stop Separating 'Girl' And 'Boy' Toys, Some People Are PISSED - Scary Mommy

I think this is a good move!

The only thing "odd" about this was Target caving due to the loud croakings of one customer who, BTW, had no problem finding the toy(s) she was looking for, but was simply piqued about their SIGNAGE, THE [gasp!] PINK/BLUE, ETC..

So now the masses of previously-uncomplaining parents will have to wander the aisles aimlessly, looking for what they want.

Nice move, Target.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:37 AM

27,455 posts, read 44,947,050 times
Target is getting lot of free and positive publicity after the credit/ID theft scandal --
Marketing, marketing, marketing

Old 08-11-2015, 06:01 AM

13,148 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Target is getting lot of free and positive publicity after the credit/ID theft scandal --
Marketing, marketing, marketing
This. I can't believe customers have enough free time on their hands that they actually think to get offended over gender related labeling on Target's shelves. If Target really wants to improve, add more staff so the checkout lines aren't so long. I've noticed they have cut staff as Walmart has the last few years, so I've started shopping there much less.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:03 AM

25,907 posts, read 34,973,454 times
The pink and purple "girl" Legos and pink and purple "Rebelle" Nerf weapons are already in their own aisles. Oh no. What was wrong with regular Legos and yellow-and-orange Nerf guns for girls is beyond me.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:11 AM

2,180 posts, read 1,203,715 times
GI joes and Barbies are coming with interchangeable genitalia as well
Velcro on boobs

so you can "caitlan" your dolls...

Old 08-11-2015, 06:13 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

What is so good about it
Unless you are some type of an ultra liberal kook or a "progressive" trying to revel in any and everything that breaks from traditional societal norms, how can you be invested in such a move. It hardly benefits anyone, and is likely just to appease a very small but vocal minority.

I for one will now stop shopping at Target, because I cannot stand how these companies make such PC decisions without considering the view of the vast majority of it's customers.
Maybe they just figure most people will be apathetic, and putting some grease on the squeaky wheel will shut up the freaks.

`
How is it upsetting to you that now toys will be presented as acceptable to anyone?

I'd really like to know.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:17 AM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
To increase sales. Since girls really do like girly toys and the color pink, it makes sense to group all those toys together in a sparkly pink area. Stores study product placement and presentation carefully and make these decisions based on the data. In this case, I'm sure they're hoping a political statement will buy them enough publicity and good will to overcome any loss due to less than optimal layout.
Why would they have to change the layout?
Just take down the signs.
Everything could actually stay where it is.
Y'all don't actually think about anything. Just jump to whatever clever-sounding assumptions make you look smart.
BTW, the Target in my area (very conservative) has never had gender signs. Just information signs. And somehow we find anything we want.
*gasp*

Old 08-11-2015, 07:06 AM

40,904 posts, read 32,658,014 times
I can promise you one thing:

If changing the signage or layout hurts sales, Target will change them back.

Old 08-11-2015, 07:13 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,812,336 times
I kind of like the idea of not having everything pink or blue...or purple. I really think the color coded stuff is just to help the stores sell more product. I'm not sure when everything started getting color coded...maybe the 80's or 90's when ultrasounds became popular and you knew the sex of your baby before it was born.

Baby clothes used to be more gender neutral and were easier to pass down from baby to baby. It's hard to buy gender neutral clothes for an infant today. My first two were boys. I had a lot of blue stuff given to me. I needed new clothes for my daughter. There wasn't a lot she could wear from the boys out in public.

We had plenty of toys by the time my third child was born. She played with those, but loved also dolls and stuffed animals also. That was something my boys simply never wanted. My daughter received a pink and purple play kitchen for her second birthday. Her brothers enjoyed that also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or