U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:48 PM

13,477 posts, read 9,597,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
It should, though its uncertain if the immunity is lifelong or just for a period of time, the vast majority of those infected with West Nile show no symptoms, much similar to Valley Fever.

Out here in Phoenix, most people have traces of a previous Valley Fever infection, and sometimes when they move to far flung areas that aren't familiar with it, the lung nodules that can be left behind as a result of infection are sometimes mistaken as a sign of lung cancer.
I've had valley fever as well. One of the best radiologists in the country told me that if you live here long enough, you will have those spots on your lungs. He has them as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 12:42 AM

3,463 posts, read 2,273,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I caught West Nile here in Vegas after getting eaten up by some Mosquitos. I wasn't quite sick enough to be hospitized, but it was still pretty awful. The health district confirmed that there were West Nile infected Mosquitos in my area at the time. Body aches, fever, delerium, etc. Good times.

I'm hoping that exposure makes me immune in the future because I'm not interested in catching it again. We don't have a lot of ticks or Mosquitos here, but we have some, and if you are are an outdoorsy type, I highly suggest proper clothing and a bunch of Avons skin so soft.
I caught West Nile back when I was living in Rhode Island. Over a 95 degree Fourth of July, I had a temperature of 104 and was wearing four blankets. It wasn't fun, but I'd take West Nile (at least if I'm between the ages of 8-78) over any tick diseases 100 times out of 100.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:29 AM

161 posts, read 105,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Not sure why it took them so long to test for it. Rocky Mountain spotted fever is endemic to Oklahoma and usually comes with a telltale rash as one of the first symptoms. The disease can easily be fatal if it appropriate treatment doesn't start within 4 or 5 days of the onset of symptoms.

What happened to this woman is horrible but she easily could be dead right now.
I'll take death over no arms or legs...I MIGHT be able to handle the loss of one but definitely not 4.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:40 AM

15,569 posts, read 9,650,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnam409 View Post
I'll take death over no arms or legs...I MIGHT be able to handle the loss of one but definitely not 4.

When I saw this on the news, I had exactly the same thoughts as you. I would simply tell them to let me die. This is horrible and almost beyond belief. But no joke, I would not want to live.

Don

Old 08-15-2015, 09:55 AM

9,457 posts, read 16,408,211 times
I"m reading this and thinking of the 30 ticks or so that I picked off this summer. Interesting thing though--I live in Missouri, the tickiest state in the union but we have almost no lyme disease and very little RMSF. If we did have these things, we'd really be in trouble.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:39 AM

7,074 posts, read 4,573,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I"m reading this and thinking of the 30 ticks or so that I picked off this summer. Interesting thing though--I live in Missouri, the tickiest state in the union but we have almost no lyme disease and very little RMSF. If we did have these things, we'd really be in trouble.
I wouldn't take it too lightly. Many more diseases ticks carry that they can pass on to humans besides lyme and RMSF:

Tickborne Diseases of the United States | Ticks | CDC

Specifically, the heartland virus is in your parts plus several others on this list. And many of these things are spreading rapidly throughout the US. Was a time Lyme was only in very specific areas.

Old 08-15-2015, 06:08 PM

3,190 posts, read 1,850,707 times
So we can screw up our own food supply with chemicals, but we can't figure out how to eradicate ticks. I live in New England which is a hotbed for lyme, and many doctors still believe it doesn't exist unless, possibly, you have a bullseye rash. Science is amazing

Old 08-15-2015, 06:11 PM

13,477 posts, read 9,597,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
When I saw this on the news, I had exactly the same thoughts as you. I would simply tell them to let me die. This is horrible and almost beyond belief. But no joke, I would not want to live.

Don
They wouldn't let you make that decision as far as I know. The right to life crowd has a problem with the death with dignity movement. As soon as you fell unconscious, unless you had a living will in a state that honors it, they'd have no choice.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:09 AM

27,167 posts, read 11,349,748 times
I had Lyme disease in the 80's and I was so sick, I kept going back to the doc and was repeatedly told it was a virus and there was nothing they could do. I knew it was more serious, I felt like I was going to die. It got so bad that my joints were affected and I couldn't fully close my mouth, or operate the clutch on my car. A friend of mine took one look at me and drove me to the hospital where a doctor finally spent the time to examine me and I was diagnosed with Lyme disease and treated me with antibiotics. I still have some residual arthritis and a heart murmur from it, but nothing I can't deal with.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:13 AM

27,167 posts, read 11,349,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I've had valley fever as well. One of the best radiologists in the country told me that if you live here long enough, you will have those spots on your lungs. He has them as well.
They are moving thousands inmates with a high risk of becoming ill from Valley Fever out of Central Valley prisons in California, California spends $5M to screen inmates for valley fever | 89.3 KPCC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events