Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 12:48 PM

53 posts, read 62,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A woman says a sheriff's deputy in Texas stripped her naked in a gas station parking lot and administered a cavity search of her genitals because of suspicions she was in possession of marijuana."It was embarrassing, degrading," Charnesia Corley told CNN's Don Lemon on Thursday. "I felt low, I felt helpless."
The incident happened during a traffic stop in June in Harris County. A male sheriff's deputy pulled Corley over and then searched her car after saying he smelled marijuana in it, she said.
After finding nothing, she said, he called a female officer out to search Corley.
"They took me around to the side of my car, and she tells me, 'Pull your pants down,'" Corley told CNN.
Corley, who was handcuffed, said she told the female deputy that she didn't have any underwear on.
The female deputy replied that it didn't matter, pulled Corley's pants down and then told her to bend over, Corley told CNN.
"I bent over and she proceeded to stick her fingers in me, and I popped up immediately and I told her, 'No! What are you doing? You can't do that to me,' she said.
'"I felt like they raped me'

The deputy told her that she could do what she wanted because it was a narcotics search, according to Corley.
After Corley resisted, another female deputy was apparently called to complete the search.
"I felt like they raped me," Corley told CNN.
Her attorney, Samuel Cammack III, said that what the deputies did in the middle of a parking lot was unconstitutional.
"It wasn't a strip search, it was a manual cavity search," he told CNN.
The Harris County Sheriff's Office said in a statement that it was unable to comment on the matter "until the completion of an ongoing internal affairs investigation, and pending the status of civil litigation."
"We anticipate that the office of Inspector General will share their findings with Sheriff Ron Hickman in accordance with state law and civil service procedures in the near future," the statement said.
But Harris County Sheriff's spokesperson Thomas Gilleland told CNN affiliate KTRK last week that the deputies did everything as they should.
Gilleland said one deputy wrote in the report that Corley said they could "strip search her if I needed to."
Corley denied that she had given them her consent.
Texas woman angry over sheriff's deputies' strip search - CNN.com

Totally disgusting. She even said two female officers were on her and at no point these officers thought this was wrong? Horrible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 01:01 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
One thing is for sure, you won't see this on an episode of 'Cops' on tv.

I don't think searching her for drugs was necessarily that bad, but perhaps doing it in public was. They could have taken her inside somewhere , or to the police station to do it.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:03 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Yep but she has one heck of a lawsuit now and she should own that county when it is over and fire every one of them .

Old 08-20-2015, 01:05 PM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
What is wrong with these idiots? Since it is not weapons they are concerned about the suspects need to be taken to the police station if it's that important to search them in areas normally covered by undergarments.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:06 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Since it is Texas, I'm sure they were also checking to see if she had any illegal Mexicans hiding up there.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:17 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
My opinion doesn't matter, but frankly I believe strip-searching should be illegal unless law enforcement believes the person is hiding a weapon.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
My opinion doesn't matter, but frankly I believe strip-searching should be illegal unless law enforcement believes the person is hiding a weapon.
or drugs. Believe it or not, this is how a lot of drugs get into the prison system to begin with. Having said that, this officer went about it ALL wrong. If you suspect they have drugs hiding in their privates, you bring a drug sniffing dog. They will alert to the drugs just like if they were sniffing a car. At that point, you have probable cause for the arrest and then you take them to the police station where they can be searched in private. Of course, this is if you REALLY want to go through all of this for some weed. It isn't like there could be pounds of the stuff shoved up there. IMO, issue her a ticket for whatever traffic infraction she committed which got her pulled over in the first place. Warn her about the pot smell and how she 'could' be arrested and then send her on her way. Instead, now they have a national incident and potential huge lawsuit on their hands. Again, over a little weed.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:38 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
[QUOTETotally disgusting. She even said two female officers were on her and at no point these officers thought this was wrong? Horrible![/quote]

Why should the female officers think it was wrong, it was a legal search. The search was supported by reasonable suspicion. That suspicion panned out because they did find a drug. I would feel violated too, but that's beside the point. Do folks not realize that people can and do get legally strip searched everyday.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Do folks not realize that people can and do get legally strip searched everyday.
Yes they do, but not out in some random parking lot.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:56 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
As horrific as this sounds, the thing that is even more disturbing is the perception of people that whatever they read or see on the news is accurate, unbiased news. If even part of the story is true, the police should be held accountable for and sued for 'gross stupidity.'

But, sadly, the often inaccurate perception of 'truth in 'news' reporting' shapes the way many think and view the world. Meanwhile, the media (typically the tabloids, but, increasingly - regular news outlets) deliver 'editorials laced with hyperbole', not news, and then hide behind the pretense of 'journalism' - with little or no accountability for the havoc they wreak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events