Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 08:46 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times

Advertisements

It's really quite simple. Walk on the sidewalk, don't strong arm convenience store owners, don't sell drugs, don't try to take a cops gun, get out of your car when ordered to do so, don't sell loosies, and if you are busted don't fight with the cops. And chances are that the criminal justice system will slap you on the wrist and you will be on your way while the arresting officer is still doing his paperwork.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 09:15 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You would think this was common sense, but certain people just want to be permitted to break the law without getting arrested.
No. Those of us on the "other side" of the issue have -- for the most part -- no problem with people be arrested, tried in court, and being imprisoned if found guilty.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:21 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
DON'T COMMIT A CRIME!!!!
I'm suck and tired of people honoring criminals who are killed by a cop which they never would have encountered had they not been committing a crime in the first place.
Hell, a person can't even kill themselves in jail without the cops being blame.
Yeah, and don't forget to use your turn signal and your seatbelt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XFYTtgZAlE

Old 08-12-2015, 09:27 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default Use common sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
DON'T COMMIT A CRIME!!!!
I'm suck and tired of people honoring criminals who are killed by a cop which they never would have encountered had they not been committing a crime in the first place.
Hell, a person can't even kill themselves in jail without the cops being blame.

On one hand, you can't fix STUPID. On the other hand, I'd like to think we should at least try. I would add to your comments that people stopped by the police should use COMMON SENSE.

1). When the police stop you and ask questions, comply with the same respect you'd want to be given.
2). When police have someone pulled over or on the curb, that is NOT the time for you to get up in the mix. Regardless if attempting to video it, argue that the person is innocent, or simply to see what is going on. You should NOT interfere with the policeman doing his/her job. Stand back without being told to - stand way out of the way.
3). When the police ask for your ID, give it to them without arguing or getting loud. To start arguing, loud, stating you're video-taping them, accuse them of being racist or walk/run away is not only counter productive but NOT smart at all. It increases your chances of something much worse than being stopped happening to you.
4). If you are stopped by a policemen that you feel is treating you less than US citizen should be treated, then memorize his name and badge number and after this is all over go to the precinct and make a complaint. That is the way to handle it. NOT arguing, causing a ruckus, and creating more negative responses.
5). Don't hold a gun, fake or real, in the sight of a policemen. Drop it immediately. That is not the time to hold the gun while you explain why you're still holding it or smile holding it to see the police's reaction. Police have no way to know your state of mind and what you plan to do with that gun. In a such a violent society as ours, they have every right to assume you're going to shoot them or shoot somebody because otherwise why would you be holding it?
6). Don't hit, push a policemen nor attempt to grab their weapon. That should be a NO-BRAINER but apparently not every is dealing with a full deck. Hence, they end up causing their mom to be paraded across the TV screen openly screaming crying saying that her son/daughter never did anything wrong but was just strangely randomly shot dead by "racist" police. The police are not mental health counselors, nurses from the psychiatric ward, ministers, nor loving grandmas. They are hired, actually paid to keep law and order and they carry a gun in case disorders gets too out of hand and dangerous.

It's really simple. Do unto others as you would have them do until you. I honestly think a lot of these situations are people committing suicide by police or have a switch in their mind that tells them to do the worse possible thing they can at that moment to insure that they get themselves killed by the police.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:34 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
This is such a thoughtless argument. Nobody thinks it's wise to commit most crimes. The criticism isn't about the crimes themselves, but rather how petty crimes or small struggles don't warrant a fatal shot to the head. Just because you're a criminal doesn't mean you deserve to die.

Forget it, your comments will just fall on deaf ears. This has been debated in every thread where some minor infraction has resulted in a cop killing a person. You have to wonder why the need to start a thread about it given all the discussion elsewhere. Maybe all the people who think the police are always right, simply want to glad hand each other.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:35 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,618,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Uh.

I have been treated pretty crappily by cops even though I have not ever committed a crime. I've been pulled over for driving while brown. Not even speeding. Just driving. I have been treated rudely and with disrespect. I am a yes, sir, no, ma'am soft spoken person. I don't give lip. And I have been witness to the asshat powertrip parade.

