U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 05:38 PM

31,024 posts, read 13,584,112 times

Advertisements

A friend sent me this article today: Cop 'Roid Rage: Are Steroids Behind the Worst Police Abuses? | Alternet I would imagine that if an officer is involved in a shooting they would drug test him/her but I wonder if they also test for steroids? It's interesting, I've heard young cops talk about it, but I never saw any use steroids.

In the article, they reference several incidents of steroid use by cops in the past year;

Quote:
In June, a Jeffersonville, Ind., cop, Anthony Mills, resigned after pleading guilty to possession of steroids. His attorney told the media that Mills did not consider steroids to be illegal drugs.
In May, a federal grand jury indicted Steven Santucci, a former Newtown, Conn., police sergeant, as part of a broad steroids investigation, Operation Juice Box. Santucci is the accused kingpin of a ring of traffickers in steroids and prescription drugs from China. Others arrested include a marshal and a police dispatcher.
This spring, authorities in Edmonton, Alberta, revealed that a handful of police officers had been involved in the use or distribution of Stanozolol, the steroid commonly sold as Winstrol. More than 30 officers in Edmonton have been implicated in steroid use in the past few years, according to press reports there.
In January, a Portland, Ore., cop who faced firing for a positive steroid test was allowed to resign.
Last fall, a scandal rocked police in the Augusta, Ga., area when a man arrested for steroids possession gave authorities a list of steroid users among local law enforcement officers. At least one deputy resigned; authorities denied that the list included as many 30 others.
Also last fall, the Miami New Times revealed that Miami-Dade police officers had been customers of Biogenesis, a South Florida steroid clinic at the heart of professional baseball’s ongoing doping scandal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 05:47 PM

3,510 posts, read 2,948,247 times
Studies haven't really supported this supposed "roid rage" effect. If you're an ******* before you take steroids, you'll still be an ******* after taking them and vice versa. There isn't some magical "Mr Jekyll and Dr Hyde" effect where a mild mannered average guy turns into a super violent person. I think in general you already have to be prone to high levels of violence in the first place, which is something that should be caught in psych evaluations of an individual prior to hiring them as a police officer.

The effects of supraphysiological doses of testosterone on angry behavior in healthy eugonadal men--a clinical research center study. - PubMed - NCBI
Quote:
CONCLUSION:

Supraphysiological doses of testosterone, when administered to normal men in a controlled setting, do not increase angry behavior. These data do not exclude the possibility that still higher doses of multiple steroids might provoke angry behavior in men with preexisting psychopathology.
Quote:

But the whole “roid rage” theory is flawed, according to a new study from Swedish researchers Lena Lundholm and colleagues, published today in the journal Addiction: Anabolic androgenic steroids and violent offending

Lundholm et al say that previous research has found correlations between anabolic steroid use and violent criminal behaviour, but that this doesn’t establish causation. The authors suggest that the true cause of the association might be that people who use steroids also tend to use other drugs like amphetamines and cocaine – and that this ‘polysubstance abuse’ is what’s most strongly linked to violence.
In a study of over 10,000 Swedish males, Lundholm et al found that men who had been convicted of a violent crime were much more likely to report having used anabolic steroids (although the rates were still low in absolute terms: 2.7%, vs. 0.6% in men not convicted.) However, they say, “this association was substantially attenuated and lost statistical significance after adjusting for other lifetime substance abuse.” In other words, men who’ve used steroids are not more likely to be convicted of violence after accounting for other drug use.
The Myth Of "Roid Rage"? - Neuroskeptic

Old 08-21-2015, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Studies haven't really supported this supposed "roid rage" effect. If you're an ******* before you take steroids, you'll still be an ******* after taking them and vice versa. There isn't some magical "Mr Jekyll and Dr Hyde" effect where a mild mannered average guy turns into a super violent person. I think in general you already have to be prone to high levels of violence in the first place, which is something that should be caught in psych evaluations of an individual prior to hiring them as a police officer.
The effects of supraphysiological doses of testosterone on angry behavior in healthy eugonadal men--a clinical research center study. - PubMed - NCBI
The Myth Of "Roid Rage"? - Neuroskeptic
Thanks, that's interesting.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:04 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,824,059 times
Alternet is a terrible source of information.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Alternet is a terrible source of information.
take it for what it's worth, if you don't like the source then ignore the article and the thread. I posted it because a friend emailed it to me and I thought it was interesting.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:19 PM

2,605 posts, read 1,114,130 times
Cop 'Roid Rage: Are Steroids Behind the Worst Police Abuses?

I do think steroids effects one's behavior in certain individuals. This happened near where I grew up. The officer admitted using anabolic steroids and part of his sentencing was no future steroid use

Former NJ cop sentenced in '12 Doylestown mayhem

Imagine being a woman and getting pulled over by this guy late at night on a dark road:

Old 08-21-2015, 06:21 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,418,283 times
Most departments in California... all the large ones ....prohibit and test for steroids ..along with all other illegal drugs
It is an offense that results in immediate termination

Old 08-21-2015, 06:23 PM

3,744 posts, read 3,418,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Cop 'Roid Rage: Are Steroids Behind the Worst Police Abuses?

I do think steroids effects one's behavior in certain individuals. This happened near where I grew up. The officer admitted using anabolic steroids and part of his sentencing was no future steroid use

Former NJ cop sentenced in '12 Doylestown mayhem

Imagine being a woman and getting pulled over by this guy late at night on a dark road:
Any policeman all tatted like that already has issues... and the department has issues as well.looks like a dirt bag already...
I'm interested... since you referrenced him being a policeman... he was an ex policeman at the time of going nuts... I wonder
When did he use steroids.. is there any info on that
And why was he an
Ex cop......

Old 08-21-2015, 07:05 PM

14,154 posts, read 11,632,135 times
I had an adverse, phycological, reaction to steroid drugs , given for an inflammatory condition, once. I discontinued the stuff, immediately, and called the doctor. It was scary. Intense , violent, anger. The exact reverse of normal effects, according to the doctor, but not unheard of , either. Someone was provoking anger, at the time it happened, but the feelings that came up were not even my normal response . I was seeing the other persons head going plumb through the wall, and enjoying what I was envisioning. I exited, fast, and didn't come back for quite a while. Scared me.

As it was explained to me, this can happen. Its labeled a "phsycotic reaction". Why it happens is unknown. Something unique to an individual. Certain levels of this or that, that combined with the certain.drug can create a perfect storm. Its rare, and can't be predicted. There's no way to know. Generally, its not a concern, but, it IS a possibility. I would think that unsupervised, non medical use of steroids would be a BAD idea for cops.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:13 PM

2,605 posts, read 1,114,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Any policeman all tatted like that already has issues... and the department has issues as well.looks like a dirt bag already...
I'm interested... since you referrenced him being a policeman... he was an ex policeman at the time of going nuts... I wonder
When did he use steroids.. is there any info on that
And why was he an
Ex cop......
Sigh. I see you edited your original post to accuse me of misrepresentation.

You do know that a simple google search of his name would have provided the answers you seek, correct?

He was an ex-cop at the time of his sentencing. Believe it or not, he was immediately terminated from the force after he opened fire on the cops who responded to his false report of a civil dispute. Do you honestly think they would have kept him on the force until his trial was over? If so, that's scary.

He sent an email to his wife admitting his steroid use before the incident occurred, while he was still a cop.

Maybe it's my fault. Here's another article that was posted not long after the incident occurred.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201...at_pa_pol.html

Last edited by jburress; 08-21-2015 at 11:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events