U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 10:27 AM

14,253 posts, read 14,769,290 times

Advertisements

Remember, these guys did do what they did to become heroes. They did it because it was the right thing to do. I hope that they can just go back to living their lives free of hype and not being used as 'props' for ambitious politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 10:29 AM

2,004 posts, read 1,143,090 times
What is with the woman who has to plant her face in every picture? Did she do anything other than practice for picture taking day? Attention w-****.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:32 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,399,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Not trying to be nitpicky, but I would think the POTUS would do a lot more than make a phone call to congratulate these guys.
Weren't they still in France when Obama called?

What do you expect him to do, long distance?

How do you know there is nothing planned in the future (maybe when they get back home)?

Old 08-24-2015, 12:11 PM

7,705 posts, read 5,436,007 times
Based on Chattanooga, I hope the Reservists don't get court marshaled for stopping a disaster

They are all heroes!

Old 08-24-2015, 12:41 PM

11,088 posts, read 6,248,094 times
I suspect they will write a book, make a movie about the incident, and garner loads of hate mail from the Left for jumping to conclusions and being anti-Muslim bigots.

Old 08-24-2015, 02:45 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,956,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
What would you expect him to do? Buy each of them a new car? How about a brand new house? Declare a new holiday? Force congress to rename all French restaurants after them?
Gosh, you didn't catch on to the O-blamers ten years ago?

Old 08-24-2015, 03:16 PM

33,970 posts, read 32,443,924 times
Well, we only have 17 Republicans running for president...let's give the pundits 3 more reasons for heart palpitations.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:25 PM

11,759 posts, read 5,223,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Please...

The LEOs who apprehended Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and the civilian who alerted them to his presence in his backyard didn't go into hiding. The flight attendants and airline passengers who overpowered the shoe-bomber and the underwear-bomber didn't go into hiding. Many of these individuals were publicly identified in press reports.

Vigilance is a good thing. Pants-wetting fear borne of having 'no doubts' about something upon which recent history should give plenty of doubt is not a good thing.

As an aside, here's an article about the awarding of the Legion d'Honneur to the three individuals.
Americans, Briton who subdued gunman on train receive France's highest honor - LA Times

The words 'hero' and 'heroic' are terribly overused in our time. But in this instance, they are entirely warranted.
Yes, and Pam Geller is still alive. Isn't she?

Mick

Old 08-24-2015, 03:27 PM

11,759 posts, read 5,223,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Weren't they still in France when Obama called?

What do you expect him to do, long distance?

How do you know there is nothing planned in the future (maybe when they get back home)?
Nothing short of President falling to his knees and servicing these fine servicemen would be good enough for some people here. Long distance. I am sure Facebook is working on that.

Mick

Old 08-24-2015, 04:24 PM

10,098 posts, read 10,637,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Were the messages prerecorded?

"This is President Obama calling. Press star to continue in English. Press pound for Spanish. If you supported me in my last election, press one. If you love the ACA, press two. If you are a federal employee that needs a computer wiped, press three. If you are a union leader and want to schedule a stay in the Lincoln bedroom, press four. To purchase a copy of one of my books, press five. If you are member of the military and have done something people feel was brave, press six. Press seven to hear these options again. Thank you. Please be aware that your phone will be billed five dollars for this call which will be used to pay for all private charter 747 flights to Hawaii once I leave office."
From the OP:
Quote:
On a more cynical note, who will be the first person, politician or group to
try and turn this into something other than an incredible act of selfless
heroism?
Pedro Martinez, you take the cake today. Just goes to show that there is nothing so good and positive that some people won't use it as a pretense to attack our President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or