U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 08:28 AM

21,163 posts, read 22,162,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The only thing "odd" about this was Target caving due to the loud croakings of one customer who, BTW, had no problem finding the toy(s) she was looking for, but was simply piqued about their SIGNAGE, THE [gasp!] PINK/BLUE, ETC..

So now the masses of previously-uncomplaining parents will have to wander the aisles aimlessly, looking for what they want.

Nice move, Target.
Oh noes! Masses of parents wandering the aisles of Target, unable to find Barbies or Legos in the toy aisle without signs telling them where the "girl" toys are, or having pink/blue paper on the back of the shelves so they don't accidentally buy an Elsa doll for their son or Star Wars Legos for their daughter. What will they do?!

https://youtu.be/O3ZOKDmorj0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 08:29 AM

27,419 posts, read 15,113,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

What is so good about it
Unless you are some type of an ultra liberal kook or a "progressive" trying to revel in any and everything that breaks from traditional societal norms, how can you be invested in such a move. It hardly benefits anyone, and is likely just to appease a very small but vocal minority.

I for one will now stop shopping at Target, because I cannot stand how these companies make such PC decisions without considering the view of the vast majority of it's customers.
Maybe they just figure most people will be apathetic, and putting some grease on the squeaky wheel will shut up the freaks.

`
Do you really need a sign telling you which toys you should buy? It's really pretty simple and guideposts are simply not needed.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:26 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,189,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Target is making the toy aisles gender neutral.

Target Will Stop Separating

Oddly, some people are really POed about this.
Target To Stop Separating 'Girl' And 'Boy' Toys, Some People Are PISSED - Scary Mommy

I think this is a good move!
As long as they keep all of the traditional boy toys together and girl toys together, I don't care. Just as I don't care if they don't have "Mens" signs over the "Men's" clothing sections and "Women's" over the "Women's", because I can see which is which. But if you start mixing them together making me walk and search more, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Oh noes! Masses of parents wandering the aisles of Target, unable to find Barbies or Legos in the toy aisle without signs telling them where the "girl" toys are, or having pink/blue paper on the back of the shelves so they don't accidentally buy an Elsa doll for their son or Star Wars Legos for their daughter. What will they do?!
Do you think having the signs at the end of each grocery items is a good way to help customers locate things faster or do you think they are a waste because someone looking for eggs shouldn't confuse them for carrots?

Old 08-11-2015, 09:50 AM

41,169 posts, read 32,846,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As long as they keep all of the traditional boy toys together and girl toys together, I don't care. Just as I don't care if they don't have "Mens" signs over the "Men's" clothing sections and "Women's" over the "Women's", because I can see which is which. But if you start mixing them together making me walk and search more, I'll take my business elsewhere.

Do you think having the signs at the end of each grocery items is a good way to help customers locate things faster or do you think they are a waste because someone looking for eggs shouldn't confuse them for carrots?
I'm betting that toys continue to be categorized by type - dolls, games, trucks, etc.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Poor analogy. Do you think grocery stores should have signs designating "men's vegetables " (perhaps onions and potatoes) and "women's vegetables" (salad greens) so shoppers don't get confused in the produce section?

Old 08-11-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm betting that toys continue to be categorized by type - dolls, games, trucks, etc.
When I go shopping for a toy, I'm not going saying I'm looking for an action figure or a makeup kit, I'm going saying I'm looking for a toy for a 7-year-old boy. I go to the section with boys toys and start looking for what appears interesting. I'm guessing that is true for the majority of adults looking for a present for a kid.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Poor analogy. Do you think grocery stores should have signs designating "men's vegetables " (perhaps onions and potatoes) and "women's vegetables" (salad greens) so shoppers don't get confused in the produce section?
Do they keep all of the produce in the same section and label that entire section with all the aisles "produce"? They do in the grocery store I go to.

A good portion of the time, I go to the "produce" section not knowing what specific item I want to get, just as when I have to pick up a present for a 9-year-old girl's birthday party, I start going down the pink aisles in the toy section looking for something to get. It makes it easier as a shopper.

It's also nice when all of the soda is kept together in one section and the beer in another section, they are both labeled at the end of the aisle and I don't have to look between the Coke and Pepsi to find St. Arnold's Weedwacker beer and then go down further between the 7-Up and the Dr Pepper if I change my mind and decide on Blue Moon. They are all beverages, but they are separated to make it easier.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:12 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,996,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Year2525 View Post
What Target does has very little effect. Long before children can read a sign that says "boys" or "girls" parents have already bought and given the kids toys. The same with clothing colors. When is the last time you visted a home where the boy's room was painted pink? If a parent took their children who can't yet read into Target and bought Barbie dolls for the child, think the kid knows if it came from a boy's aisle or girl's aisle? The kid can't read. They can however associate when their room is blue and the little girls room is pink. By the time the kids can read the signs, what Target does, doesn't matter one bit.
My son always ran to the toy cars, soldiers and lego contraptions way before he could read.
Those labels are for adults, not the kids.

So the adults can now pat themselves on the back for a PC job well done.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:14 AM

41,169 posts, read 32,846,148 times
Quote:
When I go shopping for a toy, I'm not going saying I'm looking for an action figure or a makeup kit, I'm going saying I'm looking for a toy for a 7-year-old boy. I go to the section with boys toys and start looking for what appears interesting. I'm guessing that is true for the majority of adults looking for a present for a kid.
My point is that it's pretty darn easy to find "toy trucks" and "games" and "dolls" in the toy section, whether they have a big sign that says, "GIRLS" or "BOYS" hanging above them. I mean, it's just not that complicated.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Do they keep all of the produce in the same section and label that entire section with all the aisles "produce"? They do in the grocery store I go to.
Sure! Just like they have signs designating the toy section at Target.They even have signs labeling Legos, Barbies. Board games etc. I'm confident most shoppers can find what they are looking for without the words "girl" or "boy" in the description of the toys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or