I know a lot of cops personally bc I work with them. The ones i work with are always nicd to me. But it is obvious that many of these guys I work with are effed up crazypants powertrip nutjobs. MANY.
Me too. My boyfriend was stopped in his own front yard, questioned about what he was doing. He had long hair at the time. Some cops are just on power trips. We're white-- being treated rudely by police isn't unique to black people, believe it or not.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:44 PM

166 posts, read 186,061 times
No, the way to not get killed by a police officer is:

General rules:
Never call the police. For ANY reason. If you need defense, move to a safer area, or buy a gun. Ideally in a state that does not require registration, because the last thing you want to do is walk into a police station.
Avoid the police whenever possible at all times.
If you see a police officer, walk around a corner and take another route. Subtly.
Do not disturb the neighbors so they don't call the police.
If you are a drama queen/king, keep the drama to the internet and always mask your identity through multiple channels.
Pay your taxes even though it is robbery.
Never, ever confront a police officer for any reason.
Take measures so that you're never in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Stay out of bad neighborhoods.
Follow all laws and be a model citizen.
Don't yell at anyone in public. Not even on the phone.
Wear relatively neutral clothing so you don't stand out from the crowd.
Do not draw any attention to yourself. Ever.

Driving:
If you see a police vehicle on the highway or the street, drive perfectly, 1-3 miles over the speed limit (if you drive exactly it can be suspicious).
Make sure your tags, license, and insurance are in order and paid up to date.
Renew your tags and license at a third party like AAA. Renew your insurance online.
Obey all traffic laws.
Make sure all your bulbs are always lit, especially taillights. Don't drive with a broken taillight. Just don't do it.
Don't drive a beater.
If you drive a luxury car, make sure it remains in good condition.
Don't do ghetto or ricey car mods. Examples: chrome rims, 20" rims (except for trucks), hydraulics, neons, non-white headlights, large spoilers, bodykits, etc. It draws unnecessary attention to you by the police.
Ideally drive a car that looks newish and stock (looks mostly unmodded).
Keep your car's music volume down. Don't install huge subwoofers.
If you get in an accident, get it repaired immediately. Don't drive around with body damage, that's just asking for a police encounter and gives probable cause for an unconstitutional search of your vehicle.
If you see a police and he is not behind you, do not drive alongside him, calmly take a left or right and get out of line of sight as soon as possible.
Minimize driving as much as possible, since traffic is the most common time to encounter them.

Last edited by thepalmtrees; 08-12-2015 at 09:54 PM..

Old 08-12-2015, 09:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default That doesn't add up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightwad357 View Post
A 24yo was killed by police in Charlotte. His car crashed and he was seeking help. He knocked on one door and someone called the police saying a black guy was trying to burglarize a home. The police see the guy walking the street they could care less about his story they are only looking for a burglar. They point a gun at him he runs and killed for it.
I empathize with you being treated with suspicion and fear even though you don't deserve it. While I don't discount or doubt what you've said, it's only this that I question. This story I've quoted doesn't add up. If a person's car crashes, they are a bit shaken up even if they're okay physically. Of course, you need help and will call 911 or hope someone else will if you're unable to. So this guy goes to someone's house, knocks on the door. Either they opened it and let him in or they didn't. If they didn't, he should have moved on plain and simple. How is standing at stranger's door who refuses to let you helping the situation at hand after an accident? Move on to seek help. What was he doing, trying to force them to open the door?

When the police arrived, shouldn't he have been glad to see them since he'd wrecked his car and they are the one's he needed to call anyway due to his serious accident. Why run from the police if you need help after being in a car crash? That makes no sense whatsoever. He responded to the police more like a "burglar" would have instead of a person in a car accident. If he wasn't a burglar, he sure did behave like one -- start running away as soon as the "law" shows up. This doesn't make sense to anyone with a clear, mentally sane, alcohol-free, drug-free mind. He did not respond to the police like a citizen who'd just been in a car crash. I still say that "you can't fix STUPID" but we can sure try.

I'm sorry, but if what this man did sounds "logical" to you or something you think any normal person would have done, then I feel sorry for you.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:09 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You would think this was common sense, but certain people just want to be permitted to break the law without getting arrested.
You've got it wrong. People want, if people are being arrested, not to get killed during the arrest procedures.

Additionally, people should get arrested for legit stuff, not trumped up fake crimes like loitering in front of your home.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:10 PM

166 posts, read 186,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
You've got it wrong. People want, if people are being arrested, not to get killed during the arrest procedures.

Additionally, people should get arrested for legit stuff, not trumped up fake crimes like loitering in front of your home.
or not renewing your "driving license"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events