U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2015, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Texas
43,566 posts, read 52,749,647 times
Reputation: 70877

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I had an adverse, phycological, reaction to steroid drugs , given for an inflammatory condition, once. I discontinued the stuff, immediately, and called the doctor. It was scary. Intense , violent, anger. The exact reverse of normal effects, according to the doctor, but not unheard of , either. Someone was provoking anger, at the time it happened, but the feelings that came up were not even my normal response . I was seeing the other persons head going plumb through the wall, and enjoying what I was envisioning. I exited, fast, and didn't come back for quite a while. Scared me.

As it was explained to me, this can happen. Its labeled a "phsycotic reaction". Why it happens is unknown. Something unique to an individual. Certain levels of this or that, that combined with the certain.drug can create a perfect storm. Its rare, and can't be predicted. There's no way to know. Generally, its not a concern, but, it IS a possibility. I would think that unsupervised, non medical use of steroids would be a BAD idea for cops.
,
Different steroids.

I know a lot of EMS, fire guys, and cops.

For some reason, many insist on testosterone supplementation. Many. It starts as early as 30.
30, for God's sake. Just bc you get an Rx doesn't mean you're not juicing. Juicing makes lots of guys nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2015, 11:36 PM
 
557 posts, read 570,950 times
Reputation: 1052
Nah just thugs with guns are bad for cops nothing to see here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2015, 12:13 AM
 
1,372 posts, read 1,381,802 times
Reputation: 4141
Just look at your average cop, they are ALL roid users!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2015, 10:35 PM
 
2,614 posts, read 1,119,004 times
Reputation: 3455
After reading this article, it looks like steroid abuse has actually been a long time problem with cops that has been largely ignored by police departments across the country.

"The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) recently led Operation Raw Deal, considered the largest international steroid investigation to date. The operation discovered several links to current or former law enforcement officers. This was predicted almost 20 years ago by an article in the FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin that stated, “Anabolic steroid abuse by police officers is a serious problem that merits greater awareness by departments across the country.1 In addition, a story on the television program 60 Minutes in 1989 titled “Beefing up the Force” featured three police officers who admitted steroid use and claimed that their resulting aggression got them in serious trouble."

Police Chief Magazine - View Article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 03:42 AM
 
Location: zooland 1
3,744 posts, read 3,422,700 times
Reputation: 5516
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
After reading this article, it looks like steroid abuse has actually been a long time problem with cops that has been largely ignored by police departments across the country.

"The U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) recently led Operation Raw Deal, considered the largest international steroid investigation to date. The operation discovered several links to current or former law enforcement officers. This was predicted almost 20 years ago by an article in the FBI Law Enforcement Bulletin that stated, “Anabolic steroid abuse by police officers is a serious problem that merits greater awareness by departments across the country.1 In addition, a story on the television program 60 Minutes in 1989 titled “Beefing up the Force” featured three police officers who admitted steroid use and claimed that their resulting aggression got them in serious trouble."

Police Chief Magazine - View Article
Bunk...
Anyone who works for any department who does mandatory drug testing would fail such a test and be terminated...
Now.. there are a million to a million and a half police in the US...and many small departments MAY not test routinely unless for cause because of expense... and some may slip by

.. but widespread.. no.. serious issue for Leo.. not here in the west.. the mecca of body worship... not with routine drug testing...
But..people whose life focus is to hate police will find anything they can to hate police.I can't even remember when we had someone test positive for steroids...drugs..yes..and gone thank god..let them rot with all the other potheads and dopers

Last edited by notmeofficer; 08-24-2015 at 03:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Living rent free in your head
31,134 posts, read 13,651,906 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Bunk...
Anyone who works for any department who does mandatory drug testing would fail such a test and be terminated...
Now.. there are a million to a million and a half police in the US...and many small departments MAY not test routinely unless for cause because of expense... and some may slip by

.. but widespread.. no.. serious issue for Leo.. not here in the west.. the mecca of body worship... not with routine drug testing...
But..people whose life focus is to hate police will find anything they can to hate police.I can't even remember when we had someone test positive for steroids...drugs..yes..and gone thank god..let them rot with all the other potheads and dopers
I wonder how many agencies do any kind of routine drug testing? The one I worked in only did drug testing if an Officer was arrested, involved in a shooting incident or any incident involving death to another person or for involvement in a serious vehicle accident. Random drug testing was allowed in our MOU but never practiced. But it's been several years since I retired, so maybe that has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
3,510 posts, read 2,953,119 times
Reputation: 6379
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I had an adverse, phycological, reaction to steroid drugs , given for an inflammatory condition,
,
That is corticosteroids, big difference and not relevant to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2015, 06:34 PM
 
Location: Tampa (by way of Omaha)
13,943 posts, read 19,176,033 times
Reputation: 9175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Studies haven't really supported this supposed "roid rage" effect. If you're an ******* before you take steroids, you'll still be an ******* after taking them and vice versa. There isn't some magical "Mr Jekyll and Dr Hyde" effect where a mild mannered average guy turns into a super violent person. I think in general you already have to be prone to high levels of violence in the first place, which is something that should be caught in psych evaluations of an individual prior to hiring them as a police officer.




The effects of supraphysiological doses of testosterone on angry behavior in healthy eugonadal men--a clinical research center study. - PubMed - NCBI

The Myth Of "Roid Rage"? - Neuroskeptic
Beat me to it. Just more nonsense that gives steroids an underserved bad reputation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top