U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:21 AM

3,402 posts, read 930,152 times

Advertisements

Even removing the subtle clues, there are still obvious differences. The aisle with the big "Barbie" display looks pink, and the section with hot wheels cars looks blue. That's because of the colors of the packaging of the toys, something Target has no control over.

I definitely can't see how this will remove any of the stigma of a boy buying a doll. Case in point, I'm a straight 20 year old male. I bought the 5 Barbie dolls that look like the girl group Fifth Harmony at Target about 4 or 5 months ago for myself. Separating the toys would have eliminated absolutely none of the stigma. So what does this have to do with the situation? I've seen kids pay for their own toys before, and checking out with a girly toy like a doll is a lot different from checking out with a Lego set or a Batman toy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 09:21 AM

41,077 posts, read 32,757,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's also nice when all of the soda is kept together in one section and the beer in another section, they are both labeled at the end of the aisle and I don't have to look between the Coke and Pepsi to find St. Arnold's Weedwacker beer and then go down further between the 7-Up and the Dr Pepper if I change my mind and decide on Blue Moon. They are all beverages, but they are separated to make it easier.
And I seriously doubt that Target is going to stop categorizing toys by type. All they're doing is not labeling them "boy" or "girl" toys.

I played with all sorts of toys growing up with my two brothers. They played with my Barbie dolls too, now that I think of it. Heck, they probably played with my doll house. By the way, they are both extremely masculine and are both big, brawny guys with absolutely zero "gender confusion."

One thing I'd really like to see is less PINK AND PURPLE PLASTIC STUFF for little girls. My gosh, it's pastel overload. I love toys that are color appropriate. What I mean is that if I buy a kid a stuffed horse - I don't want it to be pink or purple or blue - I just want it to look like a real horse. I don't want to buy a doll whose got purple shiny hair and wearing purple eyeliner. I don't want to buy a huge, plastic pink and white and purple doll house that looks like a horrible version of a wedding cake. I want it to look like a house.

So far I haven't had any real problem finding good toys for kids. I especially love Melissa and Doug toys, as well as Playmobil toys, most of which are gender neutral of of excellent quality. My little granddaughters LOVE playing in the tub with their Playmobil pirate ship! And my grandson enjoys playing with the sushi set from Melissa and Doug.

Official Melissa & Doug® | Educational and Classic Toys | Puzzles for Kids | Stuffed Animals | Wooden Preschool Toys
PLAYMOBIL® USA

Old 08-11-2015, 09:28 AM

3,467 posts, read 2,278,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

What is so good about it
Unless you are some type of an ultra liberal kook or a "progressive" trying to revel in any and everything that breaks from traditional societal norms, how can you be invested in such a move. It hardly benefits anyone, and is likely just to appease a very small but vocal minority.

I for one will now stop shopping at Target, because I cannot stand how these companies make such PC decisions without considering the view of the vast majority of it's customers.
Maybe they just figure most people will be apathetic, and putting some grease on the squeaky wheel will shut up the freaks.

`
Studies show that conservatives like you don't shop in Target in the first place - - WalMart is more your type. Target didn't lose anything with you.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:36 AM

3,467 posts, read 2,278,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I kind of like the idea of not having everything pink or blue...or purple. I really think the color coded stuff is just to help the stores sell more product. I'm not sure when everything started getting color coded...maybe the 80's or 90's when ultrasounds became popular and you knew the sex of your baby before it was born.

Baby clothes used to be more gender neutral and were easier to pass down from baby to baby. It's hard to buy gender neutral clothes for an infant today. My first two were boys. I had a lot of blue stuff given to me. I needed new clothes for my daughter. There wasn't a lot she could wear from the boys out in public.

We had plenty of toys by the time my third child was born. She played with those, but loved also dolls and stuffed animals also. That was something my boys simply never wanted. My daughter received a pink and purple play kitchen for her second birthday. Her brothers enjoyed that also.
My daughter is a redhead with blue eyes. She looks great in both blue and green. It can be difficult to find those colors for girls, but we grab every one we can. When our friends gave us hand-me-downs for her, probably 80% of it was pink.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:38 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,158,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My point is that it's pretty darn easy to find "toy trucks" and "games" and "dolls" in the toy section, whether they have a big sign that says, "GIRLS" or "BOYS" hanging above them. I mean, it's just not that complicated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Sure! Just like they have signs designating the toy section at Target.They even have signs labeling Legos, Barbies. Board games etc. I'm confident most shoppers can find what they are looking for without the words "girl" or "boy" in the description of the toys.
From the article:

Quote:
Target will no longer use colors like pink and blue on the back walls of shelves to denote gendered sections of the department.
They are taking away visual cues that make it easy for an adult to walk right into the boy's toys area and start to browse.

