U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2015, 07:08 PM
 
13,482 posts, read 9,612,863 times
Reputation: 17435

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Everybody else can be afraid of snakes, spiders, and sharks - - ticks and brain-eating amoebas scare the crap out of me.
Yup. My kids swam in a lake and river in warm water where a kid got one of those amoebas a few weeks later. I had never heard of such a thing. Not cool. Nose plugs for everyone, because that's how you get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2015, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,510 posts, read 2,796,958 times
Reputation: 6371
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Yup. My kids swam in a lake and river in warm water where a kid got one of those amoebas a few weeks later. I had never heard of such a thing. Not cool. Nose plugs for everyone, because that's how you get it.

Its very rare to be infected by Naegleria, the amount of cases has been so few, even with how much more widespread it has become, it has been moving further and further north in recent years and it will continue to extend its reach through climate change, more warmer bodies of water means more potential living space.


Nose clips are a good way to help prevent a possible infection because while it is rare, when an infection of parasitic meningitis occurs, it is almost always fatal, only 1-2 people have ever survived an infection I believe.

Another thing is to not kick up the sediment at the bottom of a lake or river, that is where the amoeba resides and why so often the victims end up being young boys that were playing around, having a grand old time in the water and then came down with an infection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 07:29 PM
 
13,482 posts, read 9,612,863 times
Reputation: 17435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Its very rare to be infected by Naegleria, the amount of cases has been so few, even with how much more widespread it has become, it has been moving further and further north in recent years and it will continue to extend its reach through climate change, more warmer bodies of water means more potential living space.


Nose clips are a good way to help prevent a possible infection because while it is rare, when an infection of parasitic meningitis occurs, it is almost always fatal, only 1-2 people have ever survived an infection I believe.

Another thing is to not kick up the sediment at the bottom of a lake or river, that is where the amoeba resides and why so often the victims end up being young boys that were playing around, having a grand old time in the water and then came down with an infection.
Which is exactly what mine were doing where a little boy got it a few weeks later, near the same spot, and later died.

You just can't protect them against everything. It's utterly impossible. If I was going to go splash around in the Colorado near Havasu and / or Laughlin near the banks where it's warm now, I'd be wearing nose clips, and if I'd known then what I know now, they'd have been doing the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 08:14 PM
 
387 posts, read 253,455 times
Reputation: 841
Ticks are a huge problem on the East Coast/Mid West....I know that having hiked extensively in those regions...They are literally everywhere when you hike and are getting worse and worse every year....

The don't seem quite as bad or common on the West Coast due to the lower humidity....Apparently they tend to dry out and die in low humidity climates so they aren't quite as common out West......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 08:15 PM
 
387 posts, read 253,455 times
Reputation: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Everybody else can be afraid of snakes, spiders, and sharks - - ticks and brain-eating amoebas scare the crap out of me.
Snakes, Spiders, and Shark don't want to harm Humans, but occasionally do by accident (someone accidentally steps on a Snake etc) or because they are provoked....

Ticks/Mosquitoes/Bed Bugs on the other hand are actively searching for Humans and other hosts to suck blood...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,510 posts, read 2,796,958 times
Reputation: 6371
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY to Chicago View Post
Ticks are a huge problem on the East Coast/Mid West....I know that having hiked extensively in those regions...They are literally everywhere when you hike and are getting worse and worse every year....

The don't seem quite as bad or common on the West Coast due to the lower humidity....Apparently they tend to dry out and die in low humidity climates so they aren't quite as common out West......


I blame it all on Plum Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 08:44 PM
 
6,031 posts, read 6,531,293 times
Reputation: 8305
I have a hillside with some brush, trees, English Ivy and Virginia creeper (and some Cat's Briar) I was going to go out there and trim the weeds and brush....but now I'm thinking I might just call my landscaping guy and let him do it.

I've never had an issue, but every time I see comments like these.....I start wondering if I really want to take any chances.

Are ticks usually in suburban areas?......I live in Maryland near DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 08:44 PM
 
23,935 posts, read 31,158,610 times
Reputation: 28557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Lyme/RMSF is no joke. You see a bulls eye you get doxycycline within 2 weeks and good.
You don't have to get a bulls-eye rash, either. In fact, you may not even know that you were bitten.
Been there, done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 08:49 PM
 
7,325 posts, read 3,755,430 times
Reputation: 9073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
A guy I used to know in special forces said they wear panty hose sometimes in the bush/jungle to prevent ticks because it is no joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Actually, this is a great idea.....
Seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2015, 08:51 PM
 
Location: StlNoco Mo
5,262 posts, read 4,058,133 times
Reputation: 6706
Some of those ticks can be as hard to remove as a crooked Mayor.
I had a tick between my toes and couldn't pry him off with tweezers so I heated the blade of a pocket knife and when I touched him he was more than happy to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top