My issue is not with removing the verbiage of "boy's" and "Girl's", it's the visual cues and the idea that this will lead to mixing all the toys together so that the dolls are right next the to action figures.

Quote:
And I seriously doubt that Target is going to stop categorizing toys by type. All they're doing is not labeling them "boy" or "girl" toys.
And as I specifically stated on my first post.

Quote:
As long as they keep all of the traditional boy toys together and girl toys together, I don't care. Just as I don't care if they don't have "Mens" signs over the "Men's" clothing sections and "Women's" over the "Women's", because I can see which is which. But if you start mixing them together making me walk and search more, I'll take my business elsewhere.
I just don't understand how you're not getting this.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:42 AM

869 posts, read 664,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
I think it's a good move. Many toys are intended for both boys and girls, and having the toy section divided by gender causes confusion over where a shopper can find what. Combining it into one category also gives stores more flexibility on product placement.

Seriously though, I about busted a gut laughing at some of those moronic objections posted in the second link.

For the record, I'm a woman and I've always hated pink. It's a shame it seems to be the favored color for marketing products toward women, even when we're adults.

I am a woman and I love pink. I also have no problem walking around the toy section to determine what I buy. I don't look at labels and decide to stick to one side of the toy department. I think outside the box (or in this case section). I do not allow a label or marketing tactics to dictate my way of thought.......

Old 08-11-2015, 09:46 AM

41,077 posts, read 32,757,593 times
Quote:

They are taking away visual cues that make it easy for an adult to walk right into the boy's toys area and start to browse.

My issue is not with removing the verbiage of "boy's" and "Girl's", it's the visual cues and the idea that this will lead to mixing all the toys together so that the dolls are right next the to action figures.

All they're doing is removing PINK AND BLUE BACK WALLS. Believe me, the visual clues will be there. "Hi, I'm a doll and dressed from head to toe in pink clothes!" "Hi, I'm a firetruck and I'm red!" "Hi, I'm a unicorn and I'm all sparkly and purple!" "Hi, I'm a set of Lincoln Logs and I'm brown!"

I get it. I guess I just don't need a pink or blue wall or a sign that says "Girls" or "Boys" to find age appropriate toys easily.

But you say, "...walk right into the boy's toys area." Are you saying that there are certain toys that only boys or only girls like? Are you saying that you're honestly afraid that you won't easily be able to find dolls or toy trucks in the Target toy department now?

Old 08-11-2015, 09:56 AM

28,411 posts, read 14,158,219 times
Quote:
All they're doing is removing PINK AND BLUE BACK WALLS. Believe me, the visual clues will be there. "Hi, I'm a doll and dressed from head to toe in pink clothes!" "Hi, I'm a firetruck and I'm red!" "Hi, I'm a unicorn and I'm all sparkly and purple!" "Hi, I'm a set of Lincoln Logs and I'm brown!"

I get it. I guess I just don't need a pink or blue wall or a sign that says "Girls" or "Boys" to find age appropriate toys easily.
Do you know the difference between baking ingredients like flour, sugar and baking soda vs beer?

If so, I guess you feel they should remove the signs from the end of the grocery store aisles?

Just as most people don't want to stop at the end of each grocery store aisle to look down it to see which one has baking goods, I don't want to have to stop and look down each aisle to see where the boys toys might be. I'd rather get to the toys section and have the blue indicate that's where they are.

Are you going to say to the people who like the indicators at the end of the grocery aisles, "What you need a bag of flour to say Hi, I'm a bag of flour."

Once again, I don't care about the "boy's" and "girl's" signs, I like the visual cues giving me a quick reference to where the boy's toys are and the girl's toys are. Yes, I know what a Lincoln Log set looks like just like a know what rice looks like, but it's surely convenient not to have to stare down every row looking to see which might be the right one.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:56 AM

21,144 posts, read 22,135,031 times
Quote:
From the article:

And as I specifically stated on my first post.

You are seriously admitting you won't be able to tell the difference between dolls marketed toward girls and dolls marketed toward boys (aka "action figures" ) unless the color of the paper on the back of the shelf provides a visual cue?

Old 08-11-2015, 09:58 AM

28,147 posts, read 24,679,387 times
This is horrible.

How will people know what their kids are supposed to play with or wear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or